crank scraper question

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
Ishihara-johnson has long been touted as the best. they have a std dual scraper one for $89 and a teflon one for $219. Are these worth the money & is the teflon one more for longevity than for efficiency? Thank you for you time. RR

Here ya go

Article_Pontiac_teflon_scraper-small.jpg

The Teflon edged scraper allows you to set it closer to the crankshaft. So it can be more efficient. And the Teflon is easier to shape than steel so it can be fit with less work. Any crank scraper will require some clearancing to get a really good fit.

So it is to shed oil from the crank? Didnt know that was a problem

With your wealth of knowledge, I'm truly surprised about you not knowing about scrapers, aka windage trays. They sit just below the crankshaft. It's a perforated piece of sheet metal to prevent the whipped up froth of oil at high RPM from causing oil starvation to the oil pump. I believe all 340's came with one from the factory. My 1970 Swinger 340 has the factory part. Not trying to belittle you, but I can send you pics or more information, as can smarter members on my favorite site.

The Teflon edged scraper allows you to set it closer to the crankshaft. So it can be more efficient. And the Teflon is easier to shape than steel so it can be fit with less work. Any crank scraper will require some clearancing to get a really good fit.
Yes and correct me if I am wrong, but the teflon also allows a "little" contact "if" it should happen. You wouldn't want "THAT" with steel.

Well.......mostly it's not. For guys looking to "unlock" every ounce of power, it can help. It actually reduces the weight of the reciprocating mass by keeping excess oil off the crankshaft. That can be a big asset at say 7500 RPM. It also helps oil CONTROL since it puts more oil back into the pan. If any of that made sense.

With your wealth of knowledge, I'm truly surprised about you not knowing about scrapers, aka windage trays. They sit just below the crankshaft. It's a perforated piece of sheet metal to prevent the whipped up froth of oil at high RPM from causing oil starvation to the oil pump. I believe all 340's came with one from the factory. My 1970 Swinger 340 has the factory part. Not trying to belittle you, but I can send you pics or more information, as can smarter members on my favorite site.
They did. Also, some of the HP 360s did as well. I won't say all, because I think that's been disproven, but a lot of them did. Like some of the E58s and such. IMO though, I believe a decent oil pan baffle is every bit as good as a windage tray.......now throw in a crank scraper and things go to the benefit of that.

One has to remember that running conditions in an oil pan can be compared to a tornado. Oil is literally wrapped around the crank & rods and splashing everywhere, which adds drag/friction to the rotating assembly. The oil mist & droplets add up. Properly designed scrapers and trays help to keep oil below and away from the crank. Some oil gets thrown back up above the crank. What goes up must come down. That's why some engine builders go through a lot of work & research to minimize oil to the upper engine areas without compromising lubrication. Like rocker arms, bearings also receive attention. Why have excess oil "leaking" out the sides of bearings which the rotating assembly then has to drag along and cut through.

I never had the luxury of making back-to-back comparisons, but made educated decisions on what to use. Personally I like and have used scrapers. Trays can be helpful, but not many people use OEM style trays in classes like Stock. The small block trays look like they would hold more oil near the crank than keep it away, not enough drainage. But it does help isolate the oil in the pan from the windage created by the spinning crank. That's why places like Ed Hamburger started with opening up existing OEM windage tray slots and adding more. Screen type trays look like a complimentary addition to a scraper, but there aren't many options for Mopars. Racers fabricate their own combinations also. But one needs the skills & knowledge to make it durable too to hold up against the "tornado". But specific styles & designs aren't often shared. Each engine has it's own problems & needs. The difference between a Mopar small block and the skirted Mopar big block is one example.

A windage tray and a crank scraper are not the same, nor do they do the same thing.

A windage tray and a crank scraper are not the same, nor do they do the same thing.
In speaking with him often, he knows the difference. I see this reply miss worded.

I’ll add that a windage tray (design dependent) is a good thing to a really good thing to install. The tray should not hold any oil. On the OE/MP trays, the slots need to be opened up to allow a quick escape of oil.

excellent info! what windage tray would you guys recommend? high banked 1/3 mile dirt track, race durations 15-30 minutes (if that makes a difference). .

Not sure that they have a pan that will fit your chassis but Champ pans has a good website that has a few good pictures of there oval track pans. They use a bolt in louvered tray, nice stuff!

If not a dry sump, a highside kickout pan (as big a kickout as the headers will allow) and a matching pickup, with as many trapdoors as necessary.
(And I had to correct four different "auto-correct" alterations to that sentence, to make it make sense! Lol. )

-
Back