crazy headers

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Dig these crazy Chevy II V8 headers...
s-l1600.jpg

Those look like 180 degree over the top headers. The year 1978 would be about right. The trans on the ground under the front of the Nova looks to be a Richmond 5 speed. They had a tendency of blowing 3rd because of no bearing support for the long span between the bearings. The shafts actually warp under power. I've rebuilt a few of them. By the way, the heads on the motor are straight plug heads, not the "turbo" heads popular back then for hot rodders. All this is guesswork, my memory ain't what it used to be.

Russ.

66 Chevy II was a stock 4/6 banger with the exhaust out that side hole, right? Man that chassis got the 327/350 motor too, wow!

Way back when, I had a '64(?) Nova with a 194 six and power glide. I remember that to put a V8 in one in that time period required a special pan and pick-up. My Nova exhaust went down and back in chassis on driver's side (left) if I remember right. I think that hole is for the exhaust on the 180 degree headers, if that's what they are. The tubes follow the firing order, not right bank and left bank. 1 8 4 3 in one collector, 6 5 7 2 in the other. It sounds like two 750 Honda's going down the road. Very unique.

Russ.

Pretty sure the 283 was available.

All 8 pipes go out that hole?

YY1,

I think the 283 and the 327 was available. A friend of mine had an early style Nova that had a 365 horse 327 in his, don't remember if it came that way or not. He was one of the spoiled "rich kids".

Both collectors would go through that hole I'm pretty sure. I'm trying to visualize what they looked like on a couple of stock cars (circle track) that had them back then. The headers were "high and tight", not low and out like chassis headers are.

Russ.

A friend of mine had a 66 factory 283 4 speed car.

No crazy exhaust, though.

The last Chevy II I messed with was a '64. 396, 3 deuces, 3 on the floor. Can't believe I lived through it. That was back in '72 in high school.

It sounds like two 750 Honda's going down the road. Very unique.

You're right about the sound, Russ. Back in the early '70s there was a B-body Mopar (don't remember make or model) with 180-degree headers that ran brackets at OCIR. Sounded so strange!

-
Back