Crank end play, 340

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
Crank end play.

So I was changing the lower pulley on my 340 to the new one for AC and without a doubt my endplay is out of spec.

I would say (using my eyeball gauge) that it is at lease .10+.

The hard life of 8000rpm up shifts and a 4 speed I guess. The engine is coming out anyway for a freshening up and new cam.

crank end play should be around .002" - .007"

If you are really able to move it .100"...thats not good

Ok I think I jumped the gun here and was a little optimist with my estimation of the movement.

Looks like it is maybe a touch over 1/32 (tape measure). Best guess is in the .03-.04 range but I can grab the front of the crank and watch it move as it clunks back and forth.

Ok I think I jumped the gun here and was a little optimist with my estimation of the movement.

Looks like it is maybe a touch over 1/32 (tape measure). Best guess is in the .03-.04 range but I can grab the front of the crank and watch it move as it clunks back and forth.

That's in a fully INSTALLED running motor!! Rods, flywheel, full of oil... I thought you check that spec with just the loose crank, bearings, and torqued mains....? It's got to be more than what your are seeing and feeling now wouldn't you think?

That's in a fully INSTALLED running motor!! Rods, flywheel, full of oil... I thought you check that spec with just the loose crank, bearings, and torqued mains....? It's got to be more than what your are seeing and feeling now wouldn't you think?

That is with everything but the lifters and radiator hoses. Yup. The engine is in the car.

Check for excessive wear on the thrust bearing when you get pull the engine out and do the tear down. You shouldn't be hearing any clunk when you pull on the damper. That seems excessive to me.

Ive had a couple like that,especially with a four speed,they ran fine until I pulled them.I just had the thrust on the crank welded up and everything was fine.

crank end play should be around .002" - .007"

If you are really able to move it .100"...thats not good

This is what I have read as well.

ha ha ...no less than .006 and preferably no more than .012, with .006-.010 being the sweet spot.

I think that's overboard just a bit and then some there dude. I beileve it's no more than .010.

I just dropped mine in and got .006 at a max. I really leaned on the screw driver when I moved the crank back and forth to get that reading. Otherwise, just a good lean on the screwdriver back and forth to set it up I'd get .005.

This is what I have read as well.

I think that's overboard just a bit and then some there dude. I beileve it's no more than .010.

I just dropped mine in and got .006 at a max. I really leaned on the screw driver when I moved the crank back and forth to get that reading. Otherwise, just a good lean on the screwdriver back and forth to set it up I'd get .005.

you are talking stock out of a book, I'm talking what I and other builders do with a performance piece for street strip/race, and that is...I/we like no less then .006 and no more then .010.
The brand new cranks I've played with were @ .006 ootb.
My friend rick who builds nitro crackle hemi's and ford 351 base race engines go's buy this as well, for any of these old v8's.
Yes they'll run on the big side, just look at our friend here...
oil and bearing cooling.
this experience talking to you here so you might wanna listen.
Btw I wasn't laughing @ his predicament.
:cheers:

I wouldn't think you would laff at his deal. (I think I know better and also know what get's ya giggling)

On the crank end play, YEP! I was thinking stock rebuild stuff. Most of these specs will also, of course, fit a hi performance build. I wasn't thinking race ready rides. I'm not sure I'll get there myself, but theres allways hope.

I wouldn't think you would laff at his deal. (I think I know better and also know what get's ya giggling)

On the crank end play, YEP! I was thinking stock rebuild stuff. Most of these specs will also, of course, fit a hi performance build. I wasn't thinking race ready rides. I'm not sure I'll get there myself, but theres allways hope.

Right on.:cheers:

come on ...there's hope. lol
say..let us know what the end play is on your 360.
I would not be shocked to see it over .007

Without C-rods installed, it's .006 when I lean hard on the screwdriver in order to move the crank.

OH, that Law man, Murphy, he's following me again. Allways something!

-
Back