Cowl debris

-

howco4

Reaction score
I've been disassembling my 70 Dart Swinger. I removed the heater, and shoved my hand up and over the heater plenum. What a bunch of junk I found, ( tree needles, leave reminants, and general yuk.) I plan on removing as much as I can manually, and then snaking a vacumn hose up in there to get as much as I can. May use the compressor as well. I don't know what I will do with the drivers side yet. Just thought I would pass this along to anyone whos doing their car, and has not checked this area. There is no place for this stuff to go, except into the lower cowl drains. I know this has been discussed in earlier forms, but it's a good thing to be aware of.

Howard

Every time I opened the ''trap door" vents in my 66 Dart I got a carpet full of yard waste. It must be all gone now cause I can cruise for an hour on the highway and not even dirty my carpet. toolmanmike

The plenum has a lip on it, (about 1 inch), you probably still have some stuff up there.

Good to know. If I get blasted again I won't be suprised. toolman

howco4 said:
I've been disassembling my 70 Dart Swinger. I removed the heater, and shoved my hand up and over the heater plenum. What a bunch of junk I found, ( tree needles, leave reminants, and general yuk.) I plan on removing as much as I can manually, and then snaking a vacumn hose up in there to get as much as I can. May use the compressor as well. I don't know what I will do with the drivers side yet. Just thought I would pass this along to anyone whos doing their car, and has not checked this area. There is no place for this stuff to go, except into the lower cowl drains. I know this has been discussed in earlier forms, but it's a good thing to be aware of.

Howard

I'd never shove my hand up there, you don't know what's living in there. Seriously though, THIS GOES FOR EVERYBODY OUT THERE, when ever you're vacuuming out those confined spaces always wear a fine dust mask cause if there's any mice leftovers the droppings have been known to carry some real nasty viruses.

I`ve got a piece of hose in a "J" shape that I attach to my vacuum to periodically clean that area. I was driving the car just today though when a leaf cut loose at 60mph and hit my leg then circled once inside the car before coming to a rest in the backseat.

I just cleaned out mine a few weeks ago and found pine needles, leaves, shredded carpet and 2 dead mice. that would explain the smell:)

Funniest thing I ever saw was when I got my first 71 Dart, had a buddie ride up to pick it up from, under a tree on a farm about 40 miles from my home. We were driving down this road at about 55 mph, hot day like 85 degrees or so and he had all the windows open, he was in fronta me, I seen him lean down to the right, BOOM! it was like the intirior exploded, crap swirling around everywhere inside that thing and blowing out the windows, he disappeared in a cloud of debris for a good 3 seconds. I was laughing so hard I damn near crashed my car I was driving.

If you open both vents, I strongly recomend wearing goggles!, and drive down the highway at about 100 miles an hour, it will blow the vents clear after 2 or 3 times of doing it, I gaurentee it.

well for my cuda it was pretty bad seeing it sat under a tree for quite some time too, we used the air hose and blew all the crap out, and just picked it up from off the floors after, man it was a pain. I went threw the same inccodent as kraby's friend did, with my wagon, oops, i didnt get that blasted but man i was mad had just cleaned the whole car, o well its not that hard to get me to wanna clean it anyways :toothy7: :lol:

I've owned my Dart Sport for A year & half, still have not open the freash air vents! I'm still washing out sand from the frame sections from North Carolina.

did cars come with these vents delete?

im considering removing these stupid things.. well atleast the driver side one since mine leaks and blow open on me once and i was covered in debris. and doesnt really seal well now. and i always have a cool breeze in the car..

and im sure im not the only one who has an early a body that takes about an hour to warm the in side on high. i figure with this or these gone i could mock up a larger heater core and new box that would be BETTER, and delete these fresh air vents that are useless and in the way.

Anyone done this?

Cerwin

A couple shots of the drain holes in my Dart. You can get a glimpse of the curd that has built up. I took a stiff wire, with a small hook bent at the end, and worked it into the holes and pulled out quite a bit. I then used my pressure washer and blasted into the holes alternating between vent inlet, (by the windshield), and the drain holes, until the water ran clean. The heater is out and the carpet is out, so I had a lot to clean up inside as well.

I've attached a couple of Pics Howard

Cowl & Hood.jpg

Cowl drain holes.jpg

took my fresh air vent out on the driver side the other day as i had a leak problem. i think for the most of you to remove the vent would be too easy compaired to making and finding J bent hoses and things of the sort. there are to rim hooks in the vent that hold it up and to most of you who wil take on this adventure the rest might be there or you might be able to catch it before it gets bad. Because like myself you wont believe what you will find in there.

I found the letter T From on front of my hood. its been missing since i bought the car. it was amoungst all the things in the cowl

Cerwin

Cerwin said:
took my fresh air vent out on the driver side the other day as i had a leak problem. i think for the most of you to remove the vent would be too easy compaired to making and finding J bent hoses and things of the sort. there are to rim hooks in the vent that hold it up and to most of you who wil take on this adventure the rest might be there or you might be able to catch it before it gets bad. Because like myself you wont believe what you will find in there.

I found the letter T From on front of my hood. its been missing since i bought the car. it was amoungst all the things in the cowl

Cerwin
:happy4: wow you found the t hahahah wonder how it got in there

Just cram a garden hose up there and crank on the water.That will clean out the junk.

dodgeboy413 said:
Just cram a garden hose up there and crank on the water.That will clean out the junk.

Adn most likely put it on the floor in the front of your car.

-
Back