Correct Ball Joint still not fitting - What am i missing?

-

leederman

Reaction score
Have just pulled out old upper ball joints on a 73 Duster 340. Ready to install a new PST upper ball joint (large size for MY73) And it will not fit. Seems to be about 1mm larger in diameter than the old one. In the picture the old one is on the left and new one is on the right. The diameter difference is in the threaded body not the nut which is the same on both. Ignore the socket that's for the small ball joint.

Any help will be appreciated.

upper%2520balls.JPG

i think i read there is an oversize ball joint for striped out control arms im not sure tho

The part number for the upper control arm is 3402 702-3. I'm not sure where to look on the arm. The parts manual does not distinguish between the L and R UCA. WTH?

Seeing how the ball joint on the left is cobbled up, it wouldn't surprise me if other creative parts exchanges had been made.

I remember all the chowder heads back when I was a kid who would put mopar control arms in a press to push the ball joints out. I believe thats why the over size on your part.

You might have the small ball joint to replace. Because there has been so much altering on these cars over the years, Even if you have the large bolt pattern disc brakes you could have a sleeve in the spindle to accomodate the smaller ball joint.
Good luck

I just replaced some on my duster the way the threads start I had to press the ball joint in part of the way on my shop press before the threads would ever engage.

I just saw your post and have a few questions. Was the car you have for export or did you buy it in the states and have it shipped over recently. Also what is the production date of your car?

Thanks
James

The difference between large and small is obvious, so that's not your problem. It is best to get the threads close to starting and rotate the ball joint LEFT as though you are removing it. You will feel when the joint drops on the first thread.

As for the part number of the arm, it's right there in the numbers you posted. One side ends in "2" and the other ends in "3".

I just saw your post and have a few questions. Was the car you have for export or did you buy it in the states and have it shipped over recently. Also what is the production date of your car?

Thanks
James

James this Duster is an import from the US and is an August 73 Production Car.

It sounds like the problem could be any number of things and possibly complicated by previous modifications. With the car suspension stripped and sitting on a hoist i need a solution in the fastest time possible so I've ordered a set of small balljoints from PST, a set of large Moog balljoints from rockauto and a reco set of upper control arms. In this assortment of parts I'll be surprised if i can't solve it. What i don't use I'll sell off after. I'll post back the final result.

-
Back