Cuda Capers 9-3-07 // Engine is IN !

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
After a string of busy weekends where I got nothing done I finally dropped that lump between the fenderwells this afternoon. After an exasperating morning of hunting down a slide hammer to pop out the old pilot bearing, it was smooooooth sailing from there on in.

Saturday I cleaned and painted the transmission and crossmember. So far it's been a pleasure bolting this car together. Cleaning everything up and having all the hardware ready saves time and aggravation.
Barracuda401-vi.jpg

SEARS sells an Epoxy appliance paint that's really tough. I sprayed my K frame and suspension parts 4 years ago with it and it has held up pretty good. I cleaned the crossmember in a hot tank, then prepped it with some brake-clean, dried it, and sprayed it on. It looks good for a rattle can detailing....
Barracuda400-vi.jpg

Here's Brother Cesar, who plays guitar in my band, bolting on the engine mounts for me. Cesar, who's a technician for Lexus, owned a couple of Darts when he lived in Los Angeles and is all too eager to help with the project when he can, even if it's just loaning me his van so I can buy more junk for it.... He's also EXTREMELY dangerous with a Les Paul or his Iceman. Dude plays like a cross between Dimebag and Tom Morello. Awesome player....
Barracuda407-vi.jpg

Open up and say "AHHHHHH"...
Barracuda409-vi.jpg

I can't believe there's an engine in it again! It's only been 2 years...
Barracuda412-vi.jpg

Barracuda410-vi.jpg

Engine and transmission: INSTALLED!
Barracuda413-vi.jpg

Here's a little teaser shot of what's yet to come.
Barracuda414-vi.jpg

The only down-side was that my neighbor was having a yard party and the music he was blasting sounded like a cross between a bowling ball being dropped down a flight of stairs (for over an hour....) and singing that sounded like it was painful. Good thing I was able to fight back with some Slipknot and Tool.....

Next stop: Install the old exhaust system, sump the fuel tank, and plumb this sucker so I can fire it UP!!!!!!!! Once it's broken in and I got the jetting and timing right I'll install the ceramic TTI's system.

Barracuda401-vi.jpg

Barracuda401-vi.jpg

Barracuda400-vi.jpg

Barracuda400-vi.jpg

Barracuda407-vi.jpg

Barracuda407-vi.jpg

Barracuda409-vi.jpg

Barracuda409-vi.jpg

Barracuda412-vi.jpg

Barracuda412-vi.jpg

Barracuda410-vi.jpg

Barracuda410-vi.jpg

Barracuda413-vi.jpg

Barracuda413-vi.jpg

Barracuda414-vi.jpg

Barracuda414-vi.jpg

very very nice.... if i was installing my motor should i install the auto trany first or bolt it to the motor then put it in?

very very nice.... if i was installing my motor should i install the auto trany first or bolt it to the motor then put it in?

I find it easier to drop in the engine first, then install the transmission. I didn't want to scratch anything, so that's how I did it.

Slowly but surely.... it's coming together!

It's coming together very nicely John,that's gonna be one hell of a nice Fish!

Be careful wiith that Exasperating it you'll go blind you know!:mrgreen:

The engine bay looks gorgeous. Glad to see the lung dropped in without to much hassle. BTW I love the color, is that the factory turquoise?

Grant

The engine bay looks gorgeous. Glad to see the lung dropped in without to much hassle. BTW I love the color, is that the factory turquoise?

Grant

Yeah, it does look good doesn't it? After I snapped that last picture I stepped back and said to myself..."DAMN! This is gonna be one sweet sunofabitch!"

The color is the factory Surf Turquoise, LL1. And I'm soooo glad I didn't change the color. You have to see it in direct sunlight. It's awesome!

Thanks for the compliments guys! More to follow. Especially the video clip of it running. :glasses8:

that looks pretty sweet for a small block!!! ya gotta just love those six packs!

Those of you that already finished your projects know EXACTLY how I'm feeling right now. I step back and see something I thought I'd NEVER see: a really nice looking car. It's taken almost 10 years to get here and I'm glad I rode out the storm. This car has given me quite a bit of grief over the years...

This is what I bought back in `98...seen here in `99 when I first got it running.
JonCuda-vi.jpg

And it's not done yet....
I'm so %$#@#$% happy I could pee myself.
676.gif

JonCuda-vi.jpg

JonCuda-vi.jpg

Lookin' wicked buddy! :snakeman: I can't wait to see the video. :hello1:

BTW, I saw the guy on "Extreme 4x4" knock out a pilot bushing by first finding a bolt that slides in the bushing with very little clearance, packing the hole with grease and giving the bolt a couple of whacks. The bushing popped right out. I never tried it, but I'm dying to see if this technique really works in "real life" lol! A little late now, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

That looks great, I especially like the all aluminum top half of the motor, you should have painted the block cast gray, that would have been cool. But, its your project, dont let anyone else tell you how to do it.

-
Back