Custom made Billet Aluminum Timing chain cover & Motor Mount combo

-

76orangewagon

Reaction score
I thought I would post the pictures of the Billet Aluminum Timing chain cover and motor mount combo I just made. I still have some minor machining work to do on it, once complete the motor mount ears will be flush with the block cover. I really don't like the way the Edelbrock RPM head overhang the block so thats why I decided to add .875" on the sides to make everything flush when viewing the block. I will be adding mounts for the alternator and Saginaw power steering TCII pump low so I don't block the view of the engine once complete. I also need to make mounting Tabs that connect the bushed mounting ears to the HemiDenny K, once that is complete I will eliminate all the "modified" factory motor mounts that are in the pictures keeping the mounting location locked in till I'm done with mock up, giving me tons of room for my headers and power steering.

Attachments

• duster 001.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 732
  • duster 007.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 557
  • duster 009.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 566
  • duster 012.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 554
  • duster 016.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 548
  • duster 017.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 533
  • duster 019.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 566
you must have a fortune in aluminum plate. LOL

I had a 14"x24"x3" chunk of 6061 T-6 Aluminum I bought 10 years ago for a project that never got off the ground.....so it was finally used for a good purpose. Now when I buy the aluminum for the billet valve covers I plan on carving out of solid stock that will be a different story. I have another billet timing cover for sale in the Mechanical section, I plan on using the money from that for valve cover material.

Not a fan of the billet look, but you do some impressive work.

Not a fan of the billet look, but you do some impressive work.

I'm gonna but some type of coating on everything once I'm done, theres no way I'm gonna polish all this stuff. Either anodizing or powder coating...maybe a nice Titanium color

Thanks for the comments...Today I notched the inset the motor mount arms and adjusted some of the gaps and angles, Now everything lines up nice. I need to get the Billet-Tech alternator and aluminum KRC P/S pump so I can figure out a low but cool way to mount them. Tomorrow I will machine in the bolt holes that hold everything together and install the steel inserts into the back plate to add strength for the bolts

Attachments

• duster 037.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 367
  • duster 036.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 397
  • duster 031.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 364
  • duster 030.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 388
  • duster 029.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 403
Whip up an adjustable timing pointer for a small block with a motor plate and I will bear your love child. LOL
Very nice work indeed.
Do you have plans for a timing tab or pointer ?
If I want one , it looks like I will have to modify a SB Chev or Ford piece.
I have been looking for a while with no luck.= so if you have something in the works , make two. At least two.

That thing is so damn "fancy" it doesn't even look like a Mopar anymore, LOL

i really like the out of the box thinking on this! you could take it one step farther and make the "cover" come off for quick cam timing changes.

only other thing is what is your offset on the motor?

Whip up an adjustable timing pointer for a small block with a motor plate and I will bear your love child. LOL
Very nice work indeed.
Do you have plans for a timing tab or pointer ?
If I want one , it looks like I will have to modify a SB Chev or Ford piece.
I have been looking for a while with no luck.= so if you have something in the works , make two. At least two.

Already got that accomplished...I took one like in the picture and just used the black pointer part not the aluminum bracket. If you look close at the front of the cover you see two holes that are where the pointer will go, it will still be adjustable like before, I dont want to drill and tap the holes yet in case I need to move it for some reason. The holes are in the exact location as the one I used as an example...I just hope nobody notices it's off a Chevy engine...

Attachments

• 555-51260.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 300
That thing is so damn "fancy" it doesn't even look like a Mopar anymore, LOL

That's why I decided to square off the timing cover instead of the traditional Small Block shaped one...once complete I'm hope people will stare at it and wonder what the heck motor it is. I can just hear the stories now...someone will be telling there grandson "I had a motor just like that back in 1970 something in my brand X car"..And wait till I tell them it's a 416 C.I.D, they'll ask "Who makes that" ? I'm refering to general car shows here, obviously not Mopar specific one's.

i really like the out of the box thinking on this! you could take it one step farther and make the "cover" come off for quick cam timing changes.

only other thing is what is your offset on the motor?

I considered a Cam cover but optioned not to do it, I have never had to pull a cam in the car before and hopefully don't have to start on this project....so It got scratched from the idea.

I believe my offset is 2" but my motor is also raised in the HemiDenny K frame almost 1" for ground clearance....yea, the car sits real low
attachment.php

Attachments

• duster%20036.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 296
  • duster%20017.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 298
Already got that accomplished...I took one like in the picture and just used the black pointer part not the aluminum bracket. If you look close at the front of the cover you see two holes that are where the pointer will go, it will still be adjustable like before, I dont want to drill and tap the holes yet in case I need to move it for some reason. The holes are in the exact location as the one I used as an example...I just hope nobody notices it's off a Chevy engine...

O.K. , I saw the holes and figured you had something up your sleeve.
I am going to steal your idea , and probably take credit for it too.
Unless someone noticed that it is a Chev piece. LOLOL

Thanks a bunch !

-
Back