Crossmember

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just swung a 400/727 into a 71 Duster. Can I get some picture shots of the crossmember?

Thanks crew!

Not sure if this will be worth a dang to you since this is my 318 904 but I hope maybe it helps anyhow.

thats the only pictures I have of mine right now....never took pictures after I installed it.

Attachments

• DSCI0802.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 408
  • DSCI1148.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 357
Well, a little bit it does.

Here's more of the story.....

I think the cross member part I have that came with the car to be from a /6 trans. I can not post a photo of it. So, I figured a look at what the crew here has would help. The underside shot you have is to dark for me to see what I'll possible need. *I think* all I need is a mount.

Thanks.

They all use the same cross member dont they ? I think even the tranny mounts are the same from 67 to 72

LOL, thanks Adam. Forgetting the little things in doing stuff, I had on hand a '79 cross member.

I know I had a rough time getting a trans mount for my duster.

the parts store had like 3 or 4 different mounts to choose from and their computer was showing the wrong mount for my car and I finally had to tell them to bring them all up to the counter so I could personally pick the mounted I needed.

as for all sharing the same cross member......I am not sure.

For a certain amount of years, yes, then they welded on a basic extention. Or it so appears.

close but it don't look quite right....I want to say mine is different but I am not 100% on that without going out and looking.

Would that be the $14.95 MRE-2272 or
the $51.95 ENE5-1112G?

I think I only paid like $12-$15.00 for mine at my local parts store. there not that expensive

plus if you buy it online you can use one of MANY discount codes advance auto parts offers and get 20-30% off of that price most likely.

pay online and if you have an advance auto near by you can simply print off the order receipt (or write down the order number) walk in an hour later and pick it up right then and there.

unless they don't have it in stock (which the website will tell you what stores have it in stock).

my store had mine in stock.

EDIT: I just checked your zip code and seen no stores in your area have one in stock.

BUT you can have one shipped to your house....and if you use the promo code P20 at check out you will get 20% off your order which will drop it down to $24.45 shipped (shipping is a little on the expensive side) but thats one option for you anyhow.

I wouildn't buy ANY mount until I found out where it was made. I haven't seen a parts store mount that was made anywhere but India in about ten years. The Indian rubber is garbage. I'd make my own first........

I knew that mount looked different than what I have on my duster! ....so there must have been more than one mount used on A-bodies after all.

I went out yesterday and slid under the duster and took some pictures of mine (sorry the quality isnt that great....was using my cell phone and sun was shining in).

anyhow....mine looks to be some sort of a spool mount .....2 bolts hold it to the tranny and then one long bolts goes through an "ear" on each side of the cross member and the bolt passes through the spooled mount.

here are some pics.

IMG_20110709_194143.jpg

IMG_20110709_194200.jpg

-
Back