Cranks

-

injected360

Reaction score
For a budget build on a 360 early 80s block whats a good crank, maybe around 700.00 give or take alittle. Is SCAT good? Never bought a after market crank and not sure which one is best for the dollar. your thoughts.....

I've been using Eagle cast steel cranks in my 360 - $239.00 - $299.00.
They are tough enough for a lot of abuse. If you are doing a "budget" build, there is no reason to go to a $600.00+ forged steel crank.

The OEM cast cranks have held up well also.

if your going to keep the motor for a long time get a good forged crank, i assume your looking for a stroker motor Hughes has a 4.180 crank that will take your 360 to 426" if your looking for a stock stroke just use a stock factory crank, I've been running a stock cast crank with about 425hp. just look for a clean stock one from a member here.

I never had it on a dyno, but by the MPH/weight charts, I estimate 400-425 HP. I have run 11.31 @ 115 mph in the 1/4 with 1.48-1.49 60' times weighing 3,540 lbs+ footbraking.

I had OEM cast cranks in a 2,850 lb Challenger running as fast as 10.22 @ 131 many years ago. Had 1 or 2 crank issues but not 100% sure why. I do know that ignition timing, compression and fuel octane are factors in crank life too.

For a budget build on a 360 early 80s block whats a good crank, maybe around 700.00 give or take alittle. Is SCAT good? Never bought a after market crank and not sure which one is best for the dollar. your thoughts.....

I have a nice 360 shortblock for sale out of my duster....pretty good deal.

I want to run around 12.5 to 13 compression a good aftermarket rod and thats why the crank question I have the OEM crank and the machine shop said it was good but I'd like to try to hit 550 or so HP. I've got a lot of homework to do.......

If you can afford it the forged crank is the way to go everytime. Scat I beams will work just fine for that HP level and lighten up the bobweight big time over an H beam rod!

I want to run around 12.5 to 13 compression a good aftermarket rod and thats why the crank question I have the OEM crank and the machine shop said it was good but I'd like to try to hit 550 or so HP. I've got a lot of homework to do.......

If you run that much compression, I would agree with using a forged crank. But I'd start worrying about the main caps. But that's just me.
If I remember correctly, Mopar uses their beefier aftermarket blocks on their 450+ HP crate engines, and they have less compression.

Stroker cranks.....what stroke can you get into without doing a lot of grinding.....i hear k-1 with the 4.125 and the 2.0 small rod.....then i heard hughes has a bigger one.....i'm interested in the k-1 forged crank and rod combination.....do they hit the oil pump.....thanks webby.

-
Back