CudaChick's Dirt Bike Thread -- '90 Honda XR200

-
Kim, anybody who's gotten a part or hardware back from me will verify everything is always masked off or protected so there's no coating on the threads of either bolts or nuts, or any threaded areas on the main part itself. If you look closely at those pics I posted, you'll see bare threads throughout on the hardware AND every other part, including every thread in the frame, as well as all close-tolerance areas: where the triple trees attach, where the throttle rides on the right side of the handle bars, and where the swing arm bushings go.

It's also become my habit for those customers working on long term projects to lightly oil all bare threads before I return their parts. I never know how long that stuff's going to be sitting there (and neither do they lol) and the last thing I want anybody to see is rust when they finally whip it out of the box to put it on their car.

To more accurately answer your question though, powder coating is optimally only a few mils thick -- 3 or 4 tops -- and generally will not interfere except for extremely close tolerances. Just because so many shops do not protect threads, there are tapping and grinding horror stories throughout the industry. I refuse to become one of them and take great pride in my attention to detail. (Intake fittings though NEVER seem to thread all the way down and knowing exactly where it'll bottom out when it's cool is a tough call, so occasionally intake customers will have a few bare threads showing after installation. I make my best estimate after a mock up but am not always right.)

Kind of along these lines, I forwarded a link to this thread to one of my current customers because I have his KX250 frame here in line for coating. Though there's been a few choppers and bicycle frames, his would've been the first dirt bike I've ever done. Although the spring riding season is fast approaching, I wanted to get through a basic assembly of Billy's powder coated XR200 to familiarize myself with the details so Chris wouldn't have any troubles when his came home. This Honda has gone back together so swiftly and easily it makes me proud to have done the work, but as it turned out I learned a vital lesson -- the ground wire attachment in Post #11 above should have been masked -- so the little delay on his bike was justified in my opinion. I hope it's also justified in HIS opinion ;-) ... knowing in advance that he has other bikes his kids can enjoy in the meantime made this decision an easy one in my quest for perfect results for my boys.

I know most business owners probably wouldn't tell anybody about that stuff but I've never seen any harm in honesty. Ya'll are up front with me and treat me right so I do the same for all of you.

Thanks for asking! Back to the shop ........... :-D

Leanna,
Can you give a roundabout cost to what the complete cost would be on this project, powdercoating-wise? I am building a metric chopper, and part of me want to have it PC, and part say to paint it.

With the way this turned out, I would love to crate up the parts and have you guys PC everything...cost dependant of course.

That sucker is looking great! I had a couple of XR200s and they are, in my opinion, the best 'get you to the fishing hole in the mountains' dirt bike made. Wish mine would have looked that nice though....
He won't dare ride it!

Awesome job I see a lot of cool bikes being a dealer but we don't usually see this much attention to detail in a dirt bike like this I think this thing is great you do awesome work.

Great job.

Leanna,
Can you give a roundabout cost to what the complete cost would be on this project, powdercoating-wise? I am building a metric chopper, and part of me want to have it PC, and part say to paint it.

With the way this turned out, I would love to crate up the parts and have you guys PC everything...cost dependant of course.

I quote every job individually to be fair to everyone. If you could forward some good pics of the bike / parts (if it's already torn down) and an idea of what you have in mind for colors, I'll do my best to give you a complete quote for everything.

Thanks for all the feedback and kind words ya'll. :-D

Great looking job you two are doing on the bike!
Any one concidering sending parts to leanna, the parts she did for me on a scale of 1 through 10 I would give an 11!

Leanna,

Thank You for the detailed explanation! My computer screen sucks and I really couldn't see inside the nuts.

Looks like you do fabulous work, maybe someday when I get back to a project I will look you up.

After having another look at the background in those pictures up there the other night, it was time for a couple changes. Saturday afternoon was spent in the shop but I had a paint brush in my hand instead of a gun.

View attachment IMG_3714.jpg

View attachment IMG_3710.jpg

View attachment IMG_3711.jpg

I can hear it now. "What's that sign say?"

View attachment IMG_3751.jpg

While waiting for Katie to get there on Sunday, Billy wheeled the bike outside in the sun. You'll note some of the old paint / decals have been scraped off the tank now (my hand cramped up before I could finish lol).

View attachment IMG_3663.jpg

View attachment IMG_3664.jpg

View attachment IMG_3665.jpg

View attachment IMG_3666.jpg

Our friend Trish, James' wife, watching the kite (it was wayyyyy windy)

View attachment IMG_3668.jpg

Oops

View attachment IMG_3658.jpg

Ever since the bike started going back together James, Trish and I have been giving him a bad time about that orange spring. Pretty much every chance we get.

:-D :-\" :poke: :axe: :violent1:

It looks goofy right there in the middle of all that blue, silver and black and it sticks out like a sore thumb -- you can't miss the damn thing. I know none of you guys did.

"It's not going to show. ... Well, not that much of it shows."

It's gotten to be a running joke the last few days.

Billy: "Hey James, those new Tag-5s came in! You gotta go out to the shop and see 'em."

Me: "Oh yeah, they're cool! Already coated a nice gun metal gray ... nice and shiny. They look good with the rest of the bike too."

Without missing a beat, James says "How they look with that spring?"

He didn't want to take it apart, plain and simple. But when some new bearing kit showed up and had the shock bushings too, I guess he decided to give in to the peer pressure. This was tonight's project. Grab your shades first.

View attachment IMG_3743.jpg

View attachment IMG_3744.jpg

The new $22 ebay score Tag-5s now installed too ...

View attachment IMG_3747.jpg

View attachment IMG_3749.jpg

I got the spring / perches / lockers all blasted and propped it up there to see what color it should be. (I'm sure there's technical terms for all of this stuff but I'm a motorhead, not a biker chick. I'm learning. :-D)

View attachment IMG_3746.jpg

The decision was unanimous, a perfect balance on the bike. I didn't get any 'after' pictures of it yet because it's still cooling off ... probably tomorrow. :-D

The only thing about painting a plastic tank is that the paint may bubble once fuel is in the tank. Been there.

I have one of those too but i hope yours ends up the same color as mine......10year old mud color. Do your self a favor and make sure you replace the clutch plates so you came get a bit more out of that heavy underpowered bike.

Setting the shock preload ...

View attachment IMG_3791.jpg

View attachment IMG_3793.jpg

View attachment IMG_3794.jpg

I took these to show how durable powder is versus paint. Using his BFH and a drift, he pounded on the adjusters for a good five minutes until they were where they needed to be. Only one little ding in the black -- the chrome powder wasn't even scratched.

View attachment IMG_3792.jpg

View attachment IMG_3795.jpg

And this is where we wrapped it up last night. Well, actually it was this morning. Very early this morning ......

View attachment IMG_3797.jpg

View attachment IMG_3798.jpg

View attachment IMG_3799.jpg

And that's how ya do that. :-D

Attachments

• IMG_3796.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 601
When does this go up for auction ? =P~:-D

You want to be the first bidder??? :-D

I would if I could but I cain't so I ain't :-D I would have to keep it under lock and key just to keep Creed and Mike Jr. off of it :toothy10:
Plus my wife and Dr. would have a fit :angry7::angry7:
That would be a great peace of fresh air for me foresure =P~
You and Billy really did a great job on a great bike :cheers:

BlueGreen :)

Thanks Mike! If I was rich everybody on FABO would have their own. LOL

It's been a fun, cool project for sure! I hope to be posting a video of the first fire-up soon (I hope I can make it work ... I know my camera will take them for 30 seconds or so lol -- just gotta figure out how).

CudaChick,
Nice log for the rebirth !!
I had a tendency to hurt myself on a dirt bike so in 1970 I vowed to stay off them.

Here is a short pictorial of the rebirth of my 72 Kaw 500 3 cyl 2 stroke.
I bought in new in 72, drag (and street) raced it for till 76 and sold it to a friend in 76.
In 1978 he tore it down to rebuild it but fate intervened (Married With Children) and I got it back in pieces in 2005.
I think he had dipped the frame in POR15 about 10 times. My son had to actually scrape it off with a razor blade.

1972CoffeeTableBike.jpg

Frame and engine done
1972DinnerTable-1.jpg

Ring Ding Ding
1972-13.jpg

Just about ready to test fire after 27 years!

1972-21.jpg

Finished.
DiningRoomBike.jpg

Among Friends
DealsGap-2.jpg

Back Home After 31 Years.
David-KawSnow-Feb1973.jpg

BackHome-31YrsLater.jpg

It RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D Let me see if I can get Trish's video to work here ........

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/PhoenixSpecialtyCoatings/?action=view&current=102_0873.mp4

This was before the final adjustments were made. I had to laugh at Billy when he came back up to the shop. "It's still a dog! This thing should have tons of power!"

Uhhhhhhh honey, the choke is still on. :-D

After a few minutes of tweaking, that sucker fires right up and runs very strong. The exhaust is non-existent and the wheelies wouldn't stop. He was so excited to try it he didn't even take time to dig out his helmet. :dink:

This is our first mutual project since opening the shop in 2007 ... I'm very jazzed at how it turned out.

Okay, time to sell it and buy another one now. Who wants this POS???? :-D

Cool Bike... I love your sales pitch>>>

Okay, time to sell it and buy another one now. Who wants this POS????

I'm guessin' it doesn't come with a warranty??

-
Back