Coonhounds......

-

440swinger-kid

Reaction score
So I have a year old Bluetick Coonhound and I still cant get him trained. He is just now starting to like attention. For the longest time he didnt want to sit still and I understand he wants to go track something but I just dont know how to keep his attention. He is now treeing squirrels in the back yard but still dont come and sit or stay. Any ideas on what to do or try to do to teach him? Hes a good dog but just dont listen very well and I know they say they dont mature til they're about two years old could this be why?

Here is Jake....
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=108763&stc=1&d=1257568989

020 (2).jpg

Hate to rub it in but I'm working on a 3 month old that allready knows sit and stay and outside and come here. 1 year seems like a very long time for the basics. I'd start by first getting his hearing checked, seriously.

Mines name is Jake also, good name.

Terry

He knows when you call him and he will do the command but only for a few seconds then hes up walking around like he is A.D.D. or something? He has gotten better in the last month or so. He is a family pet and I dont want to hunt with him but he enjoys tracking and treeing squirrels, do you think I should try to let him get ahold of a coon will that help him in anyway start to obey me better? Do you think having him fixed would benefit in anyway? Im in it for the long haul for him my wife hates him and his bark but hes and damn nice dog and good watch dog and he protects my 2 year old daughter first and formost so all I really want to be able to do is be able to take him with me places and allow him to run free but im having so much trouble. I guess Beagles are just easier to teach?

Getting him fixed might calm him down some and be able to concentrate better and I would enrol him in obedious classes. I'm not sure what you mean by Beagles are easier to train.

Terry

My wife has a female blue tick, maybe I could send Gracie (the dog, not my wife..well maybe I can send both) and she could teach your dog by example. Of course, I never want Gracie back!!

If Coon Hounds are anything like Basset Hounds they are stubborn and hard to train. My Basset will sit and shake but it took a lot of work. You need to reward him with treats.

Where do you live? If you want him to actually hunt coon you need to find the closest coonhunters club either UKC OR PKC OR AKC. go to a meeting or a hunt. Take the dog with you and ask questions and if you are lucky one of the old guys will help you. They will tell you in a heart beat if your dog will hunt. If you just want him to be a house dog put a shock collar on him and that will cure the A.D.D REAL FAST. I have been around hounds and dogs for ever.My son has the only 5 way Grand Campion female English coonhound alive and now has a 2 year old female that is a grand night and a State Champ.If you want to hunt this dog go to Scenicairkennels.com and email my son and mabe he can head you in the right direction.

Too funny. Aint nothin wrong with your dog. Looks by the pic to be a cross between a Bluetick and a Walker. That's not a bad thing. You say he's treeing squirrels in the backyard. In my neck of the woods that makes him worth $1000. That dog wasn't bred to sit and shake hands. That dog is bred to trail and hunt but to get him goin good you'll have to spend a lot of nights away from the wife and kids out in the woods where the coons live. Several of my old buddies always kept an old hound around their place whether it would tree or not. They would tell the wife they were going out hunting when they wanted to chase some *****. They would tie the dog up at some buddies house and go chasin tail then go get their dog and go home when they were done chasin the bitches. Keep him on the squirrels and find someone in your area that hunts coon and ask if you can take your young dog along. Lots of fun. Coons are good to eat too......young ones that is.
Small Block

if you keep him on that chain you will have a hard time training him.he needs to get out and run to burn off energy.if you dont have time to take him on walks every night he will have pined up engery and when you let him off the chain he will go crazy and will not listen.once you burn off his energy try having him sit and stay.i bet he will do what you wont a lot better.if you dont have time to take him on long walks get a tredmill and put him on that.on the other hand if you wont a coon dog leave him on the chain and run him with good coon dog he will follow the other bog and when they tree a coon pull the other dog off and let your dog fight the coon.he will start to hunt coons before you know it.take him hunting with the other dog quite a few times so he dont start running the coon backwards.it dont mater if a coon dog listens to you or not they will be in the woods tracking/running coon.you will be going to where they are treeing.

slippery440 where do you live i had a grand night champ back in the mid to late 70s.my dad and i got out of coon hunting when the price for pelts fell out.

I live in N.Y, in the Finger Lakes region . I started to hunt in the late 60s and now my son has taken over and he is 29 now and has hunted since he was old enough to walk in the woods. Great sport. He loves the competion hunts. He almost won this years World hunt at the Autum Oaks hunt with the 2 year old English female.

ya i liked the competion hunts to.my dad got me started hunting when i was young to.i liked the fights between the dogs and coon the best.

When I was a kid, my dad used to raise Coonhounds He had 2 West Virginia Champions. They were Cherry River Walkers "Gale" and "Sailor". One of their offspring was "Prettyboy" He was white with a black saddle and a brown muzzle. His chest was so broad, it was wider that two hand-spans of a grown man. He was a champion as well. He had several Bench Posing trophies for Prettyboy. Dad retired him when he was 5 and "Prettyboy" became a breeder and our family pet.

:sad10: He died in 1978 at the age of 11 after being bit by a Copperhead Snake on the neck while Dad had him out hunting squirrel.

I can still him singing on a hot trail in the dark West Virginia hollows on a full moon.

:grommit:

Like mentioned earlier, get that dog off the chain and let him be your buddy. Have him with ya at every opportunity. Make him your buddy. We grew up with several different dogs of several different breeds. The two hounds that i remember most were two Redbone gips. Started them on the wifes house cats then we graduated to squirrels. You had to have your running shoe on when you squirrel hunted with these two dogs. They'd tree and as soon as you popped that one they were off to tree another. Then we hit the woods at night. They were my buddies. Beautiful hounds and some great tunes in the night. A real champion brings some Big Big money for those of you that dont know. I remember when coon hides were worth something. There were old timers in the area that would set on the porch all day and spit backer at the chickens and draw a welfare check then hit the woods at night and kill 10 or so coons and sell the hides for $40 each or more and set back and tell ya how hard times were. They'd do this 3 or 4 nights a week. Figure up that paycheck. Then the tree huggers got hold of it and started the save the fur bearer campaign. In my day, i've fallen out of taller trees than most people have climbed while shakin one out. Like Jerry Clower said "Shoot up here amongst us, someones got to have some relief". Find ya a good corn patch and start your hunt there. Coons love corn. So do squirrels.
Small Block

just finished fencing in the yard for our 12 week old bluetick. She spent all day running and playing with our australian cattle dog outside and now she's chasing the cat through the house,,,,,but at least she knows sit and will respond to her name.We use chicken franks sliced,diced,and dehydrated for training treats.Take him off the chain and spend some quality time treating him more as part of the family, you'll be amazed at the difference this could make. Good luck

small block i remember back in the mid to late 70s my dad bought a brand new truck with the cash we got from the hides.them dam thee hugers came along and the price fell out.

Yeah I have been taking him places more lately and he is improving and I may get him fixed to try to calm him down. Last night around midnight he started barking wanting out so we took a walk and the crazy dog almost got a cat around the corner fro me. I didnt know there was a cat next to a tree and as we walked by the cat climbed on the side of the tree so Jake followed and almost got the damn cat surprised the hell outta me it seems like the past 3 or 4 months he has really got into this hunt mode. I may try to go hunting with him and another guy/dog to see if he has it in him.

Oh, he's got it in him ok. You just need to get out of the house and relate to what he's bred for....or maybe...you need a poodle. By the way. Did he bark tree on the cat? Dont scold him for it, as a matter of fact coax him on and slap on the tree with your hand and talk to him while your doing it. Aint nothin wrong with that dog.....cut his nuts out? Maybe the owner? A champion aint worth much without nuts. It's been said a one time champion was worth $143000 in stud fees alone. Stay after it with him and good luck. I really dont think your a poodle guy. I've had a lot of dogs that werent world champions but they were champions in my eyes.
Small Block

Try sign language. Come is "reach your arm out fingers up palm towards you, pull in , fingers down then pat your knee once". Sit is "down motion with flat hand, palm down". Try being silent. Be calm. Think clearly what you want your dog to do. Expect him to do what you want.

-
Back