Could someone measure an unsilenced air cleaner for me?

-

1966DDart

Reaction score
Anyone have dimensions for the 1968-69 340, 383 and 440 unsilenced air cleaner? Mainly just looking for the overall diameter of the top cover (including the curled lower lip) and how tall the sides are (bottom of curled lower lip to top part that holds/pushes on the filter). I realize the center of the top cover raises even higher but, I don't care about that.

Thanks in advance!

What are you building Phil?

Got plates for the new D/Dart today. Plan on taking it to a small cruise in on Thursday.

Just trying to figure out how I might go about making a replica/replacement air cleaner for my D/Dart. For some odd reason, I can't seem to find one for sale. LOL!!! I'm slowly getting closer to figuring out what all will be needed to make one. Never said it will be easy, or cheap, but eventually I'll get it. Looks like the 340 one is a bit short on the sides though. I know the centers are different but, I had a fix already planned for that. ;-)

In the meantime, I'm also inching closer to FINALLY firing up my 11.4:1 318 in a few weeks...provided work leaves me alone for a bit. Tonight I've been fighting fuel lines and wiring on the test stand. Once it fires, I'll try to post a link to a video of it. In the meantime...enjoy the cruising!

Just trying to figure out how I might go about making a replica/replacement air cleaner for my D/Dart. For some odd reason, I can't seem to find one for sale. LOL!!! I'm slowly getting closer to figuring out what all will be needed to make one. Never said it will be easy, or cheap, but eventually I'll get it. Looks like the 340 one is a bit short on the sides though. I know the centers are different but, I had a fix already planned for that. ;-)

In the meantime, I'm also inching closer to FINALLY firing up my 11.4:1 318 in a few weeks...provided work leaves me alone for a bit. Tonight I've been fighting fuel lines and wiring on the test stand. Once it fires, I'll try to post a link to a video of it. In the meantime...enjoy the cruising!
If I needed one, I'd use a P4529002, strip the chrome off of it and paint it black. No one would know the difference. You could then modify the wing nut area to be more like the D/Dart air cleaner. To bad the original parts were made out of unobtainium.

Didn't the guy that restored my old one have a fiberglass max wedge air cleaner on it? It was a little short though. The top looked pretty close.

Did I give you a drawing of the air cleaner?

This is what the D/Dart air cleaner that 1966DDART is trying to reproduce. It's bigger than the chrome HIPO 273 air cleaner. Has a different wing nut area than the 340 - 383 unsilenced air cleaners. Have no idea what it originally was off of.
DSC03368-1.jpg

Close but no cigar. The max wedge one is not very tall. It also has a different wing nut area and that area doesn't sick up above the top of the air cleaner like the D/Dart one does.
They must have made one special for the D.

Mike,

You are correct, they were a special part on the D/Dart...and harder than hen's teeth to find. I was considering getting one of the reproduction 340 unsilenced air cleaners without the air tube and machine out the center. The 68 (single and dual) snorkel air cleaners appear to have the same center as the D/Dart air cleaner. My plan was to take the center out of one of them and tig it back into the center of the unsilenced one. This would still be close but, comes up an inch or so too short in height. Granted I could buy 2 unsilenced air cleaners and stack the sides...but, that starts to get a LOT harder to keep lined up for welding. Replacing just a center would be MUCH easier to do and easier to hide/clean up the weld.

air cleaner possible 1.jpg

The max wedge air cleaners are out because they have a small flat area down in the center ring...where the wing nut goes. Also, the center ring on those are more "flush" with the top surface. Unlike the D/Dart and the 68 snorkel air cleaners which has the center ring slightly raised.

-
Back