crate motor

-

jacksdodges

jacksdodges
Reaction score
My grandson has a 1975 dodge pickup 318. He is wanting to put a complete from carb to oil pan crate motor in it. Hes looking at INDY but hoping to find one more to his use. He doesn't want to race just needs a new motor and wanting to upgrade.

If you go with Indy, They will build to the intended use,, and have the correct oil pan for a truck. I have a 88 1 ton and it is getting tired. For mine I would be looking for stump pullin torque,low RPM.

He should talk to MRL. He is a member here and builds killer engines for fair price.

He should talk to MRL. He is a member here and builds killer engines for fair price.

X2. Mike has a special on complete engines right now that would be perfect for the application and is priced right.

I would not have Indy machine or assemble anything for you. I would suggest Mike at MRL or Bob George Racing - Both are better builders and not too much further from you than Indy.

I would recommend running 9.2 to 9.5 compression, an edelbrock sp2p intake or edelbrock ld4B or wiand dual plane intakes with this crane cam:

Grind #: Z-268-2

Good low end and mid range torque and HP, good idle,
daily usage, off road, towing, economy, mild marine
performance, also mild turbocharged, 2400-2800
cruise RPM, 8.5 to 10.0 compression ratio advised.

Power band: 1200-5000

We rebuilt a 360 back in the day for our 4x4 Warlock II with this cam and it was great! With the stock 360 we got 9 mpg, after rebuilding it with this crane cam were at 11.5 pulling a car on a trailer with MUCH more torque and power.

I also strongly recommend using Rhoades variable duration lifters part #: 2018. They will give more low end and mid range punch. Rhoades lifters are the best, do not try the competitor's variable duration lifters as they do not work as well as Rhoades. It's all that I've used for over 25 years now and have run them over 250,000 miles with no problems.

Here's how we built our Warlock engine:

9.5 compression forged pistons, file fit rings, the crane cam that I mentioned above, double roller timing chain, rhoades lifters, wiand dual plane intake with the 600 - 6000 rpm power band, a carter afb carb (edelbrock wasn't available then), headers into 2 1/4" exhaust that exited under the step (stepside pickup).

I used to put the 4 wheel drive in low and race the early 80's vintage Mustang GT's off stop lights and embarrass them by keeping on their door up to 45 - 50 mph. They were so pissed that a 4x4 gave them that hard of a run! My friends (even non Mopar ones) respected our truck and would claim that we could hook our truck to a house and pull it off its foundation with all the torque it had.

In summary: Crane Grind #: Z-268-2 for your cam, Rhoades 2018 lifters, 9.5 compression, edelbrock sp2p, ld4b, or wiand dual plane intake with iether Holley 600 vacuum secondaries (List # 80457 with electric choke) or Edelbrock 600/625 carb, double roller timing chain, and headers if you desire into dual exhaust (H-pipe or x-pipe optional). That will get that big ol truck moving!!!

Take that recipie to MRL and let him build it.

If you go to Mike to have him build an engine (which is not a bad idea), don't tell him how to build it. Tell him what you will use the engine for and then let him decide how to build it. Mike is good enough he doesn't need anyone telling him how to design an engine.

If you go to Mike to have him build an engine (which is not a bad idea), don't tell him how to build it. Tell him what you will use the engine for and then let him decide how to build it. Mike is good enough he doesn't need anyone telling him how to design an engine.

x2. Although I'd extend that to any reputable performance builder - and if they cannot explain why they choose what they choose to your satisfaction, find another one that will.

-
Back