crosswind intake, review and questions

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
ok, i know how most people feel about these chinese parts, but i have one thats already gasket matched that im trying to fit up.
few things on quality:
1. the aluminum is still cheap quality
2. the ports lined up better out of the box than the ports on the victor jr. its replacing
3. it does not accept the standard size heater hose nipple on the passengers side. only the drivers side.
4. THE LA STYLE MOUNTING HOLES ARE ALL DRILLED AT THE WRONG ANGLE. that one really pissed me off.
5. mine came straight and true as far as the manifold to head flanges. good on the angles, too.

now for the question.
whgat have y'all used for throttle return spring and throttle cable brackets? i tried rebending mine to clear the magnum head pattern bosses, but am not having any luck at it. they still dont want to work well.
any odeas?
Michael

I thought the cross wind was drilled for both la and magnum heads? And there are plugs for the holes you dont use..

My 1974 Duster 360 was missing ALOT when I started going through the engine stuff....kickdown linkages, console shifter linkages,..ect.

I scored a Crosswinds Air Gap for cheap, and a Edelbrock 1406 fell into my lap for literally $15.00....I needed a bracket to hold both the Throttle Cable and a Lokar Kickdown Cable.......I ended up making what I needed:
006-2.jpg

So far so good.

final verdict:
it works. had to re-machine all the intake to LA head bolt holes. down on power from the victor jr, but up on throttle respose and low end torque.
to get the end rails to seal properly, i had to use bothe the cork gaskets AND an 1/8 bead of RTV. they were that wide.

the carb pad sits awfully close to the runners. not as much clearance as other intakes, so be warned. not a problem with 1/2 inch spacer though.
required completely different tune up than the single plane
the thermostat pad is mis-cast a little bit. doent exactly match the housing.
made throttle brackets from 3/16 flat aluminum. just a flat pice that bolts under the left rear carb stud for the cable, and a bent piece with a hole for the spring mounted under a manifold bolt.

i would recommend dry fitting this intake and running all the bolts down before attempting install.

would i buy it again?
probably not. id pony up the extra for the RPM air gap. just a much higher quality piece from what ive seen. will the RPM air gap make extra power? probably not.

just figured id check back in.

michael

Ill bet the rpm would have made just as much power on the top as the victor, yet still had all the torque. The volume inside the rpm is much larger than the crosswind, which supports more top end power.

will the RPM air gap make extra power? probably not.

The RPM AG would definitely make more power.

I don't care where the Pro Prod is made, its a POS.

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences with it!

figured someone like me, who does his reseach before buying something could benifit from this.
most of the time, the reviews stop at purchase. no after thoughts or impressions. so i wanted to help someone else out.
id love to have the coin to test the two back to back. but i dont, so i cant substantiate or deny that the RPM Air gap would or would not make more power than the crosswind.

-
Back