Couple shifting problems..

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
My 1st issue...

Constantly having to adjust my clutch pedal. What's causing it to keep going low..?? It prevents me from getting into 1st and causes a grind in second.. I hold clutch as far as I can and car will keep rolling or stumble like it's going to stall ...

2nd issue
Grind in reverse .. Motor idles about 1000-1100 rpm and always grinds in reverse.

Any help is appreciated.. I love my 4speed but it's given me more headaches than you can imagine can't even enjoy driving car without an issue .. Thanks guys

#1 Thrust bearing could be going away.

#2 Most likely, improper adjustment caused by #1.

Grab your harmonic balancer and push it hard to the back then pull it hard forward. See how much movement you have.

Thrust bearing is less than 1/8 of an inch and should not cause that much play.
And when it is not there the crank moves forward on acceleration and back at idle.
I am thinking the throwout bearing or the pressure plate is toast.

Is there any vibration when you step on the clutch ?
I would remove the inspection cover and have someone step on the clutch and make sure the clutch plate itself is loose.

maybe you need some locktite on the adjuster rod ?

If the thrust bearing is worn so much that the crank walks back and forth you're going to have bigger problems than clutch adjustment issues. The thrust bearing endplay is mere thousands of an inch, you should not be able to move the crank back and forth by hand.

As mentioned above the throwout bearing could be going bad, or something in the clutch linkage could be slowly bending and about to break off, such as the arms on the Z-bar. I once saw a Z-bar where the tube was cracking and bending right where the arms were welded on and the car had a problem just like the one described by the OP.

Thrust bearing is less than 1/8 of an inch and should not cause that much play.
And when it is not there the crank moves forward on acceleration and back at idle.
I am thinking the throwout bearing or the pressure plate is toast.

Is there any vibration when you step on the clutch ?
I would remove the inspection cover and have someone step on the clutch and make sure the clutch plate itself is loose.

maybe you need some locktite on the adjuster rod ?

There is no vibration or noises when I hit the clutch.. T/O bearing and clutch have 1700 miles on a new stroker build ... I'm not sure if the nut is backing off or what but I'm going to adjust it and mark it to see if it moves again. I will inspect my linkage as well to see what's going on .... Unfortunately i have a scatter shield on the car so I will probly have to inspect through clutch for hole if possible but with brand new build thrust bearing should not be going at 1700 miles this is a 410 stroker by the way thanks guys

So I tried to move crank back and forth it wouldn't move ... Guess that's a good thing ... Adjusted fork and it's back to good .. Feel like in a couple days it will move back I'm going to mark it to see if nut is backing off ...

Rev the motor and watch the harmonic if it move in and out and makes an awfull noise the thrust bearing is not there, dont ask me how I know. :) but I doubt that is the issue.

Use a second nut on the adjuster, as a jam nut..

I have also seen the z-bar crack and affect adjustment

Try pulling it into second gear, before going into reverse..

hope it helps

Thanks guys ill double check the z bar as of now it's ok Great idea on the jamb nut will use that

-
Back