custom GM alt mount

-

wracks71

Reaction score
I know I will pelted with negativety over this,but I got tired of messing with the Chrysler alt and went to a small frame GM 105 amp alt. of course I had to make my own billitt mount for it! it is not done until I get it anodized but here it is.

View attachment 0808141912.jpg

View attachment 0813141354.jpg

I counterbored the holes for 3/8 bolts and washers and made some stainless standoffs to go behind it. it is solid!! I will post some more pics when it is done. these may be for sale if anyone is interested.

"alternator".... "negativity".... Nice pun.... LOL!

Pretty great. You made that mount or? what about the pulleys? A kit? Is that a factory fan on that alternator?

You must run lots of rpms to keep that water pmp and alt doing their job with all that underdrive stuff.

Any more pics from different angles? What model alt is it? What are they typically found on? Friggin GM alts have been on lots of my mopars. I like them bc they charge well at low rpm.

Pretty great. You made that mount or? what about the pulleys? A kit? Is that a factory fan on that alternator?

You must run lots of rpms to keep that water pmp and alt doing their job with all that underdrive stuff.

Any more pics from different angles? What model alt is it? What are they typically found on? Friggin GM alts have been on lots of my mopars. I like them bc they charge well at low rpm.

I made it. KRC pulleys. factory alt fan. I kept burning up the mopar alt with the rpms. this one is off a 92-93 olds cutlass. $58 on rock auto brand new!

I'd be interested in a price on one of those brackets. I too am tired of MoPar alternators. PK me with info.

if you do start selling them pm me with price and info

ok fellas. let me get mine done and mounted and I will work something out. more pics to come.

Man that looks great! Wish I had some of those fab skills. I did the same thing with the GM alt swap. Had access to a Powermaster 105 amp but couldn't mount the alternator on the pass side due to the electric water pump. With the factory water pump wouldn't have been so much of an issue. So the builder made a mount on the driver's side. I would imagine that there will be lots of interest in your mount if you start fabbing them. Well done!

Thats a nice looking set up, I did the same conversion on my 68 r/t with a 505".I wanted the extra amps for the efi and pump and ignition system.I used the stock brackets and modified the spacers though.I installed the unit so the smaller bolt became the adjuster.I used a gm chrome dress up vbelt pulley and all was good.Never failed.One word of caution,run a separate feed to the battery/power post at starter relay.you don't want to over power the dash. Wiring that alt is easy , just had to remove the fact regulator connect the ignition and field wire and change the alt end to the gm one wire "trigger" plug (standard products).I plan on trying the same on the efi 408 I'm building.

Attachments

• 68 5-11-11 027.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 604
Thats a nice looking set up, I did the same conversion on my 68 r/t with a 505".I wanted the extra amps for the efi and pump and ignition system.I used the stock brackets and modified the spacers though.I installed the unit so the smaller bolt became the adjuster.I used a gm chrome dress up vbelt pulley and all was good.Never failed.One word of caution,run a separate feed to the battery/power post at starter relay.you don't want to over power the dash. Wiring that alt is easy , just had to remove the fact regulator connect the ignition and field wire and change the alt end to the gm one wire "trigger" plug (standard products).I plan on trying the same on the efi 408 I'm building.

thanks! and thanks for the heads up on the wiring!

(thanks! and thanks for the heads up on the wiring! )

no problem, isn't that what this is for? I did the conversion as neat as possible using as much of the OE style (year one) harness as possible.If you look close you can see the 8ga. wire from the alt.at the starter relay power post (black cable coming from pass side).from there the power goes straight back to the battery , effectively bypassing the amp meter.it would show a discharge but never showed over charge. I used the empty v-reg space for the ign,amplifier (edelbrock pro-tuner).I did this back in 2003 before the efi when it had dual electric fans and cdi ignition (mopar) and never looked back. its a great inexpensive upgrade. good luck with the mounts

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_0168.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 523
Like the mount.

Looks to be the same mounting pattern as my 12si. I did a simple mount.
100_0412.jpg

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=154078

so I remembered to take the alt and the belt to the shop with me today,so I got everything mounted up. got the p/s bled and fired her up for a minute to make sure it was all good. and it is!! I just have wire the alt up and get the mount black anodized to match everything else. I remounted the p/s cooler as well because in order to make Musclecar of the Year last year I kinda threw it in there.
if I make anymore I am going to shorten it about an inch to bring it closer to the water pump.
View attachment 0819141409.jpg

View attachment 0819141601.jpg

That bracket looks great.

Just an fyi tho for a small block, you can use stock mounts and a 105amp CS130 alternator from a 1994 V6(3.4) camaro/firebird. Its actually scary how well it fits. I'm in the process of wiring up the last few wires before i can fire it up. You just have to swap for a v-belt pulley.

That bracket looks great.

Just an fyi tho for a small block, you can use stock mounts and a 105amp CS130 alternator from a 1994 V6(3.4) camaro/firebird. Its actually scary how well it fits. I'm in the process of wiring up the last few wires before i can fire it up. You just have to swap for a v-belt pulley.

that is good to know. after the fact! lol! i was converting everything to these belts anyhow,the v belts suck autocrossing.

that is good to know. after the fact! lol! i was converting everything to these belts anyhow,the v belts suck autocrossing.

So you were throwing v-belts during autocross??

just an fyi for anyone who wants to see the alternator mounted w/ stock brackets. Mind the washers, i had to use some hardware store bolts and couldn't find the exact size for the mopar brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 469

just an fyi for anyone who wants to see the alternator mounted w/ stock brackets. Mind the washers, i had to use some hardware store bolts and couldn't find the exact size for the mopar brackets.

just for the record,that is a different alternator.

just for the record,that is a different alternator.

Sort of. performance & guts wise its the same CS130 as yours, but there are 3 different case styles for that alternator. The 180* mounts style like yours, the one like mine with the right side mount, and a left side mount.

looks like you are using a/c pulleys.. its atleast a a/c wp pulley.

usually the belts would go wp,alt,crank. then the ps belt would go crank to ps pump and thats it..

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,033
From what I can see, it appears that the OP's bracket (post #22) attaches only at the 2 long bolts thru the water pump. I don't see a 3rd bolt to the head, like the factory brackets and all others shown here. I would expect the alternator mount to be springy in the sideways direction. At a certain rpm, it might start oscillating and perhaps eventually break the bolts from fatigue.

-
Back