CudaChick's Dirt Bike Thread -- '90 Honda XR200

-
Nice job bringing that thing back.

I've been watched this thread only because I have a little bit of interest in it myself. I've been racing motocross for about 9 years and am finally getting back into Mopars.

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/4521150"]Holeshot on Vimeo[/ame]

If you ride it to Phx I'll buy it and you can use the money for a bus/plane ride.

Hmmmmmm, tempting ... long ride on back roads though, and that 2.5 gallon tank would suck in the desert. :-D

Cool Bike... I love your sales pitch>>>

Okay, time to sell it and buy another one now. Who wants this POS????

I'm guessin' it doesn't come with a warranty??

Of course it does Paul! The classic Tail Light Warranty ... as soon as Billy can't see your tail lights anymore, the warranty is up. :-D

Nice job bringing that thing back.

I've been watched this thread only because I have a little bit of interest in it myself. I've been racing motocross for about 9 years and am finally getting back into Mopars.

Holeshot on Vimeo

Thanks for following along and for the compliment T-Fish! Very cool video you posted (steadiest helmet cam I've ever seen) ... thanks for sharing.

It dawned on me I never posted anything about the motor. I wanted to coat the jugs in Super Chrome with Blue Odyssey leading edges but was denied LOL -- he had it back together the night the parts were back from the machine shop.

View attachment IMG_3256.jpg

View attachment IMG_3257.jpg

View attachment IMG_3258.jpg

View attachment IMG_3259.jpg

View attachment IMG_3262.jpg

Anyway, it's a 200 cc with a .075 bore (now about a 248 I'd guess?), he ported and polished the head, did a 3 angle valve job, ground the valves, and installed new seals and gaskets.

All new:

piston/rings
suspension bushings/bearings
shock bushings/bearings
new wheel bearings
tires
brake shoes
air filter
cables (except compression release)
fork boots
Tag-5 handle bars
ProGrip P790 grips -- very cushy

It will pull a wheelie in 5th gear with a 280+ lb. rider! It's too tall for me at the moment so I haven't ridden it yet. (With the compression it's got coupled with the fact it's been 25 years since I rode a dirt bike, I have trouble even kicking it over to start it. He told me "You don't have enough ***" yesterday LOL)

So summing up in 2 pictures ... from this

View attachment IMG_3141.jpg

to this

View attachment IMG_3798.jpg

Looking at it last night while working late, it occurred to me it felt a few times like I was working for Paul Sr. at Orange County Choppers. "You got those parts coated yet???" :poke:

Thanks for looking guys!

Oh, here's a P.S. He decided not to cut into the new hand grips to reinstall the bark busters on the handlebars. They're already coated in Silver Glaze and available if anybody needs a pair, or will go with the bike if it sells.

So I guess if I bought it I'd have to leave it at y'all's place and just come down and ride it in your yard not to void the warranty.. I'll have to think on that one.. I'll get back with ya on it... :toothy7:

Class Work.
When are you going to do the Ford tracton that was in the background? Do the tractor and the men at you local Hardees will beat you door down. I can see a older West Tennessee farmer coming up too you and ask you to do his John Deer to keep up his image.

Thanks Whip!!! :-D

Actually antique tractors are something Billy has really gotten into since we moved here almost five years ago and he bought Nellie, the 1964 Ford 2000 series 4-cylinder you kind of see in some of the bike pictures. As you probably know being from Tennessee, there's not much in the way of muscle car restorations out here on the west side in farm country as he did in South Louisiana for 30+ years so it was kind of a natural transition. But it's just like everything else since we moved here. He's technically disabled, and I'm just too slow and detail-oriented to make much money at what I do so it's tough to finance ANY projects to completion. I'm actually shocked the bike got done so fast ... thankfully it didn't need much and they're a lot cheaper to work on than an A Body, an Astre, a nostalgia altered, or a D150 shop truck LOL.

Wow I sure got off track there. Back to the tractor. The battery box, alternator, a couple parts off the carburetor, and the custom cup holder -- an old tin can :-D -- have already been coated in old Ford Blue but the alternator's chrome lol. It was converted to a 12 volt setup a long time ago and he considered putting AutoMeters on it for awhile but for now that's about all that's been done to it. He takes it for a joyride over the 5 1/2 acre spread quite a bit but usually uses it for the bush hog and sickle mower. He's getting quite the reputation as the old tractor mechanic around here and has worked on three in the last few months. His first customer, a beautician with a '53 International 240 Utility -- very sweet but badly neglected, inherited from her father -- had him do almost a full restoration on it and, judging by the ones who've shown up since, I'd have to guess she's been talking him up to the wives while doing their hair ever since.

Thanks for noticing Nellie. He's quite proud of her. :-D

So I guess if I bought it I'd have to leave it at y'all's place and just come down and ride it in your yard not to void the warranty.. I'll have to think on that one.. I'll get back with ya on it... :toothy7:

LOL Paul! Don't know how I missed this one. You can come by anytime to get your dirt bike fix ... with or without a warranty. I'd love to have ya. :-D

I'll tell you what.. I'll swap you even for a beautiful Mitsubishi Starion (Chrysler Conquest in disguise, so it's a mopar) even. I might even deliver it for you so I can check out your operation. Oh.. did I mention it had a really loud ticking of some sorts...

Seriously though. Really nice work as always.

Uh huh, you wanna trade your Super Budget Build with the active time bomb in the trunk ... LOL!!!

Love ya BJ! Haven't talked to you in awhile and hope all is well. Thanks for the compliments!

Uh huh, you wanna trade your Super Budget Build with the active time bomb in the trunk ... LOL!!!

Love ya BJ! Haven't talked to you in awhile and hope all is well. Thanks for the compliments!

Sure why not? I figured it was worth a shot anyway.

Well most everything is good, my duster blew a head gasket though.. so I'm gathering parts to make it come back meaner. But then, this school habit of mine is sucking up my spare change so that is going slow.

so thats a four stroke engine on a bike?:scratch:

i was under the impression that all bike motors are two stroke. or like 99% of them

special regarts for Leanna

l.jpg

i was under the impression that all bike motors are two stroke. or like 99% of them

That used to be the case until Yamaha released the YZ400f back in 1998. That turned into a YZ426f in 2000, and then into a YZ450f in 2003. From that point on, the other manufacturers caught on and eventually released their own competitive four stroke bikes. Keep in mind that I'm mostly referring to motocross, but for the most part, the whole off-road community is now dominated by four strokes. As far as two strokes go, out of the "Big Five" (Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and KTM), only two of them release two stroke bikes to the US, with those being Yamaha and KTM.

The old 125cc classes from yesteryear are now dominated by 250cc four strokes and the old 250cc classes are now dominated by 450cc four strokes. They gave the four strokes a very unfair (especially now that the technology keeps getting better) advantage regarding engine displacements. The old 125cc two stroke isn't even close to being competitive against the 250cc four strokes they have to run up against and one hasn't been ran professionally in a close to five years. Every once in a great while, there will be a local pro trying to qualify for a Pro National on a 250 two stroke in the 450 class, but it's been a few years since one of those guys have qualified.

Ok, rant over. Carry on!

l.jpg

Oh my gosh Uli, that looks AWESOME!!! I figured my decal was stuck to a wall in your shop or something -- glad you're using it (and looking forward to my first German customer some day lol)!

They probably didn't do this in Germany, but motorheads in the U.S. back in the day used to paint "A M F" on the rear valance. It stood for something I can't repeat here in any ladylike fashion, but the first letter meant "Adios" ['goodbye' in Spanish] ... the other two you can probably figure out. :toothy5: It's not likely my shop decal will instill any fear in the driver of the car behind it but it might get a few website hits. :-D

That used to be the case until Yamaha released the YZ400f back in 1998. That turned into a YZ426f in 2000, and then into a YZ450f in 2003. From that point on, the other manufacturers caught on and eventually released their own competitive four stroke bikes. Keep in mind that I'm mostly referring to motocross, but for the most part, the whole off-road community is now dominated by four strokes. As far as two strokes go, out of the "Big Five" (Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and KTM), only two of them release two stroke bikes to the US, with those being Yamaha and KTM.

The old 125cc classes from yesteryear are now dominated by 250cc four strokes and the old 250cc classes are now dominated by 450cc four strokes. They gave the four strokes a very unfair (especially now that the technology keeps getting better) advantage regarding engine displacements. The old 125cc two stroke isn't even close to being competitive against the 250cc four strokes they have to run up against and one hasn't been ran professionally in a close to five years. Every once in a great while, there will be a local pro trying to qualify for a Pro National on a 250 two stroke in the 450 class, but it's been a few years since one of those guys have qualified.

Ok, rant over. Carry on!

That wasn't a rant, that was like going to bike school for a minute! What an interesting history ... I'm glad you found this thread T-Fish. Your experience in the motocross world has shed some great light here and I'm happy you aren't being shy with sharing it. I've learned a lot working up this little bike but have a lonnnnnnggg way to go still. :-D

l.jpg

Oh my gosh Uli, that looks AWESOME!!! I figured my decal was stuck to a wall in your shop or something -- glad you're using it (and looking forward to my first German customer some day lol)!

They probably didn't do this in Germany, but motorheads in the U.S. back in the day used to paint "A M F" on the rear valance. It stood for something I can't repeat here in any ladylike fashion, but the first letter meant "Adios" ['goodbye' in Spanish] ... the other two you can probably figure out. :toothy5: It's not likely my shop decal will instill any fear in the driver of the car behind it but it might get a few website hits. :-D

Ok, rant over. Carry on!

That wasn't a rant, that was like going to bike school for a minute! What an interesting history ... I'm glad you found this thread T-Fish. Your experience in the motocross world has shed some great light here and I'm happy you aren't being shy with sharing it. I've learned a lot working up this little bike but have a lonnnnnnggg way to go still. :-D

T-fish you sure have a handle on your bikes maybe I need to hire you as a Motorcross guru for for my shop. Most of my guys don't know all that history, I wish they did.

T-fish you sure have a handle on your bikes maybe I need to hire you as a Motorcross guru for for my shop. Most of my guys don't know all that history, I wish they did.

Where do I sign? I'm ready to move!

The Honda XR's have always been four strokes going back to the 70's.

Looks like a fun build.

One of Billy's motor customers came by on Thursday to drop off his four-wheeler. Billy took him into the basement where he saw the Honda. The next morning the kid was back with a cash offer that couldn't be refused ... it has a nice new happy home now. :-D

Congrats to Dakota on the new toy! Hope you love it and get many years of enjoyment out of it. It was sure a fun project to work up.

Now I gotta find another one to do. :-D This time it's going to be a little shorter so I can actually ride it.

:thumleft: XR200 was/ is one of my all time favorites. I used to have one, sold it to buy a worked XR 250. I hated that bike & sold it. Went back to my old YamahaXT 200 & loved it. I'd like to pick up another XR 200 again if I could. They're a lot of fun & a good bike to just thrash around the trails on.
Very cool rebuild here Leanna! It's nice to see the older dirt bikes getting some love. You do nice work!

One of Billy's motor customers came by on Thursday to drop off his four-wheeler. Billy took him into the basement where he saw the Honda. The next morning the kid was back with a cash offer that couldn't be refused ... it has a nice new happy home now. :-D

Congrats to Dakota on the new toy! Hope you love it and get many years of enjoyment out of it. It was sure a fun project to work up.

Now I gotta find another one to do. :-D This time it's going to be a little shorter so I can actually ride it.

So glad it found a home Leanna :glasses7: If I remember right I seen Billy riding it in a video before the restoration started :cheers:
If you need a shorter one and I know you do:glasses7::glasses7: if you are going to ride it :burnout:
Find a old SL125 or 100. Wow, I will never forget this Bike.
Enjoy Dakota :thumleft:

-
Back