copper vs pvc compressor lines?

-
Looks like I'll be changing out my PVC also... I have had my line break a couple of times and it was never a major catastrophe but I'm not taking anymore chances... Glad I read this...

My plan was to run 1/2" black pipe but the price of the Northern Tools kit was too good to pass up. I know what I will be doing days off!

Having worked in the heating / cooling (HVAC / R) field, I'm used to black pipe, but I also would not be the least afraid of brazed copper. "Silfos" is easy to use with an oxy/ acet torch and requires no flux.

Biggest problem is COST Many welding stores won't sell "by the stick" IE they won't open a box. You might "friendly up" to a local refrigeration outfit.

Sad part is that I've got the cutter and threader for the iron pipe but I'm getting old and lazy. lol

I just threaded a bit of 1/2 and 3/4 pipe by hand not too long ago. It's gotten a LOT harder (for me). When I was doing HVAC work, this is a van I put together. It was a passenger van, I built everything, the ladder rack, bulkhead, and shelves. The vise unplugs like a hitch receiver and I could plug a pipe vise in there, with a little bracket between the side doors to support a long length.

Used to use one of these:

ridgid-model-690-power-threading.jpg

This is the ol' Dodge. Year after that the boss bought me a shiny new GMC 1 T van, and I "had" to build everything all over again. GMC was first rig I ever had with ABS brakes. Early 90's I forget when. I still have that little green vise, LOL

Attachments

• img028cs.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 354
  • img049cs.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 442
My head porter /buddy ,did A/C for 10 years. These damn A/C service vans,are always overloaded.,Geez.

My plan was to run 1/2" black pipe but the price of the Northern Tools kit was too good to pass up. I know what I will be doing days off!

I am really lookin at that kit too. I like it a lot. I would want the 3/4" I think though, because I have my media blaster on that compressor and if I do any painting, it will also be done on that compressor. The small portable I have only has a 30 gallon tank and that's not enough volume. My big compressor is a 120 gallon tank.

Looks like you had that van earnin every bit of its pay, Del. Good job.

I just threaded a bit of 1/2 and 3/4 pipe by hand not too long ago. It's gotten a LOT harder (for me). When I was doing HVAC work, this is a van I put together. It was a passenger van, I built everything, the ladder rack, bulkhead, and shelves. The vise unplugs like a hitch receiver and I could plug a pipe vise in there, with a little bracket between the side doors to support a long length.

Used to use one of these:

ridgid-model-690-power-threading.jpg

This is the ol' Dodge. Year after that the boss bought me a shiny new GMC 1 T van, and I "had" to build everything all over again. GMC was first rig I ever had with ABS brakes. Early 90's I forget when. I still have that little green vise, LOL

You can do black pipe without threads. The fittings are more money, but goes fast. It's called pro press. The local supply house loans there jaws when you buy it there. The jaws are clamped down with a battery powered drill.

I could see running 3/4" if I would be using 2 - 3 outlets at once, but being a one man operation I can't justify the additional cost.

I could see running 3/4" if I would be using 2 - 3 outlets at once, but being a one man operation I can't justify the additional cost.
having been a plumber for 42+ yesrs, I`m not the least afraid of sch. 80 pvc as a floating system---been in forso many yrs, I can`t remember-----bob

I am really lookin at that kit too. I like it a lot. I would want the 3/4" I think though, because I have my media blaster on that compressor and if I do any painting, it will also be done on that compressor. The small portable I have only has a 30 gallon tank and that's not enough volume. My big compressor is a 120 gallon tank.

I always run 3/4" myself since I end up branching off and running air lines everywhere because I want the least amount of hose possible laying in the floor. When I do mine this time there will even be a line attached to the lift. I am doing the same thing with my electric.

Looks like you had that van earnin every bit of its pay, Del. Good job.

I did!!! It was a slant, too.

So far as threading black, Lowes here threads and cuts lengths of pipe. Look around. We have one local supplier who sells threaded black or galvanized nipples up through 1 ft in 1/2" lengths, then 18", 2 ft and 3 ft, so you could use those for short lengths.

Sunbelt rentals rents a power pipe threader for $36 day. Bet you could lay your whole shop out and thread everything in a hour or two. I would run all main lines in 3/4. not that much more expensive and you might want to use a sandblaster or big impact some day. My 1" is an air hog and the air hogs or DA's use a lot of air also

I had everything measured when I went to the hardware store, and they cut and threaded it all to my lengths for no extra charge. Didn't take him long and it all worked perfect. My setup only consists of about 8 or 9 straight lengths at this time though.

im ditching my pvc that ive had for years just to be safe,,i had a friend lose a eye to a bench grinder with a wire wheel on it but im gonna keep my bench grinder with the wire wheel ,, no sense taking chances as I do a lot of paint / bodywork and have pvc run all through my 3500 sq ft shop

One other thing to consider. A hose reel on the cieling in the middle will reach 50' in any direction and stores nicely and a outlet by the front door lets you get farther out in the drive way. Nice to be outside when things are smokey or dirty. SANDBLASTING IN DOORS BLOWS !!!

Newbie here will introduce myself later,my ? is for shops that are commercial,what about your INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS,from my experience they usually follow A.S.M.E. codes or A.S.T.M testing data.I could be wrong,but are your shops inspected?

What im saying is your insurance inspector will TELL you what to run.OR they wont cover you.

When I owned my mattress manufacturing company, I never had a insurance inspector darken my door. The fire chief came in once to check my fire extinguishers and when he found out I had a company contracted to maintain them, he never darkened the door again.

That's cool we here in mass have to have our air tanks inspected yearly,amongst a bunch of other sh**.

There's another option HDPE pipe. It's high density plastic and is certified as air lines depending on your needs. I'm an IT guy by profession but have a client that likes me to spec out almost anything for him. When he built a new building and needed to run lines for his dual air compressors to it, over 100 yards, and inside the building I came across this material. It works great. Not the cheapest but very nice stuff.

http://webcat.rhfs.com/familydetails.aspx?FamID=779

-
Back