Cost to get 500hp?

-

69dart440

Reaction score
I have a 69 Dart with a 72 440. Can anyone tell me roughly what it would cost to have it built to a solid 500hp. Im looking to run high 11 sec. Thanks for any help!

About 450 bucks for a 200 hp nitrous setup,LOL IN all seriousness the last 440 I built with forged pistons, all new valvetrain, ported heads, intake and carb, dizzy, etc. including the machine work was 5 grand before I knew it. The machine work on the heads block and crank was 1700 alone. Im sure you can get by cheaper but this motor had all premium parts in it.

If you do the assembling yourself and choose parts smartly, probably about 10 bucks per horsepower..

With the right pistons, you can use the stock rods and crank, go with the Edelbrock RPM heads, intake and cam plus machine work, for a total of around $5000. With this set-up My motor made 500 HP on the dyno.

With the right pistons, you can use the stock rods and crank, go with the Edelbrock RPM heads, intake and cam plus machine work, for a total of around $5000. With this set-up My motor made 500 HP on the dyno.
Did you assemble it yourself? I would probably have a professional assemble it since I dont have much experience.

Did you assemble it yourself? I would probably have a professional assemble it since I dont have much experience.

You will still be around that price, depends on how much machine work you want done. I had the botton end of this motor done, because I had the crank balanced and turned, motor decked and line bored. I see your from Pa. Had Rhodes Performance in Somerset, Pa. do the short block.

my boss built a 68 dart with a 440, 452 heads (bowl blending and mild port work), solid flat 509 or 590 purple shaft, stock bottom end (dont know about pistons) 727 with an 8.75

pump gas and street driven went 11.30's...

You will still be around that price, depends on how much machine work you want done. I had the botton end of this motor done, because I had the crank balanced and turned, motor decked and line bored. I see your from Pa. Had Rhodes Performance in Somerset, Pa. do the short block.
Im about 20 minutes east of harrisburg. So Im probably looking at 5000 to maybe 6000 to have a motor totally done. I was looking at crate motors from Indy but they are much more. It sounds like using my motor is the way to go.

Eddy heads are not mandatory at all. I have flat tops,452s,stock bottom end,stock rockers/shafts and a 284XE Comp hyd. cam and have ran a best of 11.96 at 112.

Eddy heads are not mandatory at all. I have flat tops,452s,stock bottom end,stock rockers/shafts and a 284XE Comp hyd. cam and have ran a best of 11.96 at 112.
Really? Thats the E.T. Im looking for. My best so far is 13.3 at 104. The motor was in the car when I bought it so I dont know what pistons are in it. So I would like to get in the high 11's. Maybe I dont have to go as radical as I thought.

Dude....it's a big block in a Dart. It will go 11s on seven cylinders.

I have a 69 Dart with a 72 440. Can anyone tell me roughly what it would cost to have it built to a solid 500hp. Im looking to run high 11 sec. Thanks for any help!

Car Craft November 2006.............. I think I'm going to do this! enjoy

IMG.jpg

i have a 440 for sale that may just what your looking for. made 501 hp and 520ft on pump gas. dynoed by eric shelton in atlanta. u can drive anywhere and get down at the track. 906 ported steel heads. stock forged crank, h beams rods w/ arp 2000 bolts, hyper pistons. solid lift cam, pro comp offset roller rockers, smith bros. push rods, head and main studs (12pt) milidon oil pan and windage tray, eldebrock rpm intake, 800 hp holley. check out videos in my duster dart sport

i have a 440 for sale that may just what your looking for. made 501 hp and 520ft on pump gas. dynoed by eric shelton in atlanta. u can drive anywhere and get down at the track. 906 ported steel heads. stock forged crank, h beams rods w/ arp 2000 bolts, hyper pistons. solid lift cam, pro comp offset roller rockers, smith bros. push rods, head and main studs (12pt) milidon oil pan and windage tray, eldebrock rpm intake, 800 hp holley. check out videos in my duster dart sport

why may i ask does it have offset roller rockers on 906 heads?

why may i ask does it have offset roller rockers on 906 heads?

My only guess would be cause the heads are ported into the pushrod holes and they had to move the pushrods over? You got me.

i got the offset rockers just so when i ungraded heads i would have to buy new rockers. and i got a great deal.

Find the book "Old Reliable" by Don Dulmage, I did one of these engines for just less than $3000 (not including carb and converter) and pushed my 74 3100 lb dart sport 10.72 124mph.on its first outing, Its an Iron headed (452 casting) flat top(L2355F TRW Speed Pro) no frills motor, I am a true fan of this build

Find the book "Old Reliable" by Don Dulmage, I did one of these engines for just less than $3000 (not including carb and converter) and pushed my 74 3100 lb dart sport 10.72 124mph.on its first outing, Its an Iron headed (452 casting) flat top(L2355F TRW Speed Pro) no frills motor, I am a true fan of this build

That sounds like a dang good one, too.

Where do you get this book? I just googled it and all I found was its out of production and gone.

-
Back