CRAP! I'm smoking!

-
I dont think you can fight this type of an oil burning problem with a PCV.
The PCV can help with reducing crankcase pressure due to pressure getting past the rings. But only to a point. It does nothing for oil in the chamber.At your cylinder pressure and leakdown numbers, I doubt there could be any gain from installing one.
However, I run one, to be used as an idle-air bypass, whenever the carb is set up for it. On the engines I have tuned, the bigger the cam, the more idle-air bypass was needed.If you are not running one, and you have not drilled your t-blades, then I suppose that your secondaries are cracked to provide the bypass? If not it would be nearly impossible not to be in to the transfers too far.The only other solution is to crank a ton of idle timing into it. And at 190+ cylinder pressure, thats probably not the best idea.Unless you are not running pump-gas.
The point is this; if cylinders 7 and 8 are burning oil, is it possible that they are running too rich? Rich enough to be washing oil off the cylinder walls?
I guess it wouldnt hurt to have another gander in those intake ports.
As a side note, my SBM-Eddies liked to pool oil at the back two cylinders. I cut some channels back there to help drain that oil.

7 and 8 sounds like your still pullin oil at the back of the block. Are you sure your new intake isn't letting it in?

Yeah a little late there. Then I read the rest of the thread. How do you install the manifold/seal the gaskets? When I get one that's a pain I weatherstrip that gasket to the manifold. And use form-a-gasket to seal to the head. Drastic perhaps,but it works for me.

read post 39 again . most eddy heads suffer from core shift and cnc porting can cause problems .

Well that sucks. Just a thought. I would consider painting them. With that paint they use in lifter valleys to help oil drainback. Thinned out to get into the pores.

Just gonna run it the rest of the summer and have the intake all fixed up come winter. I'm just sick and tired of the off and on thing. I thinks it's been 3 times now....

Pretty sure the angles are good, however the front to back has to be addressed. It's only sucking oil in the two back cyls. And not really bad. Just enough to bother me...

Guess this is sorta throwin' in the towel:banghead:

Drive it and enjoy , if it is still happening at the end of season , you have a project for winter

why are small blocks such a pain in the ***...i notice a lot of different probs the small blocks run into...
Good question , must be cause they are working harder . I've noticed the same , even with leaks . Seems my big blocks never had problems with leaks , my small blocks on the other hand , problems with pan gaskets , intake sealing and valve covers .

I have been running my 340 with exactly the same crankcase ventilization strategy. AND
it has smoked about the same way and rate since my rebuild 3000 miles ago. The oil (and gases) usually get ejected down onto the right header and smokes. It runs about 60psi when warm but near 80 at startup. I think the pressure is causing a little extra blow-by which has coated my tailpipes. I'm using about a quart every 250 miles. I'm going to install a PCV system this weekend. ( maybe with a reservoir ahead of the valve in case there's a lot of oil) I'll let YA know what my results are.

DW

Well, as to post #57, this is getting old. All cyls now sucking oil. I really didn't want downtime, but I think I gotta get this intake cut PROPERLY. After talking with Hughes again, I'm sure the angle are off and forsure the back to front is off. They seemed to be well aware of this sorta thing with Eddy intakes.....

They have a really neat method to check fitment and I could kill myself that I didn't do it when I built this thing. STOOOOPID!

They have a really neat method to check fitment and I could kill myself that I didn't do it when I built this thing. STOOOOPID!

What would this really neat method to check fitment be??? :???:

I dont think you can fight this type of an oil burning problem with a PCV.
The PCV can help with reducing crankcase pressure due to pressure getting past the rings. But only to a point. It does nothing for oil in the chamber.At your cylinder pressure and leakdown numbers, I doubt there could be any gain from installing one.
However, I run one, to be used as an idle-air bypass, whenever the carb is set up for it. On the engines I have tuned, the bigger the cam, the more idle-air bypass was needed.If you are not running one, and you have not drilled your t-blades, then I suppose that your secondaries are cracked to provide the bypass? If not it would be nearly impossible not to be in to the transfers too far.The only other solution is to crank a ton of idle timing into it. And at 190+ cylinder pressure, thats probably not the best idea.Unless you are not running pump-gas.
The point is this; if cylinders 7 and 8 are burning oil, is it possible that they are running too rich? Rich enough to be washing oil off the cylinder walls?
I guess it wouldnt hurt to have another gander in those intake ports.
As a side note, my SBM-Eddies liked to pool oil at the back two cylinders. I cut some channels back there to help drain that oil.
You have a pic of the channels you cut in the ede heads to help draining back 2 cyl ?
Thanks

OK here ya go krazy. hope the link works.
[ame]http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/TechArticles/INTAKE_MANIFOLD_SEALINGJULY2015.pdf[/ame]

OK. Guess the link won't post. Go to Hughes website under tech articles and you'll see "intake sealing". Click and enjoy.

Ya know that PCV cut my oil use dramatically. I found that the pair of breather caps were so full of oil that there was actually very little ventilation going on. When pressure built up it popped by the piston ( blew out my dip stick tube too) it hardly smokes at all now! One other thing I noticed, the oil in the pan has remained clear. Usually it turned black soon after the oil was changed. Hope it helps

Dw

-
Back