Cowl hood

-

azdurango

Reaction score
Does anybody make a cowl inducted hood or any aftermarket hood with a scoop on it for a 64 valiant?

Since the cowl induction hood is a Chevy thing...try a Chevy site.

Since the cowl induction hood is a Chevy thing...try a Chevy site.

Why would somebody on a chevy site have a cowl inducted hood for a mopar? There are plenty of aftermarket cowl inducted hoods made for other cars besides chevy.

Why would somebody on a chevy site have a cowl inducted hood for a mopar? There are plenty of aftermarket cowl inducted hoods made for other cars besides chevy.

I believe what he was saying is Cowl induction hoods are not considered Mopar and that if you put one on a Mopar you're making it look like a Chevy in which that's not good by no means.

Why put a chevy style scoop on a MOPAR?

Because for some of us the Mopar style scoops would like crap on our cars. I've seen Mopar scoops on my M-body. They look as cheesy as the Lund stick on ones. But I still want the fresh air set up. So in his defense, if he likes the idea of a cowl induction (hmmmm, isn't that what NASCAR has run for decades, even on Mopars...the air cleaner attached to the cowl, tells me it works, at least) who are we to badmouth it?

Because for some of us the Mopar style scoops would like crap on our cars. I've seen Mopar scoops on my M-body. They look as cheesy as the Lund stick on ones. But I still want the fresh air set up. So in his defense, if he likes the idea of a cowl induction (hmmmm, isn't that what NASCAR has run for decades, even on Mopars...the air cleaner attached to the cowl, tells me it works, at least) who are we to badmouth it?

IF HE IS LOOKING A GOOD LOOKING SCOOP, YOU CAN'T BEAT THE 1972-73 DEMON DUSTER SCOOP. THE COWL IS NOT A REAL GOOD SCOOP. CHRYSLER TESTED ALL TYPES OF SCOOPS THRU THE LATE 60'S TO THE EARLY SEVENTY'S. THE COWL WAS ONE OF THEM, IT DID NOT PERFORM WELL. ALSO, NASCAR SEALS THE AIR CLEANER TO THE COWL OF THE CAR & PICKS IT AIR UP AT THE BASE OF THE WINDSHIELD. ITS A GREAT SCOOP IF ALL YOUR NEEDING IS SPACE, BUT AS FUNCTION GOES, ITS A TURD. THATS WHY THEY CAME ON CHEVYS. BUT HEY, I'M A MOPAR OR NOCAR GUY.

cowl hoods work just fine. I agree that a cowl hood on a mopar is silly. but they do work. I just hate it when guys put a big cowl hood on their car but dont have any big induction system under the hood to back it up.

I have one on my 69 Dart. Had to make it by welding on a metal scoop since they are not produced by anyone I could find. I don't like the big MOPAR scoops. Years ago I had one come off and rip a chunk out of the hood when I passed a semi on the interstate at around 100MPH.

Larry

IM000382.jpg

IM000383.jpg

I have one on my 69 Dart. Had to make it by welding on a metal scoop since they are not produced by anyone I could find. I don't like the big MOPAR scoops. Years ago I had one come off and rip a chunk out of the hood when I passed a semi on the interstate at around 100MPH.

Larry
Have to admit that looks pretty good.

I think the easiest and possibly best solution would be to sell your Valiant and buy a Nova.:angry7:

well......I'm glad I didn't start it, but I will add to it. I hate a cowl hood on a Mopar!! Nothing more Chevy than a cowl. Might as well put a bow-tie where the pentastar was!!

cowl hoods work just fine. I agree that a cowl hood on a mopar is silly. but they do work. I just hate it when guys put a big cowl hood on their car but dont have any big induction system under the hood to back it up.

I GUESS SOMEONE NEEDS TO TELL THEM PRO STOCK GUYS ABOUT THEM. I WONDER HOW MUCH QUICKER THEY COULD RUN?

I think the point of it is it's his car, not yours. You don't like it, fine, then don't do it and don't own it. Why aren't your putting in these same two cents of "only Mopar" when folks chime in about putting Explorer disks on their cars or talking about Ford 8.8 swaps in place of 7.25's? Or using 700Rs for an OD instead of cutting up their floorboards and moving the torsion bar mounts?
Considering Ford and Pontiac used Shaker hood scopes, too, is that an acceptable scoop in your opinion?
Or when talking about some aftermarket pieces? Edelbrock, Holley, Comp, etc, hardly fit in the "Mopar only" scheme.
If that's you're idea then take your car back to stock trim, using only NOS Mopar parts...

I actually have one of these on my 64 Signet, sorry hood isn't on. Its a reproduction and looks and works awesome
Signet013.jpg

I think the point of it is it's his car, not yours. You don't like it, fine, then don't do it and don't own it. Why aren't your putting in these same two cents of "only Mopar" when folks chime in about putting Explorer disks on their cars or talking about Ford 8.8 swaps in place of 7.25's? Or using 700Rs for an OD instead of cutting up their floorboards and moving the torsion bar mounts?
Considering Ford and Pontiac used Shaker hood scopes, too, is that an acceptable scoop in your opinion?
Or when talking about some aftermarket pieces? Edelbrock, Holley, Comp, etc, hardly fit in the "Mopar only" scheme.
If that's you're idea then take your car back to stock trim, using only NOS Mopar parts...

LIKE I SAID, I'M A MOPAR ON NO-CAR GUY. IF ITS A FOWARD FACING, SEALED TO THE CARB, YEA ITS A GOOD SCOOP. I STILL WOULDN'T PUT IT ON MY MOPAR. I DON'T USE BRAND X PARTS ON MY MOPARS. ITS KINDA LIKE SEEING A GREAT MOPAR DRAG CAR BEING TOWED BY A BRAND X TRUCK. THERES NO CALL FOR IT, WHEN DODGE MAKES ONE OF THE BEST TRUCKS ON THE ROAD. YEA, I PUT MY 2 CENTS IN. IF I'M LOOKING FOR A COOL MOPAR TO BUY, THE FIRST THING THAT IS GOING STICK OUT TO ME IS BRAND X PARTS ON IT. JUST TRYING TO LET THIS GUY KNOW HOW IT COULD AFFECT THE VALUE & LOOK OF HIS VEHICLE. ITS KINDA LIKE HAVING A CHEVY AVATAR ON A MOPAR WEB-SITE. IT STRIKES ME AS ODD. I ENJOY THE LOOKING AT THE BRAND X STUFF, JUST NOT SHARING THEIR PARTS. I WOULD HAVE THE SAME OPINION IF YOU PUT A 6-PACK SCOOP ON YOUR 57 CHEV.

Larry

That looks good. :thumbup: It's not obnoxiously tall that would "stand out like a pimple on a sow's ***" as a cop once told me.

And if you put a "cougar" in front of it.......

SouthKOS.jpg

Some one on a Chevy site will have a cowl induction scoop. I have never seen a replacement hood for a '64 plymouth A-body, let alone a scooped hood...so you will likely have to buy the scoop and bond it to your hood. Go to a Chevy site...find a cowl induction hood scoop buy the thing and build it.

Does anybody make a cowl inducted hood or any aftermarket hood with a scoop on it for a 64 valiant?

Do not buy from Unlimited or UP 21 same company, I did It is the worst fiberglass product ever. They would stand behind a sick cow before they would stand behind there products.. JUNK.

Go to this link.

http://www.usbody.com/ShopOn-Line/

then click on STEEL HOOD SALE at the top then go all the way to the bottom and click on HOOD SCOOPS and ACCESSORIES. You hve a choice of a 5 inch or 2-1/4 inch high scoop. The 5 inch is way too high. The 2-1/4 inch is what I have on mine. Its way too long and will have to have the back end trimmed to fit.

they also sell MOPAR stuff. Scroll down the left side and look.....

Larry

LIKE I SAID, I'M A MOPAR ON NO-CAR GUY. IF ITS A FOWARD FACING, SEALED TO THE CARB, YEA ITS A GOOD SCOOP. I STILL WOULDN'T PUT IT ON MY MOPAR. I DON'T USE BRAND X PARTS ON MY MOPARS. ITS KINDA LIKE SEEING A GREAT MOPAR DRAG CAR BEING TOWED BY A BRAND X TRUCK. THERES NO CALL FOR IT, WHEN DODGE MAKES ONE OF THE BEST TRUCKS ON THE ROAD. YEA, I PUT MY 2 CENTS IN. IF I'M LOOKING FOR A COOL MOPAR TO BUY, THE FIRST THING THAT IS GOING STICK OUT TO ME IS BRAND X PARTS ON IT. JUST TRYING TO LET THIS GUY KNOW HOW IT COULD AFFECT THE VALUE & LOOK OF HIS VEHICLE. ITS KINDA LIKE HAVING A CHEVY AVATAR ON A MOPAR WEB-SITE. IT STRIKES ME AS ODD. I ENJOY THE LOOKING AT THE BRAND X STUFF, JUST NOT SHARING THEIR PARTS. I WOULD HAVE THE SAME OPINION IF YOU PUT A 6-PACK SCOOP ON YOUR 57 CHEV.

First of all, guess you didn't get what I was saying. No mention of returning all the aftermarket i.e.: non Mopar-sourced, back on the shelf to go with just the Mopar NOS parts on your car? Afterall, those aftermarket parts weren't originally sourced by Mopar, so therefore they have no room in car... to go the red-letter of "Mopar or No Car" and then stick with that theme that's what you have to do. Only Mopar sourced parts, no aftermarket. You're making the argument here, just pointing out that if you're going to advocate so hard in that direction then there can be no shades of grey and you need to be the first to practice what you preach. Brakes? Forget AZ, Napa, etc. Spend the time to hunt down those NOS drums, rotors, calipers, whatever. Plugs? Champs were sourced from Chrysler. Don't run anything else. No thoughts on other manufacturers using a Shaker set up? Better use nothing but Carter carbs, unless you have a six pack set up.
The gentleman in question was asking about where to find hoods with cowl induction or not, not get some loudmouthed holy than thou "you're an a**hole if you think you're going to run a brand x scoop on a Mopar" opinion. Since you think cowl induction is unnecessary and he asking about scooped hoods in general have you actually replied to where he might find an alternative instead of badmouthing him? And since you feel the need to badmouth him, then why aren't you opining in other threads with the same BS when the topic comes up?
After you re-read his first post (slowly this time) give him an option with a source to find it since that's what he was asking for! You told him what to run, you didn't tell him how to modify his hood to make it work, you didn't tell him where to buy one. Others have without badmouthing him... While you're at it, give him an apology, too. Way to welcome a new member into the group. I'm sure in the welcome wagon he got the impression we were a good group of folks on here... Since we're on that topic, go the welcome wagon and check out his build, think about it and then you'll really know why you owe him an apology...
As for my avatar, do a search under my name and threads started. Find out the history behind it, the positive feedback from other Mopar fans, then look down and read my signature and see if I list it with my cars. You'll see two brand x: my F250 my grandfather bought brand new and my wife's Hyundai. As to the rest of what you think :thebirdm:

First of all, guess you didn't get what I was saying. No mention of returning all the aftermarket i.e.: non Mopar-sourced, back on the shelf to go with just the Mopar NOS parts on your car? Afterall, those aftermarket parts weren't originally sourced by Mopar, so therefore they have no room in car... to go the red-letter of "Mopar or No Car" and then stick with that theme that's what you have to do. Only Mopar sourced parts, no aftermarket. You're making the argument here, just pointing out that if you're going to advocate so hard in that direction then there can be no shades of grey and you need to be the first to practice what you preach. Brakes? Forget AZ, Napa, etc. Spend the time to hunt down those NOS drums, rotors, calipers, whatever. Plugs? Champs were sourced from Chrysler. Don't run anything else. No thoughts on other manufacturers using a Shaker set up? Better use nothing but Carter carbs, unless you have a six pack set up.
The gentleman in question was asking about where to find hoods with cowl induction or not, not get some loudmouthed holy than thou "you're an a**hole if you think you're going to run a brand x scoop on a Mopar" opinion. Since you think cowl induction is unnecessary and he asking about scooped hoods in general have you actually replied to where he might find an alternative instead of badmouthing him? And since you feel the need to badmouth him, then why aren't you opining in other threads with the same BS when the topic comes up?
After you re-read his first post (slowly this time) give him an option with a source to find it since that's what he was asking for! You told him what to run, you didn't tell him how to modify his hood to make it work, you didn't tell him where to buy one. Others have without badmouthing him... While you're at it, give him an apology, too. Way to welcome a new member into the group. I'm sure in the welcome wagon he got the impression we were a good group of folks on here...
As for my avatar, do a search under my name and threads started. Find out the history behind it, the positive feedback from other Mopar fans, then look down and read my signature and see if I list it with my cars. You'll see two brand x: my F250 my grandfather bought brand new and my wife's Hyundai. As to the rest of what you think :thebirdm:

Couldn't have said it any better.

-
Back