Custom Trunk kit

-

newby

Reaction score
Custom trunk kit I did up for a 65 Valiant.

Attachments

• IMG_20150511_164519577.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20150511_165636001.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_20150513_122931347.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_20150513_141952281.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20150513_143633142.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_20150513_192603873.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 319
I like it, nice work . Stuffed dolls: caricatures of Carrot Top & Pam Anderson ?(Sorry, couldn't resist...).

Beautiful!!! Any chance of you doin a detailed write up on it with in progress pics?

Beautiful!!! Any chance of you doin a detailed write up on it with in progress pics?
The process is pretty simple.
Patience and lots of it. Seriously template everything, I just use plain old cardboard. Then cut 1/2" cabinet grade plywood cutting all pieces as snug fitting as possible.
The plywood is wrapped in a material called soft and sable, I purchased at a local fabric store. It is applied with a high quality spray adhesive.
The toughest piece is the floor of he trunk, it's what everything references off of. A trick I found was use spray foam under this once you have the piece cut. You only need to put it where there is cavities or to help with making the floor parallel with the trunk rail and as close to the same in height from side to side,(just makes it easier for templating.
Here's a picture of a kit laid out on the floor for my 68 GTS.
Every car is different and they all have there challenges. But what a difference it makes in the end. Cheers Bob

Attachments

• 085.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 303
  • 084.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 302
  • 043.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 042.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 041.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 309
The process is pretty simple.
Patience and lots of it. Seriously template everything, I just use plain old cardboard. Then cut 1/2" cabinet grade plywood cutting all pieces as snug fitting as possible.
The plywood is wrapped in a material called soft and sable, I purchased at a local fabric store. It is applied with a high quality spray adhesive.
The toughest piece is the floor of he trunk, it's what everything references off of. A trick I found was use spray foam under this once you have the piece cut. You only need to put it where there is cavities or to help with making the floor parallel with the trunk rail and as close to the same in height from side to side,(just makes it easier for templating.
Here's a picture of a kit laid out on the floor for my 68 GTS.
Every car is different and they all have there challenges. But what a difference it makes in the end. Cheers Bob
AWESOME looking trunk kit. I like it a lot.
I did it a little differently by using 1/4 luan to get my shapes and left the trunk bottom stock since I wanted to put in a temporary tire from a later model car
I still need to get extra carpet that is the same as the interior and have it surged on the edges to look like a stock carpet pad and superglue and velcro was my friend gluing the panels together for the trunk latch piece:D
View attachment DSCF3555.jpg

View attachment DSCF3535.jpg

View attachment DSCF3536.jpg

View attachment DSCF3585.jpg

View attachment DSCF3578.jpg

View attachment DSCF3576.jpg

View attachment DSCF3579.jpg

Man, that is one awesome looking trunk kit...Nice job!!

Now all I gotta do is get an A-body to put one in :D

You two gave me some great ideas! That is definitely going in my 66! MT

Looks great but for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would want their trunk to look like anything other than how Chrysler finished it.

Looks great but for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would want their trunk to look like anything other than how Chrysler finished it.

That's what makes this Hobby so GREAT, "DARE TO BE DIFFERENT" ! If all hot rodders did the same thing, it would be a boring hobby !

There is one other big bonus to these kits.
When you're out crus'in around and the urge strikes to do a little show-boating that lawn chair you forgot about from the car show doesn't end up leaving a permanent mark in your quarter panel.

AWESOME looking trunk kit. I like it a lot.
I did it a little differently by using 1/4 luan to get my shapes and left the trunk bottom stock since I wanted to put in a temporary tire from a later model car
I still need to get extra carpet that is the same as the interior and have it surged on the edges to look like a stock carpet pad and superglue and velcro was my friend gluing the panels together for the trunk latch piece:D
View attachment 1714815695

View attachment 1714815696

View attachment 1714815697

View attachment 1714815698

View attachment 1714815699

View attachment 1714815702
Right on looks great.
See guys nothing to it, bit of wood ,little glue, some fabric and presto change-o you got a fancy *** trunk.

Are the pieces just sitting in there or are they held in by something?
The ones I have done for people are all friction fit. I have not had to fasten anything to a car yet. A couple of the pieces are velcro'd to each other where needed. The material I use is almost like neoprene so squishes in tight without fasteners.

-
Back