Correct engine paint

-

Pjs67Fish

Reaction score
i am in the process of building a 340 stroker for my 67 formula S barracuda and had a question about engine paint colors.

What I am doing I think will be very cool but maybe blasemy. I got the 4.125 stroker kit from BPE and it works out to 426 in a 340 block (technically a 428 with the over bore but I m not calling it a ford displacement. What’s a couple cubic inches amoungst friends?)

I also have an Edelbrock NOS STR crossram and I m going to install and it being a 426 I think it will be cool to paint it orange instead of red and put the 426 max wedge air cleaners and decals on the valve covers.

But looking online some decals (super stock I, II, or III are a different orange color between them. I am assuming some max wedges got painted street hemi orange and some race hemi orange. Which color is which decal? Personally I prefer the III because it seems exotic.

Also anyone know of what year small block valve covers didn’t have the breather and oil fill in the center? The decals won’t fit unless those are offset to the front or back.

Thanks for your help!

I think all SB had something in the center of the VC

But then the custom welded aluminum are flat in the middle

here is a post of the 2 hemi oranges (pumpkin is race hemi and red-orange is street hemi) and a later Turquoise? From Moparts: "...Frank Badelson sells Race Hemi & Street Hemi Orange, as well as Chrysler Red, Blue, and Turqoise. He sells it in pints or quarts, it's a VERY high quality match to original..." may still be at [email protected] but its 9 year old post.
upload_2018-8-26_21-50-28.png

5650960-maxie1.jpg

;topic=3365.png

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=53660.jpg

Race Hemi orange looks fantastic, really pops especially with a white base coat I painted my old 360 that color. I'm painting my 5.9L Magnum with Eddy heads turquoise now and that also looks great.

IMO street hemi orange is too close to Chevy orange and that's unacceptable to me lol, far too many engines out there painted some shade of red

Frank Badelson sells Race Hemi & Street Hemi Orange, as well as Chrysler Red, Blue, and Turqoise. He sells it in pints or quarts, it's a VERY high quality match to original.

he also says that there is a 340 orange thats different then the street hemi orange.... you can get ahold of him here: Frank Badalson Home

i wouldn't do max wedge decas on a small block.. think they would just look out of place. but hey its not my car...

i prefer the street hemi orange out of the oranges....

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

-
Back