Craigslist no-shows....

-
Had a deal locked up on something and the guy was super nice and seemed on point. When I showed up with 5k for to get the item no answer. No response, returns, or whim of what happens next..... He set the price and I was willing to pay lol... Not car related, but people being people.....

JW

Not to change the subject but how do you break a three-quarter inch ratchet removing brakes?
Caliper bracket to lower ball joint bolt froze.
Didn't have enough room to put a breaker on it. Didn't think it was THAT stuck. One pipe later....

Not just CL, on here, FBBO, FCBO also. No courtesy/respect any more. Not everyone but just enough to piss you off and makes me want to say the hell with it just scrap everything and be done. Some correspond with you, ask questions, want pictures. After you've done what they asked, they don't have the decency to respond one way or the other. They just drop off the face of the earth.

I've had all the issues listed above. I made it better by first of all refusing to let anyone from CL come to the house for anything. If I can't transport it to a meet point, I won't sell it. Once a meet time is set, I tell them to call me when they get there, usually the local Safeway store. Then I ask them what's the name of the coffee shack in the parking lot, to make sure they are really there. After all this, I will drive to Safeway to sell the stuff. There are some stone-cold creeps on CL.

What is worse is people that don't "read" the ad. I posted a for sale of a 1969 Polara 4 door hardtop, 318 engine. Had several people make appointments to look at it.
"Oh just a 318, I wanted a big block".
"Oh, it's a 4 door, I want a 2 door"
Etc
waste everyones time

Similar situation several 20 yrs ago. Had a '79 New Yorker 5th Ave. for sale $1200. Girl and her dad showed up, looked the car all over, drove it and really liked it. Then he says, "we looked at a Granada down the road a piece, it's not as nice as this car but he only wants $500. What should we do?" Looked at them and told them to buy the Granada the 5th wasn't leaving for $500. Ended up I gave it to my dad to drive.

ive been pretty lucky on CL deals so for, all the flakes i have met were up front during the "trying to work out a deal" stage
never been stood up, mugged or raped while trying to make a deal, but i also never have people come over to my house to pick it up (i really dont sell a whole lot anyway)

when i go make a pick up, i never go alone, and ALL of us carry (glad to say i never needed the backup, but it seemed prudent to have it)

Not to change the subject but how do you break a three-quarter inch ratchet removing brakes?

righty loosy lefty tighty?

A yr ago I sold three '55/56 pkps. The trucks were 1000' or better away from the house near the barns. The first thing I told them, "I don't know you and you don't know me and I'm carrying." They laughed and said "So are we." I live 750 ft off main road. Closet neighbor to the west 900ft., south 12-1500 ft, north quarter mile, east-up over the ridge 1-2 mile. I'm always carrying, anymore you never know what crazies will show up.

I've had all the issues listed above. I made it better by first of all refusing to let anyone from CL come to the house for anything. If I can't transport it to a meet point, I won't sell it. Once a meet time is set, I tell them to call me when they get there, usually the local Safeway store. Then I ask them what's the name of the coffee shack in the parking lot, to make sure they are really there. After all this, I will drive to Safeway to sell the stuff. There are some stone-cold creeps on CL.
This is exactly what I do... A couple of times I didn't want to pick or a transmission and had them come to the house but it had to be a long conversation and I certainly don't tell him about anything I have.. I don't get into car conversations and talk about what I have just if they want to talk about their stuff that's fine...

Yep things aren't like they used to be. And people's word don't mean squat any more. Very unfortunate. I haven't sold anything on Craigslist in years, when I did I always met at a public place. Still refuse to use Facebook.

before Craigslist, before computer market places, back when you paid for a "add" in the classifieds in the news papers, people would STILL call up and say "be there at 10 am Saturday". And wouldn't show...…. Probably with the ease of responding on a computer increases the no-shows, but it's happened as long as I can remember, and I remember my Dad complaining about no-shows. LOL.
  • P.S. - I've been too busy buying, so i guess I've kind of forgot about no-shows.. :D

before Craigslist, before computer market places, back when you paid for a "add" in the classifieds in the news papers, people would STILL call up and say "be there at 10 am Saturday". And wouldn't show...…. Probably with the ease of responding on a computer increases the no-shows, but it's happened as long as I can remember, and I remember my Dad complaining about no-shows. LOL.
  • P.S. - I've been too busy buying, so i guess I've kind of forgot about no-shows.. :D
the very last thing I do is plan my day around someone coming to meet me from Craigslist LOL
If they say 10 tomorrow I show you better call me at 9: 30 and see if I'm still available... and I also tell them flat-out that I don't wait for people on Craigslist...

NO. Sorry. fakebook the search function SUCKS. You put say, "Mopar" into the search you get everything under the sun. I have yet to figure out what ZuckerPhuck does that made him so rich, because his software SUCKS. And I've been stood up, one was a woman who refused to give me her phone, we were supposed to meet at a 'box store." While CHRIST. I can't message from my truck I have to be HOME. And "the name" you see on fakerbook doesn't mean ****. I could be Dobie Gillis if I wanted to.

I've had no issues with their search features. There are "multiple" search "filter" options you can use. You can also search a certain radius of your location that you can "move" however you please. I did a marketplace search for mopar this morning and found "hundreds" of ads that were all "mopar" related. This can be a bit "different" when switching from a "mobile" device to a "desktop". They also "track" and can create a seller "history" based on previous "transactions" the seller or buyer has had with others. Also when buying or selling a "quick" click on the user profile and some common sense will tell you whether or not their profile is "legitimate" or not. The mobile app also let's you "contact" the other party remotely say in your "truck" or perhaps a "meeting" location. You could be Peter Pan for all I care if you have what I need.

I've had no issues with their search features. There are "multiple" search "filter" options you can use. You can also search a certain radius of your location that you can "move" however you please. I did a marketplace search for mopar this morning and found "hundreds" of ads that were all "mopar" related. This can be a bit "different" when switching from a "mobile" device to a "desktop". They also "track" and can create a seller "history" based on previous "transactions" the seller or buyer has had with others. Also when buying or selling a "quick" click on the user profile and some common sense will tell you whether or not their profile is "legitimate" or not. The mobile app also let's you "contact" the other party remotely say in your "truck" or perhaps a "meeting" location. You could be Peter Pan for all I care if you have what I need.
what kills me about marketplace (unless i'm doing something wrong) when you close an AD, or hit back, or even just X the popout, it takes you back out of marketplace, and to the homepage. does it on my phone, and PC. unless i'm that dumb lol

what kills me about marketplace (unless i'm doing something wrong) when you close an AD, or hit back, or even just X the popout, it takes you back out of marketplace, and to the homepage. does it on my phone, and PC. unless i'm that dumb lol
Do you have fat fingers? Haha

Looking at an enclosed trailer on Craigslist. Of course it didn't have the phone number so I had to go through all that crap with the numbers and and the secret handshake in order to correspond with the seller. Well this trailer was supposedly up above Chicago is a little bit older and I thought well the price is a little cheap but not bad so I contact him I get this message back hi this is so and so my husband died and so I'm selling this trailer I've already sold my house and moved in Nebraska with my sister and we can do the arrangements through eBay classified. And I thought damn just another scammer.

Maybe she can fix me up with some of that Nicaraguan generals hidden Millions. Maybe I'll contact her.

I built a nice 383 SBC for a guy and called him when it was done. He said he would pick it up Saturday. No show no call. I could not get ahold of him.
About six months later he called on a Friday and gave me a big sob story of all his troubles and why he hadn't picked it up. He asked if I would be home the next day and he would pick it up.You guessed it! No call, no show, wouldn't answer his phone.
Another year goes by and one day I get a caller who asks if I still have his motor. I asked who was calling and it was him. Another sob story and asked how much he owed. I added $200 to the bill and told him so, for all the hassle. He said he would be there on Saturday and I said "you better call if you can't make it". Well, this time he showed and paid.
I saw him in a parts store a couple of months later and he told me how happy he was with the motor. He said he was starting another project and wanted prices. All I said was 100 percent up front. Never saw him again.

Lately I have quite a few inquires for parts. I guess shipping killed half of the deals as I never heard back from them. All on this site. I tell them to lmk , but they don’t. Kim

Back in the '70's I was going to open a speed shop "High Performance Madness.'' My first two sales were to who a pair of local "hotrodders" whom I thought at the time were friends/acquaintances. for some (stupid) reason, I turned over a clutch set to one and something else to the other without having them pay me in full. Ending up having to take both to small claims court.

The guy that was going to partner with me in the speed shop flaked out, so I never rented a storefront. Had a very small "beginning inventory" (gaskets, 850 CFM Holley, generic headers and other basic stuff) in my garage for a long time after that collecting dust.

Lately I have quite a few inquires for parts. I guess shipping killed half of the deals as I never heard back from them. All on this site. I tell them to lmk , but they don’t. Kim

Same thing here. I'm up for offers or trades but nothing.

-
Back