Cost of Paint and Bodywork?!

-
I'm still waiting for my estimate. My teeth are not straight and they wobble. lol

Lol depends on insurance. My crown fee is $1250 if you have insurance depending on the insurance it could be 750-890 per tooth. So in essence I take a 40% hit on certain insurances, which is why a lot of Drs are choosing to not be contracted providers anymore.

think of it as if I went to a body shop and said hey you gave me a 20k quote but I have AAA insurance so you have to do the same work for 10-14k. And the people who are the biggest pains in the *** are the people with the shittiest insurance or Medicaid.

No insurance, I'm paying cash. lol

Lol. Depends on how extensive of a plan you want. I’m a more conservative dentist. Don’t fix what ain’t broke, crown a cracked tooth some root canals some implants. If you want the Hollywood toilet bowl white, perfect smile I’m the wrong person to see. Not that I can’t do it just I prefer to avoid the headache that comes with those patients.

A new Hollywood smile costs anywhere from 20-50k depending on the Dr. most of those Drs are contracted with insurance anyway.

Is this really what a 20k paint job looks like (the grey truck)?!
Imperfections all through out where the body panels meet, paint chipping where the hood closes, not clear as glass and a babies ***?

I get that paint and body work is a skill, one which I don’t have. But for 20k at a local shop do you really get that many imperfections, especially after waiting for a year to get in? Is the guy lying about the cost of it maybe? **** my neighbor paid 3k for the same quality of a paint job at Maaco and was in and out within 2 weeks…

The orange one is for sale but tons of orange peel and I think he wants more than 25k for the car.

And people complain about the cost of dental work or a crown that lasts many many years, that you never see and use all day every day and it’s only 3-600 out of pocket costs.

At this cost I should make a plastic paint booth and buy it to do myself. I’d be pissed if I paid 20k for a paint job and had that many imperfections.

View attachment 1716078127

View attachment 1716078128

View attachment 1716078129

View attachment 1716078130

View attachment 1716078131

View attachment 1716078132

View attachment 1716078133
No, a 20K paint job should be better than that. A lot. I just had a friend get his 48 Ford Coupe painted. Spent 14.5K. It looks worse than a Maaco paint job. It's just awful. I know who did it, too and they should be ashamed. Trash in it. Fisheye, runs, horrible prep work and on and on. I wouldn't expect perfection for that money, but a whole lot better than what he got. Also, they originally quoted him a solid 10K. He told them he just wanted a decent "driver" job. It came in almost 5K over budget and looks like hell. I could have done a better job. Drunk.

No, a 20K paint job should be better than that. A lot. I just had a friend get his 48 Ford Coupe painted. Spent 14.5K. It looks worse than a Maaco paint job. It's just awful. I know who did it, too and they should be ashamed. Trash in it. Fisheye, runs, horrible prep work and on and on. I wouldn't expect perfection for that money, but a whole lot better than what he got. Also, they originally quoted him a solid 10K. He told them he just wanted a decent "driver" job. It came in almost 5K over budget and looks like hell. I could have done a better job. Drunk.

Neighbor paid 3500 at Maaco for his mustang… it’s not perfect, needed to have a finish wet sanding but overall for the cost it looks fantastic.

I want better than my neighbors paint job though.

5E023993-2E8E-4CF3-9330-9956E5CED130.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember when those paint jobs were advertised for " $39.95" on the radio by the same guy that advertised Cecil County Drag-O-Way... "SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY!!!!!!!"

Wie always points out my flaws in my body/paint work,so I tell her when I have I have a: paint both, $3000 compressor 500 guns, $1200 per gal. topcoat, someone that is NOT 75 years old to block, mask, sand, etc.....Yo get the picture!!!!!!

I have owned a lot of old Mopars most ome and go, I have actually owned some that were "done" for 7-8 years they never say the highest $ topcoat and saw only the lesser brand like PPG Shop line, TCP Global etc held up great, but I drive them and don't stress.

Anyone can learn to do great bodywork with some knowledge and equipemnt, but the amount of labor is what separates the doers from the wanna be's.

Apparently the price of paint has gone through the roof under the current economy. I was quoted $9000 to paint my 76 Arrow drag car red/white/blue in the style of the old AMX factory super stockers. That's just for the color being laid down, no graphics or anything! Got it wrapped with lettering and graphics for $6000 less, and it looks phenomenal!

Here's a thought...

People go ape **** restoring cars to factory spec. Spend tens of thousands on getting the "correct" nuts, bolts and lunchbox parts to get their HEMI whutsit to its original glory... Good stuff right? They then tell you the paint job was 20k.. Wait, whut? The factory paint job wasn't 20k... they did not "restore" their car.... the customized it... cracks me up honestly. Especially how many people are into the patina of old paint now. like TMM said, I'd rather have a paint job I could drive around with and not worry about the grasshopper I hit going 80.

This cost me 6K a few years ago, PPG paint.
I did all the metal work, and had it about 90% finished.
A friend of mine did the final block sanding and fine tuned the panel alignment, and shot it.
He did it for what he quoted, and faster than the time frame he said. It took him about 30 days.

100_2236.JPG

Apparently the price of paint has gone through the roof under the current economy. I was quoted $9000 to paint my 76 Arrow drag car red/white/blue in the style of the old AMX factory super stockers. That's just for the color being laid down, no graphics or anything! Got it wrapped with lettering and graphics for $6000 less, and it looks phenomenal!
Just drop by a DuPont or PPG or whatever your favorite brand of auto paint and simply ask for quote for topcoat and (clear??), epoxy primer etc/ and say you are pricing to see what it takes to do your car. THere was a lot of LABOR and profit in that price!!!! wow Doing three colors requires more labor, but.......

I hear ya! Tim the toolman, I mean Mike the toolman! I just painted my 64 Comet its original color that is Merc's version of that tan!! I call it "understated" pretty!! Those mags really set it off!
I don't have the money to have it painted start to finish at someone else's shop and I don't have a shop or garage space to take it all apart and haul the carcass off to have it done. Heck, I don't have the drive to do a 2 year project like that. My 66 will stay like it is. The next guy can paint it if he chooses. That's one of the reasons why I bought my Swinger. I have one I can polish and one that I can't. (don't) :lol: :lol:

-
Back