Crossing state lines, with parts

-
The DOT does not need a warrant to make you open the doors to see what's in there, just like the DNR does not need a warrant to come into your home and search your freezer.. I have had them make me break seals on loads I have hauled so they can see what's in the trailer.

Any cop can search your vehicle, without a warrant, in PA now. That was passed into law a few months ago.

Any cop can search your vehicle, without a warrant, in PA now. That was passed into law a few months ago.

With probable cause if I recall reading that correctly. I was actually surprised at that, because most other states were already that way.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Dodge33. Peace be with you brother.

I always wondered why I constantly saw moving trailers pulled over on the road. I would get very upset with their bully attitude. I don't understand why there are laws that bypass original laws of protection against unreasonable search and seizure. Like Maryland trying to make it illegal to carry a knife blade... We do have two inspection stations in North Florida on I-95. Lots of vehicles pulled over.

This information that Pennsylvania is broke is scarey.

When I have to use E logs, I'm all done! I refuse to do it. I use loose leaf paper logs, just the way I like it. :D

Try working on New-clEar we apons: eLogs-multiple kinds AND entries, minimum of 3 people watching you, 30 min briefs, 30-40 minute out-briefs at the end of the day, anyone of you do it wrong/make a mistake-lose rank & pay, critiques over mistakes that are briefed so far up the chain-of-command that admiralty is involved. Admiralty makes the final call on half of our concerns.

The trucking we use involves using former military soldiers on unmarked commercial convoys. They have actually locked up a sheriff in his own car before for demanding to see their cargo. It is an interesting ego measuring contest in the federal government. And there isn't any 1.1 or 1.3 explosive marking on the vehicles. The stuff used to be shipped via train rail, but Hollywood took care of that.

Within the base, shipping back and forth shuts down half of lower base-we have been locked down, on the side of the road for over 13 hours in our cars. 32 wheels on a Kneel-down-transporter (KDT) ICBM low rider. Pretty cool hydraulic Semi.

I can appreciate not enjoying inspections. On a Trident sub, the big Navy mentality is that we don't really have a mission, so we only prepare for INSPECTIONS.

With probable cause .

And THAT is a huge part of the problem, 's far's I'm concerned. This so called probable cause can be invented easily on the spot. Since you are facing a combat soldier with at least some authority and multiple weapons, you are dead in the water. "If you have the money" you might be able to argue it out later in court. This does you no good at all at the time, on that lonely side of the road.

The same time the "search without warrant" thing went into effect, another went into effect.

The ability to fine, arrest, and imprison (as well as impound the vehicle) anyone found to own a vehicle with a "secret compartment" (the term "secret compartment" is used so loosely, that it even targets vehicles with factory storage compartments).

Extended Cab Dodge Dakotas would fall into that category, with the "under the rear seat" storage compartment, which could be defined as a "Secret Compartment".

I hate to say it, but PA (Penndot in particular) are crooks.

Not only are they looking for anything illegal to fine to bring in money, but they're also resorting to performing illegal activities to bring in money. Everything from screwing people out of their registration (multiple times in a row) and forcing them to purchase it again due to "errors", to claiming factory equipment on a vehicle doesn't pass PA State Inspection standards.

For example : If you have a vehicle with fog lights, that uses a switch to turn on the fog lights (almost all brand new vehicles with fog lights are like this). You're given the option to remove the fog lights from your vehicle or modify the wiring harness to pass PA Inspection, because they don't turn on/off with the Low Beams.

I was under the impression that before a new vehicle could be released for sale in the US, it had to meet the regulations for the 50 States? (As well as emissions requirements aka 49 State & California Emissions equipment. And Crash Safety as well). If I'm correct there, wouldn't Penndot be fraudulently 'cooking' the books, and then turning around and claiming afterward it's not legal.

Not to mention they're raising the PA Gas Tax (By the time it reaches the "Goal" they have set, we'll have the highest gas prices in the country), as well as raising registration fees, driver's license fees, everything related to a vehicle. Because Penndot claims they need an additional 2.3 BILLION Dollars a Year for road maintenance. Do we have the worst roads in the country? Damn right we do. Ever watch a Penndot Road Crew fixing a road?

Picture this. 6 - 8 guys to patch a pothole (throw in a bag of that asphalt patch you can buy at Lowes/Home Depot). 1 is holding a Sign to tell drivers to Slow Down or Stop, the other 7 are sitting in a truck or leaning against shovels doing nothing. That'll go on for 2 - 4 days, for 1 pothole. And when they leave, the Pothole is worse than it was before they arrived.

Im in bedford co. ..... and ur rite ..... i don't even like going from bedford to saxton with a car on my trailer. Cops here suck and don't forget the goober in every township trying to cover his pay. ......

at nats once in buddy's MO truck. got pulled over because we ONLY had a tag on front, none in rear. explained to him that in MO ( where we were from) on the 10,000 GVW truck, they only give you one tag and it is required to go on front. took quite a while to convince the dumb a__, that NO we weren't going to OHIO dmv and buy a OHIO tag!!! and NO we weren't gonna have a tag in back... true! LOL

Brother In Law use to train horses in Texas. I ran 18,000 lb plates on my dually, and got pulled over so many times, I finally had a tag made that said Missouri truck officer. Tag is on the front.

Just so you know, the DOT in ANY state can pull you over for pulling a trailer, empty or loaded. They DO NOT need a reason. They can actually pull you over if you are driving down the road with a stepladder in the back.

It's all part of the Federal Safety Regs., I'm not saying it's right, but they do have that power.

What you should have done is stopped at the closest CAT scale and weighed your rig before leaving out.

In the future when you leave out from anywhere, stop and weigh it before you get pulled, CAT will go to court with you and help defend you in the case if you should get pulled over again for that. It costs 10 bucks, but it's good security.

Again, I'm not defending them by any stretch, I have to deal with them on a daily basis when I'm out in my big truck.

Unless your vehicle is registered to a business and you operate commercially I would seriously look into the log book violation. Also IF you are registered as a business you must have a chauffeurs liscense to drive that vehicle legally.

No, wrong! You do NOT need a "chauffeur's licence" to drive commercially! You need a CDL if over the weight cutoff (26,000lbs combined, 10,000lb trailer). But you do NOT need anything beyond a DOT medical card otherwise!

With probable cause if I recall reading that correctly. I was actually surprised at that, because most other states were already that way.

They do not need probable cause...they can just make it up. If you refuse, you just might suffer a couple of "self inflicted" gunshot wounds to the back, or might drown yourself in a toilet while "resisting arrest".

There is a reason cops react to cameras like cockroaches to floodlights.

The same time the "search without warrant" thing went into effect, another went into effect.

The ability to fine, arrest, and imprison (as well as impound the vehicle) anyone found to own a vehicle with a "secret compartment" (the term "secret compartment" is used so loosely, that it even targets vehicles with factory storage compartments).

Extended Cab Dodge Dakotas would fall into that category, with the "under the rear seat" storage compartment, which could be defined as a "Secret Compartment".

I wonder if that might even apply to any station wagon or SUV with an under-floor storage compartment.

Heck...it might apply to the under-seat storage on my Burgman!

No, wrong! You do NOT need a "chauffeur's licence" to drive commercially! You need a CDL if over the weight cutoff (26,000lbs combined, 10,000lb trailer). But you do NOT need anything beyond a DOT medical card otherwise!

Well, you seem pretty sure of yourself, so I won't waste my time arguing with you.

I ran my own business here which involved driving my plow truck, pulling mowers in the summer etc.

The guys HAD to have a chauffeurs license and my vehicles were no where near the weight limit, they were simply commercial vehicles.

No medical card necessary.

Over 10K GVWR needs a medical card.

I am absolutely one hundred percent certain I am correct...because I work with THREE people driving commercial vehicles (25-26,000GVWR box trucks) on regular licences! If you claim otherwise, please cite the statute.

Over 10K GVWR needs a medical card.

I am absolutely one hundred percent certain I am correct...because I work with THREE people driving commercial vehicles (25-26,000GVWR box trucks) on regular licences! If you claim otherwise, please cite the statute.

Apparently you aren't familiar with the new "self certify" rules.

I have been involved in both intrastate and interstate transportation for 36 years now, long before CDL's were even implemented in 1992.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/medical

What are CDL holders required to do?

You must determine whether you operate in interstate or intrastate commerce, and are excepted or non-excepted from either the Federal or State requirements. You must certify to your SDLA that you fall into one of the four operation categories listed below:

• Interstate non-excepted: You are an Interstate non-excepted driver and must meet the Federal DOT medical card requirements (e.g. – you are "not excepted").
  • Interstate excepted: You are an Interstate excepted driver and do not have to meet the Federal DOT medical card requirements.
  • Intrastate non-excepted: You are an Intrastate non-excepted driver and are required to meet the medical requirements for your State.
  • Intrastate excepted: You are an Intrastate excepted driver and do not have to meet the medical requirements for your State.

Who Needs a Commercial License in Michigan?

You'll need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) in MI if you intend to drive any of the following:

• A single vehicle whose actual, registered, or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is 26,001 lbs. or more.

• A vehicle that is towing a trailer or another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more, with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more.

• A vehicle designed to either transport at least 16 passengers (including the driver) or carry hazardous materials.

My vehicles were under 10K GVW which only require a chauffeur license.

Therefore:

Obtaining a Chauffeur's License in Michigan

To obtain a MI chauffeur's license, you must pass a written chauffeur's license test. If you haven't already received your operator's license, you'll also need to complete a driver's education class and pass a skills test.
Your MI chauffeur's license will cost $35. Testing is available through Secretary of State branch offices.
The following professions all require a chauffeur's license:

• Chauffeurs: Depending on the type of vehicle you are operating, you may also need to obtain a Michigan CDL. See "Who Needs a Commercial License in Michigan?" above.
  • Taxi drivers.

They fall under the category of intrastate excepted, and subsequently require no medical card.

IF the OP is registered commercially and flies a DOT number AND is certified "Interstate Excepted", does not require a DOT medical card.

because I work with THREE people driving commercial vehicles (25-26,000GVWR box trucks) on regular licences!

Well, I hope they don't get busted. In Rhode Island that vehicle requires a Class C CDL.

See here on the application:

[ame]http://www.dmv.ri.gov/documents/forms/license/CDLApplication.pdf[/ame]

AND if they are "Intrastate Excepted" they do not need a DOT card.

A driver needs a CDL if the vehicle meets one of the following definitions of a CMV: Class A truck. Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg).

A commercial driver's license (CDL) is a driver's license required in the United States to operate any type of vehicle weighing more than 10,001 lb (4536 kg) for commercial use, or transports quantities of hazardous materials that require warning placards under Department of Transportation regulations, or that is designed to transport 9 or more passengers (including driver) for compensation, or 16 or more passengers (including the driver), for noncompensation. This includes, but is not limited to, tow trucks, tractor trailers, and buses.[1]

Well, you seem pretty sure of yourself, so I won't waste my time arguing with you.

I wouldn't.

If you notice a pattern he comes in once, twice a month, finds the threads he can be contrary to anyone on and leaves for another couple of weeks.

Classic definition of troll.

Yall will like this .... Got a 95 ram last week just to move snow with. Went to get it taged and at some point down the line someone lowered the GVW to 5k. I guess in PA you can lower ur GVW but can't raise it without a inhanced inspetion. So now my dodge witch is 4880 dry is over weight with me in it and i get to spend 250 bucks to fix it . As it stands now i could be givin a overweight ticket in my 3/4 ton dodge just by filling the tank. And of late DOT has been messin with loaded pickups. The s10 dragin bummper withgravel, the 1/2 ton with a 8 foot plow 35 in tires thf rust ford with a new inspetion sticke stuff like that. Guess thay need the money. Now i can't make a dump run all because somebody wanted to save 40 bucks. ...... Sucks

Apparently you aren't familiar with the new "self certify" rules.

I have been involved in both intrastate and interstate transportation for 36 years now, long before CDL's were even implemented in 1992.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/medical

What are CDL holders required to do?

You must determine whether you operate in interstate or intrastate commerce, and are excepted or non-excepted from either the Federal or State requirements. You must certify to your SDLA that you fall into one of the four operation categories listed below:

• Interstate non-excepted: You are an Interstate non-excepted driver and must meet the Federal DOT medical card requirements (e.g. – you are "not excepted").
  • Interstate excepted: You are an Interstate excepted driver and do not have to meet the Federal DOT medical card requirements.
  • Intrastate non-excepted: You are an Intrastate non-excepted driver and are required to meet the medical requirements for your State.
  • Intrastate excepted: You are an Intrastate excepted driver and do not have to meet the medical requirements for your State.

Who Needs a Commercial License in Michigan?

You'll need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) in MI if you intend to drive any of the following:

• A single vehicle whose actual, registered, or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is 26,001 lbs. or more.

• A vehicle that is towing a trailer or another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more, with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more.

• A vehicle designed to either transport at least 16 passengers (including the driver) or carry hazardous materials.

My vehicles were under 10K GVW which only require a chauffeur license.

Therefore:

Obtaining a Chauffeur's License in Michigan

To obtain a MI chauffeur's license, you must pass a written chauffeur's license test. If you haven't already received your operator's license, you'll also need to complete a driver's education class and pass a skills test.
Your MI chauffeur's license will cost $35. Testing is available through Secretary of State branch offices.
The following professions all require a chauffeur's license:

• Chauffeurs: Depending on the type of vehicle you are operating, you may also need to obtain a Michigan CDL. See "Who Needs a Commercial License in Michigan?" above.
  • Taxi drivers.

They fall under the category of intrastate excepted, and subsequently require no medical card.

IF the OP is registered commercially and flies a DOT number AND is certified "Interstate Excepted", does not require a DOT medical card.

Well, I hope they don't get busted. In Rhode Island that vehicle requires a Class C CDL.

See here on the application:

http://www.dmv.ri.gov/documents/forms/license/CDLApplication.pdf

AND if they are "Intrastate Excepted" they do not need a DOT card.

Thank you: everything you just posted PROVED ME CORRECT!

A class C CDL is needed for a <26K GVWR vehicle that needs a CDL for something OTHER THAN the weight: usually, either >15 seats (shuttle bus, school bus) or haz-mat (pickup carrying dynamite, Stepvan carrying oxygen tanks, delivery truck carrying X-ray machines or biohazardous cargo).

So, to recap: you can drive a truck with a GVWR of 26,000lbs or less on a regular licence.

I wouldn't.

If you notice a pattern he comes in once, twice a month, finds the threads he can be contrary to anyone on and leaves for another couple of weeks.

Classic definition of troll.

I have been driving commercial vehicles for a living for 15 years, I know the CDL rules quite well. If you do not like it, kindly kiss my ***.

I have been driving commercial vehicles for a living for 15 years, I know the CDL rules quite well. If you do not like it, kindly kiss my ***.

You're a legend in your own mind. You know everything about everything :roll:

Its fairly easy ..... Up to 26000 class C .... 26001 CDL .... Single unit 26001-80000 class B .... Combo class A. Then ya got ya air stamp then then hazmat stamp then ur pass stamp. But nun of this happens untill ya get ur medical card. DOT is DOT there a federal thing. What thay say goz. Then ya got the states and thay can snd do set there own rules. Altho still DOT legal it mite be easy to get a CDL im MD (where i got mine) than in TX. But to that end if ur door sticker sez 7k and ya got 11k in it CDL or not ur boned

Yall will like this .... Got a 95 ram last week just to move snow with. Went to get it taged and at some point down the line someone lowered the GVW to 5k. I guess in PA you can lower ur GVW but can't raise it without a inhanced inspetion. So now my dodge witch is 4880 dry is over weight with me in it and i get to spend 250 bucks to fix it . As it stands now i could be givin a overweight ticket in my 3/4 ton dodge just by filling the tank. And of late DOT has been messin with loaded pickups. The s10 dragin bummper withgravel, the 1/2 ton with a 8 foot plow 35 in tires thf rust ford with a new inspetion sticke stuff like that. Guess thay need the money. Now i can't make a dump run all because somebody wanted to save 40 bucks. ...... Sucks

I hear you, Penndot screwed up royally on the title for my Dakota

My Dakota is a 3/4 Ton Truck according to Penndot, it has an 8,500 lbs GVWR according to Penndot.

When I registered my Dakota a few years back, Penndot thought they were going to try to screw me. They mailed me a Registration Card that was 90% Blank, it had no vehicle information on it, just my name. Then they wanted me to pay additional fees and purchase the registration a second time because "They're not responsible for any mistakes they make" (Penndot actually has a fine print that covers their butt for any mistakes they make)

A few years later, they did a similar thing to me with my '73 Duster. Not once, but 2 years in a row. Until my insurance agent informed penndot that the bank's attorney would handle things.... 3 hours later I got a phone call from Penndot, to inform me that "the issue had been resolved" and I could pick up my registration.

When you come through toll booth on PA turnpike you get weighed, If I had over 1/2 tank of fuel in my dually (no trailer), it would give me a class 2 ticket, which is a higher toll. Then when paying toll at the exit booth, I would tell the toll taker and they would only charge me the class 1 price saying my weight was around the 9500 lb that would give me that Class 2 ticket. Also to slow down on the scale at the booth to get accurate reading, hard braking on it gives a heavier reading.
PA follows Federal DOT rules. Under 26000 Class C license is only required, but I got fined for no medical card since I was over 17,000 lbs combined. 10,000 truck, 14,000 trailer (25,000 total). Also was questioned about what was inside trailer, and got the lecture on inter vs intra state commerce, DOT numbers, those fines, etc...

Sold my 01' F350 and trailer, the guy that bought them purchased a brand new F350... and the GVW on that new truck put him over 26,001 lbs limit. CDL now required. Lot of these new trucks have GVWR ratings that are way higher than older models.

No Ford smaller than an F-650 has a GVWR over 26,000lbs. (And many F-650's, including the one I drove, are under 26K.)

-
Back