crt low gear set

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
My tranny is gettin rebuilt. I have a new turbo action reverse vb going in it. I was wondering how much of a diffrence if any would be if i put a crt low gear set in my 727 the motor is a 440 with a 4000 stall 456 gears.

It depends on a few things. First is the weight of the car. Next is the engines torque output. And last what gears your running. With a 440, 4000 stall converter, and 4.56 gears I kinda doubt you'd see a big improvement, if any. Especially if it's a light car. A low gear set will help a small cube engine much more because they don't make the torque of a big cube engine. Just my opinion.

Unless something's changed in the last few years , those low gear sets for the 727 are not streetable .

Like my fellow members have stated before me : waste of money in a low-geared , high-torque car . The 2.74 set was bourne-out of necessity ; cars were getting so smogged-down that their low-end was suffering .
When combined with a tightly-geared diff ( 2.25 , 2.45 ) , you can see how these cars were pigs .

But , I divulge ...

Those 998/999 gearsets are great if you've got :
- Heavy car
- low-torque motor
- high-geared diff ( 2.25 , 2.45 , 2.71 , 2.76 , 2.93/2.94 )

with the 2.74 low gear set, you'll hit the tires too hard...aka spin the heck out of them! save your $$$ and do other things for ET!

Low gear sets work best in heavy bracket cars with a weak 60 foot time. The new design 727 helical low gear sets can be used with a trans brake.
I run a low gear set in my car cause I like big wheelstands.
My buddys Duster ran 10.10 alday long, I change to the low gear set and the car runs 10 flat. In most cases its worth a tenth.

-
Back