Cross reference of Tech Manual Tools

-

WV64Signet

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Each time I reference back to my 64 Service Technical Manual the procedures refer to various tools by number (e.g C-3710, C-3646)

Is there somewhere to find a reference list or other artifact that breaks these down?

I've searched on the site and not found this question posted previously... if it has been I'd appreciate the redirect.

Thanks ahead of time to the hive mind.

Chris

The best thing I know is to internet search the numbers, and ask right here, as you need them. For example, I'm fairly certain that the old tool to install the V8 intermediate shaft bushing for the distributor is offered aftermarket, AND last I knew there were aftermarket bushings available that did not NEED the special tool.

Although I ended up going a different direction, I was deep into the middle of a 46E transmission rebuild. Several of the tools that Chrysler names, can be substituted with more generic once, including some tooling to deal with the huge, dangerous spring in the OD unit.

I tend to look at the job and ignore supposed special tools... Haven't found many things I couldn't fix... And certainly not anything on old cars....
There's always a way to do the job....

Examples

C-3710 = Big ******* Hammer
C-3646 = Big *** Pry bar...

Yeah the last part is humor, but the first part is 100% serious..

I tend to look at the job and ignore supposed special tools... Haven't found many things I couldn't fix... And certainly not anything on old cars....
There's always a way to do the job....

Examples

C-3710 = Big ******* Hammer
C-3646 = Big *** Pry bar...

Yeah the last part is humor, but the first part is 100% serious..

Yeah I get it... my take is that I'm too old and impatient to do the right thing with the wrong tool any longer if I can help it. Not that I'm going to go find every obscure 1960s tool :lol:

I do have issues since I spent so long as a military radio tech that following repair instructions went way easier with the right tool....(the set being inventoried routinely) :realcrazy: so there's that crazy

Another bit is just curiosity. The BFH code meant something to someone at some point in history.

Yeah I get it... my take is that I'm too old and impatient to do the right thing with the wrong tool any longer if I can help it. Not that I'm going to go find every obscure 1960s tool :lol:

I do have issues since I spent so long as a military radio tech that following repair instructions went way easier with the right tool....(the set being inventoried routinely) :realcrazy: so there's that crazy

Another bit is just curiosity. The BFH code meant something to someone at some point in history.

I agree the right tool does make things easier but having made a living fixing cars till I got smart & found a new way to make a living I have found you never have the right tool... No matter how many you buy...

My time in the military there were plenty of tools that didn't exist, the vessel I was on was commissioned in 1943 so 30 years later special tools were long since gone and down time while trying to source obscure stuff wasn't an accepted response when your Commander sez jump...

Most of Chrysler's special tools were from Miller Manufacturing.
Miller Tool Company. I had a bunch from working at a Dodge dealer
They were gonna throw them away.From the 60-70's. I gave them all away not too long ago..

see if someone has a slightly newer fsm. if it is a carry over tool it may be listed in a later manual. a lot of the later ones have pics of the spec tools in them.

-
Back