Cooling ?s

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
Driving around town today (~45 mph in 85* weather) my temp gauge read between 195*-200*, which is where it normally runs.

I then got onto the freeway, for about 7 miles, at 70 mph. The temp gauge climbed up to about 220*.

Got off the freeway, at my exit, and again drove 45 mph surface roads and the temp gauge returned back to its normal 195*-200* reading.

Should I be concerned?

Just went thru this with my Demon & I was concerned :banghead:

Temps like that at high speeds is usually a flow issue. I would have the radiator checked & also pull the t'stat and try boiling it in a pot of water to check it.....

Do you have a front hood to radiator support seal? Someone on FABO recently had a similar problem solved/help with a front seal.

Should I be concerned?

It was 85* in Michigan yesterday? lol

I wouldn't be nervous at 220, but that's just me. But, I run a 180* stat and on hot days like yesterday mine runs about 190* when at cruise, turning about 2600 RPM.

Steve has a point on the hood to core support seal, if you don't have one, it allows air to flow over the core support, over the top of the rad, and less going through the rad at cruise.

You are good for another 9 months at this point. I would be very concerned where I live because 85 F is very mild. We still have some >100 F days before winter.

Kit's point is very good. Check your mileage. Excessive fuel use is going into heat. A lot of people here put in wild "racing" cams that give crappy performance at idle and cruising rpm's. Besides bad mileage, noxious fumes, and poor driveability, they have over-heating issues. So, get your engine running optimally and it may need less cooling. Otherwise, many here have cured over-heating by switching to a new aluminum radiator.

Yes, I do have the hood to radiator seal.

I very rarely drive the freeway, but I figured a short burst was in order. 70 mph is about 3300 rpms. Most of my driving is around 45 mph on surface streets.

I'm sure a new radiator is on the "to do" list (as I believe this one is original (as is most of the car)).

Yes, I do have the hood to radiator seal.

I very rarely drive the freeway, but I figured a short burst was in order. 70 mph is about 3300 rpms. Most of my driving is around 45 mph on surface streets.

I'm sure a new radiator is on the "to do" list (as I believe this one is original (as is most of the car)).

you got hood scoops that aren`t sealed to the caeb. ??

Was that temp reading taken at the usual location?

Somebody said advance.And thats a very good point. If your engine isnt running enough advance under cruise conditions, it wont be making the cruise power that it could be making with the correct amount of advance. This will then require more throttle input, which will burn more fuel than it needs to. More fuel means more heat created. Which means more work for the cooling system. Meanwhile the late ignition means that perhaps not all the fuel has enough time to burn in the chamber. Some of it may continue to burn in the exhaust system, creating more heat. Some of this exhaust heat may spend time trapped under the hood.And if you dont have a fresh-air system, this hot air will find its way back into and through the carb. So you can see a vicious circle developing here.
So, if you dont have a vacuum advance dizzy, or cold air induction,you can expect problems. Under light throttle cruising at 3300, the engine will probably want 50 to 60 degrees of timing.This will require experimentation on your part. My mild 360 with aluminum heads is quite happy with 45* to 50* at 2150@62mph(O/D). Your fuel economy will increase as well, so its worth it to figure this out for someone who does spend significant time on the hi-way.
Your results may vary.

BTW,, 220* is a good number, as long as it never climbs much higher.I'd be more concerned with oil temps. Most oils will handle about 250*. After that,somewhere around 270, they start to smoke and boil of some constituents, which makes them done.
My 360 has been running 220 for years and years.

-
Back