Coolant recovery tanks questions

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I have been looking into either repurposing or even purchasing a universal coolant recovery tank for my project. I have several questions.

What is the typical size recovery tank needed for a V8 to cycle the coolant? I am assuming 1 quart.

Being mine is a vertical flow radiator (top tank, bottom tank) if i fill it to where its only 1.5" to 2.0" below the filler neck, shouldent that be enough for initial circulation when cold, and hot expansion without a recovery tank? And if so is one really needed?

How did they do all those years ago without coolant recovery tanks?

Thanks
Matt

Matt, I think a quart is about borderline and a bit more would be ok.
I have what amounts to about a quart and it is barely enough for my 26 inch radiator on hot days.

The part I really like about having a recovery system is it NEVER pukes on the ground and the radiator is ALWAYS full to the top when I go out again.
You are correct about engines not having them in the earlier days, but you also have to keep in mind that an air bubble in the radiator will end up circulating that air through the cooling system at higher RPM's.
A closed system will not.

In my own opinion a non recovery system is fine for low RPM farm trucks and tractors.

I built mine from a shotgun shell thermos, plumbed in at the bottom between the two layers and vented between the layers on the inside of the neck, so if it ever does actually overflow it will come out of the bottom and not make a mess up top. :D

recovery.jpg

Last edited:
I ran for many years with just the rad and a puke hose. Once the rad finds it's equilibrium state, it never pukes again unless there is a problem. And then the puking coolant tells you so.
Eventually I caved in and installed a tank from a 73Dart(about 1.5 qts, maybe a tad more). They told me I had to have one to race on their track, so I obliged, no biggie.
In 10 years the liquid level has hardly budged.
My other classics(rust buckets) use the top of the tank for expansion.And on one of them I purposely pointed the puke hose into the fan blades,as an early warning system. And it worked,heehee.

Just picked up 2 new replacement 2003 hyundai tiburon coolant recovery tanks on closeout at rockauto. $4.95 each, 5% discount code and shipping $16.99 to my doorstep. Ones for my 67 notch, ones for my sons 69 notch. Good deal on these there were 6 left before i ordered the 2 i got. Go and get em.

Heres mine so far. I think it fits good. I need to put rivnuts in the framerail to mount the bottle bracket.

20161030_141954.jpg

20161030_142516.jpg

I use a vodka bottle I drilled two holes in the top and shoved the overflow hose down in and a puke hose in... it works awesome...

I boiled the lid to see if it would stand up to temp, and then sealed the hose with a little silicone. The bottle is a homage to the build, and all the mixed drinks involved.

I will eventually swap the rubber hoses out for copper.

-
Back