couldnt get 360 to bolt to 727 today need help

-

fitchett

Reaction score
i got a rebuilt 727 today with 360 coverter i bolted the converter to flex plate and think i had it lined up right with tranny but it wouldnt go tight to tranny.

It sounds like the converter did not go all the way into the tranny. I always stand the trans on the tailshaft and then put the converter in and spin it until it drops into the trans and bellhousing, then bolt it to the engine. Be careful not to let the converter come back while hooking it up to the engine.

put the converter on the trans before trying to bolt trans on to engine....

it is almost impossible to get converter to seat the way you are doing it...

in fact....stand the trans on it end...and install converter...let gravity help you ...

Yes, sounds like converter wasn't installed all the way into transmission....Like KrazyKuda said, you have to spin it until it drops in all the way....The way I always do it is to put the converter in the tranny first and make sure it is fully engaged...If I remember correctly it should be about 1/2 inch in from edge of the bell housing when it is in all the way......Then, bolt the flexplate to the back of the crank.....then bolt the transmission to the engine....The trans will pull tight against the motor if converter is fully engaged....Then through the bottom inspection area , bolt the flex plate to the converter LAST! And if you did everything correct you should actually have about 1/8 inch gap to pull the converter toward the flex plate when the 4 bolts tighten

Any time i ever did this i put the convertor in the transmission first , then turn it and bolt the flex plate to the convertor.

trying to bolt the converter to the flexplate and slide the trans onto the converter and bolt it down is not a good idea and a good way to damage the front pump IMO. i saw that once on car warriors and i couldnt believe what i was seeing LOL i had to change the channel. i would never attempt to do it that way. i want the converter fully seated in the trans before i would ever start a bolt.

another clue..set the flexplate on the converter and align the bolt holes as one is offsetted.....spray paint the one of the lugs and flexplate once they are line up....other wise it could take you 4 tries at getting the converter and flexplate bolted together...

also..dont bolt the converter flexplate together until the trans / engine are bolted together

another clue..set the flexplate on the converter and align the bolt holes as one is offsetted.....spray paint the one of the lugs and flexplate once they are line up....other wise it could take you 4 tries at getting the converter and flexplate bolted together...

also..dont bolt the converter flexplate together until the trans / engine are bolted together

They should be already marked

wwitqw.jpg

I guess I have not installed a stock OEM converter and flexplate in years...so I line mind up and paint them ahead of time..

i have always done the same, just a quick shot of spray paint on one ear of the flexplate and converter.....

never seen that. Always been able to stab the converter with the trans level.I always fill the converter half full so standing it on end would be messy. Not supposed to start them up dry.

............Or in the earlier years that little hole was opposite the drain plug or weights..........kim.......

X2...yes, if you have an externally balanced motor with a weighted torque converter this small hole in flex plate must be opposite the weights on the converter or you will have a terrible vibration.....

I'm sure you have to have it "drop" 3 times.
1. the input shaft splines
2. the reaction shaft or pump hub splines
3. the keys on the pump gear to the slots on the converter

Otherwise you risk shearing the keys on the gear in your pump. Done it once before.

I ended up just lineing up torque conv to tranny and had to give it a little tap with block of wood and hammer then it dropped it i didnt know u had to line up hole and weight though it seemed to line up fine with flex plate should it b ok then

yes..3 bolts will line up just fine....until you come to the offsetted one....

are you sure the converter is seated in the pump...move the converter back n forth and you should here a clak clak noise...that is the converter hub engaged in the pump...

if the converter is not seated....you will be pulling the motor and trans again..

You may want to have a look at your pump seal for damage. It would suck to have to pull the trans again to fix a leaking seal.

-
Back