Cop Wheels / Rallye Centers???

-

64ragtop

Reaction score
I've got a set of 15X7" cop wheels, and some generic stainless trim rings that fit from the outside to the valve stem. Also have some REALLY COOL custom made Stainless steel 2.5" high early barracuda lug nuts, and for the crowning touch, I want to use LBP Rallye centers. With the rims painted to match the ragtop's bright red body, and the dark grey centers, I think they'll look mighty fine.

What I'm trying to find out before I drop a bunch of money in the mail, is will the rallye centers fit the cop wheels. I haven't found an outside diameter measurement for the centers, and that's the critical part of the fitment. Oh. the cop wheels only have three holes in between the lug holes, instead of five. But I have a drillpress, so - N.P.!!!

I've found three possible sources:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...o=CRX&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/pdfs/56-61_access_pt2.pdf (7 rows from the bottom of the page)

http://www.specialtywheelsltd.org/center-caps.html (third row from the top)

Does anyone have THE answer, the outside measurement of the Rallye centers, and any experience with these dealers or these wheel centers???

Thanks!

I've got a set of 15X7" cop wheels, and some generic stainless trim rings that fit from the outside to the valve stem. Also have some REALLY COOL custom made Stainless steel 2.5" high early barracuda lug nuts, and for the crowning touch, I want to use LBP Rallye centers. With the rims painted to match the ragtop's bright red body, and the dark grey centers, I think they'll look mighty fine.

What I'm trying to find out before I drop a bunch of money in the mail, is will the rallye centers fit the cop wheels. I haven't found an outside diameter measurement for the centers, and that's the critical part of the fitment. Oh. the cop wheels only have three holes in between the lug holes, instead of five. But I have a drillpress, so - N.P.!!!

..snip..

Does anyone have THE answer, the outside measurement of the Rallye centers, and any experience with these dealers or these wheel centers???

Thanks!

70-71 ONLY center WILL fit Cop rims. The 72 up acorn style WILL NOT fit

webcdaRtsidepark2.JPG

If you follow through, please post a picture!
C

Thanks for the post, Redfastback!
C

Excellent news, folks! And mighty purty photos, redfastback!!! Since the ragtop is nearly the same shade of red as your fastback, a good preview as well. I found my trim rings at Hubcap Annie's here in Austin, Texas. They'll cover the edge of the rim, but I think I like yours better. If ya don't mind, where did ya get the rings and center caps from, please.

Did you drill the extra holes in the wheel as I mentioned in the original post. A friend of mine said that three studs ought to hold just fine, but I tend to think that overkill is better than uncertainty. Thanks again!

P.S. NICE website and business. I wish you all success and satisfaction!!!

http://www.classicsbysteve.com/

And THANKS for the replies, all!!

BC

Yessir thats different. Looks good !
I painted the 14" rallyes Spiniker white like the body paint on our first B'cuda. Put red painted dust shields behind them. Matched the red interior and kept the disc brake dust off the white too.

my trim rings are the 3005 series from wheel vintiques. the hot rod ones. they sell them with 3 lines in them as well. good thing is they are stainless and not chrome.

If my memory is correct, Wheel Vintiques has reduced their prices for the Rallye centers significantly. I had an email from them that stated their Rallye centers would NOT fit the police wheels. Those factors considered, I bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...o=CRX&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4

They are scheduled for delivery this coming Wednesday, so we shall see what we shall see.

Interesting comment from bill55az, about the three hole mounting for the centers. I've never (yet) seen a Rallye wheel without a center mounted, but I noticed that one picture in the ad for the centers I bought showed 20 screws and washers. I leapt to the conclusion that there are five mounting holes on Rallye wheels and worried that the three holes on my police wheels might not be sufficient.

And while on that subject, the picture of the police wheel in the Wheel Vintiques site seems to show NO holes, though they do mention a measurement that I suppose indicates that the dog dish caps will work on them.

Waitin' for Wednesday! More will be revealed!!!

BC

Most small centers bolt on with 3 screws, so most mopar wheels will have the 3 small holes in the center. Cop car rims usually had NO small holes as they used a pop on center hub cab, but of the 3 sets that I have had, a few had the 3 holes as well. The wheels with 5 little holes inbetween the big ones are common and maybe they went to 5 for some other reason.? I have a set of those on an 80 Lebaron with the wire wheel looking hub caps that snap on , so the little holes are not used. But older wire wheel hub caps had a center bolted cover that had to come off (need a special tool thatwould have been part of the jack/lug wrench kit) so you could get to the lug nuts and under that was a "standoff" thing that was held down by 3 small bolts, IIRC, and I suppose you could pick any 3 of the 5 to do that. I don't remember ever seeing a factory wheel using all 5 little holes, but that don't mean it ain't so.

70-71 ONLY center WILL fit Cop rims. The 72 up acorn style WILL NOT fit

Why is that?

I have interchanged the acorn and sombrero center caps on ralley wheels before and have never noticed anything different about they way they fit the wheels that would make one work and one not.

Most small centers bolt on with 3 screws, so most mopar wheels will have the 3 small holes in the center. Cop car rims usually had NO small holes as they used a pop on center hub cab, but of the 3 sets that I have had, a few had the 3 holes as well. The wheels with 5 little holes inbetween the big ones are common and maybe they went to 5 for some other reason.?

FWIW, The 72+ acorn center caps and the 70-71 sombrero center caps are mounted to the wheel with 5 screws. Both my 72+ 14" rally wheels and the Wheel viniques 15" Rally wheels I have have 5 holes drilled in the rim for the mounting screws. I am quite sure 3 whould hold them fine but why not just drill the other two holes and use all 5 of the bosses on the back of the Rally center cap to be sure?

Why is that?

I have interchanged the acorn and sombrero center caps on ralley wheels before and have never noticed anything different about they way they fit the wheels that would make one work and one not.

he's right. i had an acorn and sombrero style in my hand when i chose mine years ago. the acorn had too big of a diameter on the bottom that went into the wheel. it sucked since i wanted acorns over the sombreros.

he's right. i had an acorn and sombrero style in my hand when i chose mine years ago. the acorn had too big of a diameter on the bottom that went into the wheel. it sucked since i wanted acorns over the sombreros.

And YOU are talking about the cop wheels, while HE is talking about Rallye wheels, right??? Oh, well, it makes no diff to me, 'cause I bought the sombreros. I like 'em better than the acorns, and as I am so fond of saying, my car, my money, MY CHOICES!!!

According to the fedex tracking site, my centers haven't moved since Saturday, but they are still showing delivery tomorrow. I just want 'em in house to check quality, and shoot some better detailed photos. The seller has a thirty day return policy, so it they're junk - BACK they go! But, I'd rather believe the best of the maker and seller at least 'til I see the product.

Sorry I didn't post this followup "way back when", but other stuff got in the way, and I still haven't got the project done! But I kinda left this thread hangin' and wanted to add this report.

I did receive the Rallye centers as scheduled, and they look really good to me.

RallyeCenter04_Medium_.JPG

RallyeCenter02_Medium_.JPG

And, to be clear, I have no relationship with this ebay seller, other than as a satisfied customer.

I to have the Cop Rims with the sombrero style center caps.What I did was drill the rims in three places to mount them.I also tapped the cap mounting holes for 1/4" 20 then used stainless bolts.The red rims do look good.

Cop Rim.jpg

-
Back