Correct Disc Brake Caliper for 68’ Dart

-

BullyDodge

Reaction score
I’ll try and attach a photo. I purchased this car where the seller was trying to make a “Mr. Norm” clone 68’ Dart. I’m mostly a c-body guy do am not familiar with this issue. The problem is the caliper is jamming on the lower control arm limiting the turning right or left. It’s jamming
6D08D89C-9DF6-4622-81D6-2EA87F3865E2.jpeg
on the lower LCA bead. Would this be the correct caliper or is my whole system kind of bastardized?

Your vehicle was converted to the large bolt pattern, disc brakes (4 1/2 inch bolt pattern)
You most likely have 73-76 A body disc brakes.
Original disc brakes on a 65-72 A body car would be the 4 piston caliper, Kelsey Hayes system, disc brakes.

This is what's original for your car, if it's an original disc brake car, or converted over from drum brakes.

You can fix your problem by reversing the spindles, and calipers side to side, having them face rearward.
Then you will need to use "F" body hoses, or 69 Camaro hoses.

Kelsey Hayes A Body Brakes 2014 001 (Copy).JPG

Last edited:
Even converted to the later disks as that one appears to be the caliper and the lower control arm shouldn’t be anywhere near each other. Something is seriously screwy there. Got any other pictures showing the entire assembly?

EC0A5F99-50C4-442B-85A8-ED2F62152299.jpeg
B386D7F7-FA78-475F-A45F-9B8893D538D1.jpeg
B6DAB54A-DBFC-471C-9E60-738B1A2AF927.jpeg
29B09BDC-52E5-48DA-BE34-6E794C98C403.jpeg
F5C2C3F4-493C-4255-8917-5F962813AD7D.jpeg
Even converted to the later disks as that one appears to be the caliper and the lower control arm shouldn’t be anywhere near each other. Something is seriously screwy there. Got any other pictures showing the entire assembly?
EC0A5F99-50C4-442B-85A8-ED2F62152299.jpeg
B386D7F7-FA78-475F-A45F-9B8893D538D1.jpeg
B6DAB54A-DBFC-471C-9E60-738B1A2AF927.jpeg
29B09BDC-52E5-48DA-BE34-6E794C98C403.jpeg
F5C2C3F4-493C-4255-8917-5F962813AD7D.jpeg

You can see where the binding is occurring on the LCA by the silver indentation. I bet I am only getting about 1/2 turning radios.

Are those B body calipers on A body spindles? The spindles should be swapped side to side - so the caliper is to the rear, and the bleeder is "up" at the top.

Are those B body calipers on A body spindles? The spindles should be swapped side to side - so the caliper is to the rear, and the bleeder is "up" at the top.

Those ARE NOT "B" body calipers.
73 up B body calipers have an entirely different flex hose location on the caliper.
And 70-72 B body calipers were the "pin type" design.

The op has 73-76 A body brakes, as earlier discussed.

Ok, so it appears to be some consensus I am in a 73-76 A Body Brake situation. There is definitely something not right and there was much not right in this attempted redo of this car so completely possible it is askew. I lost my photos when the car was assembled and am not disputing anyone's suggestion here. The calipers seem to be at the rear given the location of the steering assembly and the torsion bar insert on the LCA. I agree the bleeding screw should be at the top of the cylinders however they are both inside of the car. They could perhaps be "right-left" switched which should (not near the car right now) put the bleeding screws at the top, I'm thinking. The pictures look like the caliper is asymmetrical but I could be wrong. If they are not, switching the calipers may provide the proper clearance.

Look to see if you have two calipers of the same side.
2 Righties.
2 Lefties.
Easy enough to look.

Ok, I have swapped the Calipers (which were incorrect mounting) and now it is not binding in the same spot. It appears the lca has an “ear” on one side and the the lower ball joint arm is binding on the arm. I don’t believe they could be reversed as the Caliper were since the torsion bars can only be inserted one way. I don’t have another A-body to compare but a work around might to reduce the “ear” on the lca. I thought the steering box was the limit function.

6093386F-63F8-4562-ABEF-33B2D6E992D9.jpeg

719BBAA8-F748-41D2-91CE-CE10E3BE2CC8.jpeg

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but I think these bumps are the travel stops. If its all together right and both sides turning together under the car nothing else contacts. Of course you can get some strange conflicts with it laying in the floor.

lower ball joint travel stop.jpeg

Yes those are the travel limit stops. They need them to stay within the design parameters of the cars ability to not turn too sharp, cause the can cause a few adverse effects such as a wheel folding over in a hard fast turn. I hope I explained this right. If not someone smarter than me will. Kim

Look to see if you have two calipers of the same side.
2 Righties.
2 Lefties.
Easy enough to look.

Did you check the calipers as Jim suggested above? In post #4, your bleeder screw is on the bottom. If they aren't now both at the top, you will never get the brakes bled.

Also do the lower ball joints not bolt to the stub axle with a low headed bolt from ball joint side to threaded section of stub axle not affixed with a bolt and nut

Also do the lower ball joints not bolt to the stub axle with a low headed bolt from ball joint side to threaded section of stub axle not affixed with a bolt and nut

That varies with year model/type of spindle. Some had threaded holes in the spindle where others have through bolts with nuts.

Ok thanks for that info here in Aus al ours have the small headed bolt into the stub axle

Problem silver I. The leftie righty this wiry the calipers. Bleed screws is not on top. Thanks for that. I really didn’t think someone who works on various cars could get that wrong but whatever. I agree, sitting on the floor makes it impractical to duplicate turning radius as installed. I am waiting to get the 440 machined and install as a k-frame assembly. We’ll see where we are at when that’s done. Likley be a couple weeks before I can report back. Thanks all, very helpful.

-
Back