Coupler shoe pin removal

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
Has anyone ever removed the pin that holds the coupler shoes in place on the bottom of the steering shaft ?

I'm am installing a Borgeson coupler and need to remove it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 294
Yeah. It just presses out.

read that "you need a press to take it out" I tried with a sledge, just mushroomed it. Ended up just cutting that end off and grafting a longer end on to get my manual box to line up. Crude but effective.

Here is another way without a press. Cut one end flush with the steering shaft hole it is pressed in. Then put it on a vise so the other end that sticks out fits between the jaws but the steering shaft rests on the vise jaws with the end you cut off facing up. Then take a good punch and hammer and drive the pin out. Don't forget the safety glasses.

My troubles aren't getting the old worn pin out. Getting the new pin centered just right with a BFH, that's my trouble.

And now for something completely different. Pack the end of the shaft and pin in dry ice. It will get very cold and shrink so as to ease removal. I suggested this method to a tech that could not get a front drive hub bearing removed with a press and he got it out after using the dry ice to shrink it, then using the press.

I drove mine out with 2 2lb sledge hammers. Set the face of one hammer on the face of the pin / socket on the bottom side to allow the pin to push out, all propped up on some blocks of wood. Strike the back of the sledge resting on the pin with the hammer you feel the best swinging! It takes some force but I was able to remove and reinstall mine without mushrooming it out. Dont be afraid to hit it like a man, just use the double sledge trick to keep it from ruining the pin.

I remember trying to drive the pin out one way, and it wouldn't move. Flipped it over, and it came out without a lot of effort. I did have the shaft supported when I did it.

-
Back