Cylinder has spark but not firing..

-
Eight pages and no relief in sight for a simple misfire. How about the cylinders in question are sucking air between the intake stems and guides. That'll keep ya busy for a while.

I thing thats a good idea!!! pull all 8 plug out and stab then through a card board box, in order of the way they came out. and then take a pic or a couple of pic's of them.

They sure don't look oily to me, a little rich maybe but looks like its firing.

the ohm reading look ok but some one mentioned that the wire could be rubbing some were. Thats a A Good Idea! give them a good look.

That list looks good. you need to keep going back to it, it will remind you what still need to be checked.

lets see all them plugs:coffee2:

No I'm not using the tin intake gaskets I have composite in it. Those plugs are out of the motor from when I first got the car. I did have new ones in thinking they were bad so I found 2 plugs just to put in to see If it made a difference. This carb is an old Holley that came off a 427 motor. I looked up the number on the choke horn and it's a 4815 list. Actually, I re looked it up its a 780. It is rebuilt. I rebuilt it with a friend a while ago. I had it on my 318 on the previous car and it worked fine. I could tune both sides and throttle response was great. Now the only issue I'm having is I can't tune 1 side of it. You screw the needle down all the way and it doesn't do anything.

I thing thats a good idea!!! pull all 8 plug out and stab then through a card board box, in order of the way they came out. and then take a pic or a couple of pic's of them.

They sure don't look oily to me, a little rich maybe but looks like its firing.

the ohm reading look ok but some one mentioned that the wire could be rubbing some were. Thats a A Good Idea! give them a good look.

That list looks good. you need to keep going back to it, it will remind you what still need to be checked.

lets see all them plugs:coffee2:

Alright I'll shoot some pics after work tonight!

Heres all 8. Im anxious so i did it this morning before work lol.

Attachments

• All 8 cylinder plugs.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 237
kinda hard to tell from the pic, are all the plugs gaped 0.35? you said you can't tune the carb, do you have a known good one you could use? also I'd ditch the points and drop a electronic dist. in, because it looks like your getting more fuel then spark.

HOLY CRAP, now it's even more confusing.
From the plugs picture it looks like cyl 1&4 would be the ones missing, and the other cylinders running too rich.
There seems no rhyme or reason to the lean and rich mix of the plugs.

If it was a booster leak, then why is number 1 lean?
If an intake leak, then why 1&4 ?

Maybe it is the intake cracked.

You checked for tennis balls in the runners right? :-D

kinda hard to tell from the pic, are all the plugs gaped 0.35? do you have a known good one you could use? also I'd ditch the points and drop a electronic dist. in, because it looks like your getting more fuel then spark.
Yes i made sure theyre all gapped to .035. Unfortunately, i dont have another holley style carburetor to test out. I did try putting electronic in, but it didnt work. I am using old parts to convert to electronic so i think something may be bad. I followed very closely the directions on how to convert. I even had a relative come over who does electrical work for a trade.

If it was a booster leak, then why is number 1 lean?
If an intake leak, then why 1&4 ?

Maybe it is the intake cracked.

You checked for tennis balls in the runners right? :-D
Yep i definitely checked. Whats ironic is with the original 273 there were big pecans in the intake runners. Not even kidding. :cheers:

Open the points.... doesn't matter measurement,, just open them a few thou..

2184 3657
Ok i will try this. What will opening the points do?

It will elimnate a worn or bent dist shaft,, leaving the pts gap on one side of the distributor insufficient,, perhaps cyls 2184

are you timing on the proper cylinder bank? if the plugs came out as they are placed on cardboard, you are not.

Are you ONE HUNDRED PERCENT SURE that you don't have the cylinders confused? It does look like 1 and 4 are the ones skipping? Just asking. It's happened before.

Heres all 8. Im anxious so i did it this morning before work lol.

Just to make certain this is not confused, because your photo confuses me as to where you placed the plugs/numbers (unless that board is upside down),

Here's a photo that shows the proper cylinder numbering.

Attachments

• CylinderNumbers.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 218
Look at this pic,, that was posted before (post 111, cudafever I believe),, is your #1 cylinder in the same position,, and do the wires follow a similar path in the SAME order??

attachment.php

Look at this pic,, that was posted before (post 111, cudafever I believe),, is your #1 cylinder in the same position,, and do the wires follow a similar path in the SAME order??

attachment.php
I am 10000000% sure that i agree with this picture lol. #2 and #8 have a misfire. All wires go to this chart. This is the same image i actually use every time i replace wires just to be on the safe side. Ill try opening the gap slightly tonight after work and i will post my outcome. What should i be looking for when i do that? What should the motor do?

are you timing on the proper cylinder bank? if the plugs came out as they are placed on cardboard, you are not.
After each plug was removed, i immediately put them in the cardboard and wrote what cylinder it came out of. Im not too sure what you mean by timing on the proper cylinder bank?

But look at your piece of cardboard above. You clearly have it marked backwards.

Yea usually you would go left to right I realize that but I did pull them out and put them in from right to left that's correct. And yes that's the plan is making the cylinder work lol I still don't understand what you're trying to say...

Here's what I found the other day... http://www.ehow.com/list_7421966_signs-cracked-intake-manifold.html#page=1

The very first symptom is this. "If your vehicle's intake manifold is cracked, it will affect the air and fuel mixture in the engine and disrupt the normal combustion process. The engine may miss, hesitate, stall or just generally seem to run poorly if your car has a cracked intake manifold."

I'm still going to try everything I HAVENT tried this weekend and see what I come up with

What is your initial timing set at? What is your total timing set at and at what RPM did you check it?

-
Back