Crank up Torsion Bars

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I often hear people say to crank up the torsion bars. What does that mean and how do you do it? I have looked at the service manual and it is not clear as to the method it just says to turn the adjusting bolt clockwise to place a load then lower the vehicle to the floor and adjust the front suspension height. I am not sure where the adjusting bolt is or how to determine if I need to crank up my torsion bars.

there is a bolt under the front on the driver and pass.side that you can turn this will pick the car up or lower it down..to adj it you would have to jack the car up and take the pressure of the car to turn them..all so you need to spray them as they are prob. stuck..and if you plan to do this up/lower you need to take a measurement before you did it so you know just how far you have moved it or if its where you want it...i take a measurement from the sill plate right at the bottom of the door and note or you can do it from the lip of the fender.....i forget what size the bolt is of top of my head...hope this helps and i am sure someone else will chime in with more detail for you mike:D

if you like the look of your car now don't even turn them up or down just leave them where they are now...

¾” deep socket is what you need. Lube threads before attempting adjustment. If you do decide to change factory ride height as outlined in FSM, you will disrupt castor, camber, and toe settings. As mentioned above, measure your default height on a level floor before messing around, so you can put it back where you started.

My 2 cents:
If it were me I would leave it alone, these cars are very sensitive to front end off speck ride height adjustments. Handling and ride will suffer, as will bump stops if you go lower.

If you do adjust the front end height (raise or lower), make sure to have it aligned afterwards, very important!!

the bolt is in the center of the lower control arm on the bottom. If you raise or lower it you will need to adjust the upper control arm cam bolts also. I have been adjusting mine by eye for years. If its not wearing the tires edges and the tires are level alls good. To me its not that hard.

-
Back