crazy 70s paint jobs

-
im lovin this one here
DSC_0045.jpg

This is a Duster that an older fellow named Sergio owns, he lives near me. Drives around everywhere without the hood on it, and wheelie bars out back.

1970PlymouthDuster550HEMISergio.jpg

1968DodgeFargopu.jpg

1965Chrysler300383front.jpg

1965Chrysler300383pass.jpg

1968PlymouthValiant440.jpg

I saw a one car (1966 chevy) that was tiger striped. What made it interesting was that is wasn't painted, it was fuzzy. The car was covered in short felt like material, sota like the old G.I. Joe's head were. I haven't seen another car done this way. The owner bought the car with this "paint" on it.
The car did look good. I know I wasn't drinking because I saw this car for over a year. Anyone know what that process was?

Whip

I saw a one car (1966 chevy) that was tiger striped. What made it interesting was that is wasn't painted, it was fuzzy. The car was covered in short felt like material, sota like the old G.I. Joe's head were. I haven't seen another car done this way. The owner bought the car with this "paint" on it.
The car did look good. I know I wasn't drinking because I saw this car for over a year. Anyone know what that process was?

Whip

Was it something like this one?
1963PontiacTempestFunnyCarArnieTheF.jpg

64tamelesstiger.jpg

Yes,:cheers: this is close. The car here was not that shiny. I remember the
man washed the car with dish washing soap. It was a neat looking car.

Whip

When I was in Junior High (early 1970's) there was a girl I went to school with whose dad was THE local custom car guy. He & a local grocery store owner went in together to buy the equipment to do paint jobs like this. It was some sort of electrostatic process IIRC. They painted two cars. The body guy had a black '56 Chevy & the grocery store guy had a late 1960's or early 1970's car that was sort of a gold color (I think it was a Pontiac Grand Prix) As far as I know those were the only ones they did. I remember the Pontiac faded pretty bad after a while & I think the stuff started peeling off of the Chevy a few years later.

In the mid 1970's I was at a Darryl Starbird show & they had a Batmobile there that was done in the fuzzy stuff. The pinstripes were Day-Glow orange pinstripe tape. It looked pretty cheezy. I've got some low quality snapshots of that one somewhere.

Ya mean sumthin' like this???

P8120090.jpg

AND YOU WILL NOTICE WHAT IT IS !! Paint was done back in the day.

I belive if I have my son's white Skyline "painted" with this he would :pale:then:pukel:. lol.

Wouldn't this be like early powder coating?

Dont know whos car this is but I see it around and I like it. Its a purple and gold, Hemi 4 speed! This is at Carlisle '08.

CIMG1744.jpg

Ya mean sumthin' like this???

P8120090.jpg

AND YOU WILL NOTICE WHAT IT IS !! Paint was done back in the day.

I read an article that it is a very low mile car, and the owner is going to restore it!! Once again, someone is going to take a low milage original car and make it 'new' again, (as in newer than new). And to this gem no less.

I read an article that it is a very low mile car, and the owner is going to restore it!! Once again, someone is going to take a low milage original car and make it 'new' again, (as in newer than new). And to this gem no less.

thats sad, it looks bitchin the way it is, throw a set of 14" supremes or cragars on some white wall tires and it would look even better!

I know what it took to paint mine... I can Appreciate; what some of those painters can do !!! Simply Art on a car.

i already got a hookup on a painter, a pretty close friend of mine, and he has BADASS paint skills, so i will deffinitaly have him paint it, and i will try n help get involved with it in sandin prepin ect. of course im not gonna half *** it and im gonna have him do the door/trunk jambs and engine bay, so i will need to pull the motor, stripe the engine bay, and pretty much gut the interior, and remove all the chrome trim on the outside, then see if i can use my other friends dads truck n trailer to tow it over to the painters house. will deffinatly be a summer job lol. but 1st i gotta fix the rust issues on it

heres my friend the painters thread on the lowrider site im on
http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=413356

GOD I hope someone talks him out of it! Sure the paintjob might be a little "loud" maybe even extreme but the whole car is a part of history. Restoring it just makes it another Hemi 'Cuda convertible. Sure they're rare, but hasn't anyone told the owner THAT cat with THAT style paintjob makes it even rarer?

Yea, Buckys shop is 8 mi. from my house, his boys done some painting for me.

can you go over there and talk to them for me? tell them there great, tell them to get a website? And get me a 2x t-shirt for Christ sake's!

The man`s hardly ever there! his employees, son? pretty much runs the shop these days. but I heard they opened a new section to restore old cars. I havent been there in years, I`m gonna have to check it out. I think bucky races year round now? must be nice eh!!

This was done in Sweden in the late seventies.
It was for sale a year ago and the guy wanted $ 7k. But I was to late for the deal.

barracuda69 - Kopia.JPG

-
Back