Crashed Road Runner

-

moparwedge

Reaction score
A while back I came across a black and white picture of a 68 Road runner crashed bad, there were some kids on bicycles beside the car. I believe this happened when the car was fairly new. The front end was pushed back to the firewall. Trying to find that picture again. I'm sure it was this site.
thx

Oh man! That was a horrible crash. Did they spin the frontend upside down on that Gettex. Or was it ripped off and they just shoved it back together. No way anyone survived.

Wow! I remember seeing the GTX picture before and wondered what could have caused the car to twist like that... yet stay together. Obviously a horrible accident!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 720
l5orjcU.jpg

xp2fBo6.jpg

PdlmKIv.jpg

80Rk6rP.jpg

1969 Dodge Charger crash test 100 mph head-on into concrete wall. looks pretty similar to the Road Runner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 677
  • 1969-Dodge-Charger-Crash-Test-100-MPH.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 692
Makes you really grateful for modern cars. As much as I love driving my dart wrecking it is one of my biggest fears. Those old pictures are why I really think twice before street racing or really speeding on publics roads.

It looks like the GTX was being towed and rolled down the side of huge mountain. The rear wheels are still strapped to the dolly.

If i recall, the GTX was left on display for a week after the wreck. Three younger guys took it out for a joy ride and perished when they hit a tree at a very high rate of speed. The story about it is online somewhere. And I don't think that it was still connected.

If i recall, the GTX was left on display for a week after the wreck. Three younger guys took it out for a joy ride and perished when they hit a tree at a very high rate of speed. The story about it is online somewhere. And I don't think that it was still connected.
if I remember , that same car was a hemi gtx

Makes you really grateful for modern cars. As much as I love driving my dart wrecking it is one of my biggest fears. Those old pictures are why I really think twice before street racing or really speeding on publics roads.

X2 any 10 year old car is much safer than the old ones.
I have had 2 accidents which totaled the vehicles a 65 coronet and a 71 d-100 both times I broke my nose on the steering wheel with my seat belt on.

X2 any 10 year old car is much safer than the old ones.
I have had 2 accidents which totaled the vehicles a 65 coronet and a 71 d-100 both times I broke my nose on the steering wheel with my seat belt on.

I'm with you on this one Sireland!

My son and I were in my 65 Dodge Polara at a complete stop and were hit behind by a ramp truck going between 55-65 MPH (NEVER hit the brakes!?)lifted the read on the car, spun us 180 degrees and shot us down the embankment on the other side of the highway.

The lead investigator said if we were in any of our other cars, we'd be dead.....We both walked out of the hospital the same night.

Attachments

• accidentr.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 385
  • accident2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 390
  • accident3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCN2818.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 382
I'm with you on this one Sireland!

My son and I were in my 65 Dodge Polara at a complete stop and were hit behind by a ramp truck going between 55-65 MPH (NEVER hit the brakes!?)lifted the read on the car, spun us 180 degrees and shot us down the embankment on the other side of the highway.

The lead investigator said if we were in any of our other cars, we'd be dead.....We both walked out of the hospital the same night.

Was that polara the newest car you had or was the lead investigator sayying it was safer then the new cars? Is he think old cars are safer then I think he needs to go back to school.

I remember the 70s when cars were being downsized and were no match for the older cars in a collision. The smaller cars were considered death traps. But things have changed a lot since then. Better crumple zones, air bags, etc...

Was that polara the newest car you had or was the lead investigator sayying it was safer then the new cars? Is he think old cars are safer then I think he needs to go back to school.

In a case like that one (stopped and getting hit from behind), the extra metal of an old car might have helped.

In a case like that one (stopped and getting hit from behind), the extra metal of an old car might have helped.

Possibly. I'm sure he knows more then me and there was probably weird things going on that benifitied the old car. Seeing these pictures just make me realize how dangerous some of these old girls are. Crumble zones, airbags, dashboard designs and regulations make for ugly cars but I would rather get hit by an air bag then have my face smash into a metal dash and a lap belt messing up my hips.

-
Back