Crank Drilled For Pilot Bushing?

-

67valiant 100

go fast or go home
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is this crank drilled for a pilot bushing for a 4 speed? Crank is a 65 C-barge 413. Thanks8)

Attachments

• PA041410.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 572
yes it is,,,becareful when buying a pilot bushing there are 2 different size wall thicknesses,,,

.......If it is the manual size it is 3/4 inside dia...........if not its 11/16.........the bushing is 3/4 outside dia..................kim,...................or u can get a bearing from ma mopar.........to fit the registar

The other problem with some crank holes is that they are NOT ONLY undersize diameter, but not deep enough. In other words, they simply were never finish machined.

Common to have to cut some of the end off your 4 speed

the stick shift dakotas and jeeps,,,not sure about the ram,,, now use a roller bearing some are a bushing, that goes in the torque converter register hole,.

that is the first step you see in the crank end,, that is where the large end(button) of the torgue converter goes when bolting the converter to the flex plate when useing an automatic...

you can get them at mopar, napa, and probably most auto parts stores,,,if the hole in the crank is not cut deep enough,you simply bolt it all together see how much of a gap you have between the tranny and the bell housing, and trim off that much on the very end of the manual trans imput shaft.

here is a pic of each bearing/ bushing for the torque converter hole in the crank

Attachments

• bushing.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 303
I have drilled the cranks before. Turns out that the cast iron is really easy to drill. I made a pilot that I pressed into the torque converter register with the inside hole drilled to the finished size I wanted the crank to be (in a lathe for accuracy). Then I just drilled it deep enough to accept the input shaft.

That crank is drilled and finish reamed for a 4sp. Most forged cranks are but later ones may not be reamed. Cast are sometimes drilled but not reamed, sometimes not driled at all. The difference in diameter is because of the reaming process. NAPA is the only place to sell the pilot bushing for the non-reamed cranks, and those ones are shallower and wil require nipping a little off the input shaft.

That crank is drilled and finish reamed for a 4sp.

I don't know how you can tell by looking? I've run across two engines, one a '67 440, I don't remember the other----both of these 'looked' to me like they were finished. BOTH were undersized and too short for the 4 speed.

"Back when" I just didn't like the sound of chopping the end off my 4 spd shaft, and paid a machine shop to finish the crank.

If you want to go with the stock type bushing and the crank isn't finished machined, you can also turn down the OD of the bushing to fit.

But if the late model bearing fits the Big Block "register" that is a way better deal.

-
Back