'Cuda alternator questions

-

LP1966

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have done a few searches under different phrases and can not locate a thread to help with following:
1) Where can I find the specs for the original alternator for my 66 273;
2) I want to upgrade to a higher output alternator due to additional accessories (sound system, etc - car is being re-wired front to back w better wire, eliminating ammeter, and firewall connectors). I have heard that the standard alt is 37A or 60A, but nothing definitive. My estimate is that I will need around 75A to 90A.
3) for such an upgraded alternator, can anyone suggest a good source(s)?
4) is there anything I need to know when upgrading to keep from doing any damage?

Thanks for your input :)

I put a 100amp from summit on my 67 barracuda, With the instrustions they gave me I had to jumper a ground wire, everything else was plug and play, also make sure you have a updated voltage regulater.

66 cuda with v8 46 amp alt stock

upgrade to dual field from say 74 road runner (oreilly) 78 amp
Part # : 01-0152 | Line: ULT
upgrade wiring for voltage regulator (pigtail) Borg warner
Part # : PT173 | Line: BWD
upgrade voltage with regulator from same application mentioned
Part # : R296 | Line: BWD

follow diagram - easy and done

Attachments

• latealt.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,692
I think stock was ~30 A. There were round-back alternators rated 60 A, mostly for taxi and other fleets and most/all had the "fleet bypass" of separate wires thru the bulkhead and perhaps a bigger ammeter (?). A popular after-market upgrade was stator coils for ~60 A from J.C. Whitney, so yours could have that. The later square-back alternator is rated ~50-70 A and, more importantly, puts out more current at idle.

How did you determine the current you need? I think the current ratings on many things like fans and amplifiers is "worst case" and their average draw is much less. Peak loads are supplied by the battery. The alternator just needs to provide slightly more than the average load to slowly recharge the battery.

this is good info..thanks guys.

I have eliminated the bulkhead connector with a new heavy duty harness running through a special firewall fitting.

The only big single current draw I'll have is is an Alpine amp in the trunk, and it has a 60A fuse. I don't do rap, plus I'm 59 yrs old and not deaf, so I won't be cranking it anywhere near where it will be drawing that much.

Also I'm keeping the regular headlights, not the super-bright "haha I think I just blinded the other guy" blue ones.

So I'm thinking 60A would be plenty. I have a voltmeter in place of the ammeter, so that is solved as well.

Rocky JS, these are newbie questions, but can you give me a bit more info on where to locate a new 60A alternator or voltage regulator like you described above? the link was to a page of different ones, and I could not find the PN R296. Also what does "Line BWD or ULT" mean? (told ya I was a newbie)Never mind - found alternator
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BSAAL502X_0312020818
and voltage reg
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Borg-Warner-R296P-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B000BZBTS6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365186071&sr=8-2&keywords=borg+warner+R296"]Borg Warner R296P Voltage Regulator : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

"Google and ye shall find" ...works pretty good.

Thank for your help everyone

That NAPA alternator is pricey ($62) as is the Amazon Vreg. I am the CMB, so grabbed some on a PickNPull trip for maybe $10. Just about any ~74-85 Mopar should have one, even K-cars. Check rockauto or local auto parts for better prices.

Thanks Bill. It always helps to save a buck or 2, especially with the long "to do" list on this car.

I should have the wiring done this weekend, and hope to take it for a shake-out cruise on Sunday.

I appreciate all the help I have recd from you guys.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA78wVCwtwY"]1966 Plymouth Barracuda TV Ad - YouTube[/ame]

did you get it all updated ok?

just to answer for someone else who might stumble across.
The line code BWD, ULT etc are manufacturers BWD as you figured out was Borg Warner Division. Normally an abbreviation of manufacturer name Meguire's would be MEG. Many of the part numbers will interchange and cross reference, the ones I stated were from O'reilly auto parts.

Hey Rocky

I got all the parts in, but have not installed. Right now the dash is out and the wiring is being completed. I'll update when I get it all done.

I agree..it has really helped me when i read the results of projects here, so I plan to either post success or divorce....hopefully the former.

Thanks

-
Back