Craigslist find

-
I remember seeing slant's and old industrial Hemi's running irrigation pumps in Kansas and Eastern Colorado when I was a kid

I worked on a farm when I was a kid in the 80's, the combine had a slant in it. Who knows what internals may be different....

An interesting find for sure. I hope it is not sitting outside with nothing but a rag on the carb.
C

Massey Ferguson combines, maybe some other co. used the slant. bunches of them around here. think about this. the DUST associated with the grain combine???? now if it was used in the hay field, that's another thing..

also a grain combines runs SLOWwwwwwww. i'd have to say the cam is set for that sppped a nd power range, otherwise I personnally don't know.

The combines ground speed is slow due to gearing. The engine is operating in its power band - whatever rpm that is. With a governor on it, it probably ran at 2500 rpm for hours at a time. Dusty environments were mitigated by the air cleaner...
C

Being in Boise, I saw this too. I dont think there is any difference...I know a lot of old forklifts had slants in them as well.

Some had distributors with no vacuum advance.

Figured that I'd post it and see if there was anything special or real desirable about it. But so far, I'm not going to be the one to drop 200 bucks on it!

Slant's??? ,...and JD's,???

I will look into this,...I know some preety serious JD collectors,....stand by...

whats the belt run dealio up top (fuel pump?) may have locked out dizzy or at least advance seized due to non use. Comes with its own test stand!

My wife, (who grew up farming mid Oregon), says Slant Swather's were everywhere,...remembers her dad havin at least a couple...an he ONLY ran w/green and yellow,...

...The upside is they usually had a pretty constant rpm, depending on the weight of what was being "swathed"....

whats the belt run dealio up top (fuel pump?) may have locked out dizzy or at least advance seized due to non use. Comes with its own test stand!

Looks like the belt driven piece on the top may be the governor as the throttle linkage looks to be attached to it.

Back in the mis 70s I worked for the company that built them and they were all powered by industrial chrysler slant sixes until they went to a Russian built engine in the eighties.

That belt driven piece on top is probably a hydrolic pump. My guess. May have been for power steering or perhaps to operate lift cylinders for the header.
C

If it comes with the radiator and everything, that looks like the front end of a cool T-bucket or rat rod project.

-
Back