curious with a 360

-

ramman7284

Reaction score
ive probably asked this before with a 318. but ive got a 360 insight im curious whats a good setup to help push this thing to right around the 400hp range with doing the least amount of machine work as possible other than whats nesscary. i already have a few parts that id like to use on the engine a mopar m1 intake, holley 600 dp. id like to have a cam that has a nice lope to it id guess id say something alil more than an rv. and id kinda like to keep the iron heads since ive heard horror storied with eddie alumn heads

i have a 727 in the car right now with a low stall converter but the converter can b changed real easy

Well

360 .30 over
Good set of heads J head 2.02 1.60 valve
Headers
Intake RPM performer
750 carb
Good cam some else can chime in on that

Thats around 350hp or so

Now you would go with alum heads for a little more

Sounds like me a little while back, as I'm building mine I've realized the old adage is true.
"Horsepower is not cheap, how fast do you want to go?" 400 horsepower is not a stretch for a 360, but starting out by saying right off the bat that you want to do it cheap isn't going to get you there. It is going to have to be built right, and scimping on machining is not the way to reliable power. Im not putting you down at all, just passing on my endless hours of research trying to build my 360 the same way, 400hp.

I meant in machining as in block work I'm sure ill how to have alot of head machining done done but ya I'd really like to have the engine blue printed for max horse power

400hp?

Something like

KB 107's, 0 deck the block for these (shouldn't be much)
Stock heads, have 2.02/1.60 valves installed on the rebuild with good valve job
Lunati 60403 (new part # is 10200703) 268/276 .494/.513"
Stock rods
Stock crank
headers

M1 is a single plane, an Edelbrock RPM or air gap would probably be better for street driving, more torque

600cfm might be a little small for 400hp, 650-750 would be better.

KB 107's at 0 deck should get you pretty close to 10:1 compression, still on pump gas for iron heads.

Should put you pretty close to 400hp. If you want to spend more money, have the heads cleaned up a little.

Check out these builds for a better ballpark idea of building a 360 and what you get for what you put in..

http://www.mopar1.us/dyno.html

Unless the heads are ported good for strong 100-350 lift #'s, it's not going to make it with a Voodoo 268 or comp XE268h camshaft.

No porting it would need at least a XE285HL or a lunati 60405 IMO to get there.

-
Back