Craziest Brake Job I have ever done

-

rypp77

Reaction score
My brother in law asked me to help him fix his brakes, I said "No Problem!". Got my tools and jack and went over. I got there and he had already broke a bolt, by over tightening. The thought he was trying to loosen it. This is what I saw.

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

I have never seen anything like this before. Took me 45min to fix both sides. I asked him how long it been like this. He said, he wasn't sure.

- r

yeap sounds like a "brother in law".If you married his sister please tell me she has more sence and if he married your sister take her to counseling.J/k thats messed up tho,how do you not know there is a major problem.

I'm glad you added pics...there's now way I would believe that! Unreal :)

Seen it a couple times selling parts,people just don't pay attention.

Are you sure it needed replaced? There may have been a little additional life left in that rotor!!?? WOW!!

One of my wife's friends once asked me to take a look at her car because when she was backing up out of her drive this thing fell off her car. When she showed me the thing it was a badly worn backing plate for a brake pad. When I saw it i said that I didn't think it was from her car as I didn't think it could just fall out of a caliper. But, I jacked up the car and took a look. Sure enough, no lining on one side. The piston had been rubbing directly on the rotor. It was a mess but nothing like your example!

Hard to believe we are driving within inches of other cars in this sort of condition!!

Seen that before on a few customer's vehicles. I have some of the rotors and pads hanging on the garage wall as displays :finga:

My brother had one do that on a Lincoln he had when he was stopping on a hill.
Said it sounded like a machine gun going off, when those fins hit the edge of the brake pad.
He needed a new caliper too.

I've seen it a couple times, most people aren't that retarded, but they are out there. Guess when they wear past the squeeler, they figure the brakes just fixed themselves.

Just had a tweeker come by the shop, was selling some wheels and tires that came off a Duramax on craigslist. Asked to test fit one on his rig, got it up in the air and the lug nuts off. Went to grab the wheel to pull it off and there was over an inch of movement in the tie rod, and about an inch at the upper ball joint. Pointed it out and the guy goes, "ohh I wondered why it kept wanting to dive off the road in a corner when I had a trailer on"

At one time they didn't have them on the pads.
My brother had bought the car not to long before that . He was young and not that car savvy yet.

Every time I have seen it--and not that many times, the person was a druggie

Wasn't till the car would not move or made very loud noises before they decided it needed repairs

WOW!!! What would make a rotor wear like that? If it was a bad caliper then wouldn't both sides wear? That's some crazy stuff there.

Back when the first "wide body" van style buses came out with (1 ton) front disks, someone brought a pair into my Dad's small town parts store to get them turned. I refused them, one was REALLY thin. IN FACT I drilled a hole in the connector webbing between the rotor proper and the hub section to show the owner how thin they were.

A period of time later, someone came back with a BROKEN disk -- the bus, which ran skiers up and down the local ski hill, had broken one and had an accident.

This guy was irate and threatened to sue. As there were not many of this type around yet, I remembered "the deal" and told him "if you think you want to sue us, you need to show me a receipt that shows we turned it, because I'm telling you we didn't."

Later I found out a competing parts store in town had turned the thing

I've seen some bad ones, but none quite as bad as posted here. Your sister should be looking for another husband.

I work in a shop and see that far too often. "It was only grinding for a few weeks!" The heat involved in that kind of prolonged metal to metal contact usually takes out the calipers as well. Neglect is the word. Shameful neglect.

seen stuff like that before, i worked at Midas for about a yr in the mid 90's. You woudnt believe how much dangerous stuff is running around out there.

Cars needing all sorts of work to be made safe again. "i will come back to get that work done" Yeah sure, just dont be coming up behind me at a light.

One i just couldnt believe......Mid 90's 3/4 ton Dodge truck

"my brakes were making a weird noise for a while, it went away, but now my brake pedal feels weird and it goes down when i have my foot on it"

I take the tires off and one of the rotors is worn down half way through the ventilated rotors, and the backing plate is almost worn completely away, the piston is pushed out past the seal and the caliper is leaking. I just dont get it

Hmm, this happened to my friend once but his rotor did not wear down to the cooling fins like that one. I think he was really broke at the time. Bought a car in nice shape then ended up not having any money to fix anything so it turned into a POS rather quickly.

0415001857.jpg

0415001857a.jpg

0415001858.jpg

What the hell!!

Lucky to be alive driving with brakes like that...

i did a drum brake job once on a 64 full size once. As we know the 8 3/4's then had press on rear brake drums.

"My brakes have been making a grinding noise for a while, but the drums are stuck" I took nut off the axle and used a puller to take the drum off, well half of it came off, the shoes had ground the brake drum almost in half, and the puller did the rest.

First time i had ever seen brake drum lining worn that bad, Ever.......

I just saw one that had chunks of the piston missing because the pad material was completely gone and had worn all the way through the metal backing !!!!!

My brother in law's wife's sister and her husband ( I swear) and they are DOOFUSES big time!

They live rent free in a shack at the end of the property, and for a year he was a realtor (the last year of the bubble). He made 300K that year, but they went to Disney so many times and went on so many cruises, that they had NOTHING the following year when he got let go, and they had to borrow from my brother in law's wife to feed their family.

-
Back