Cylinder has spark but not firing..

-
are you timing on the proper cylinder bank? if the plugs came out as they are placed on cardboard, you are not.

Oh wait sorry. THIS is what I don't understand. Yea by opening the points a little all the cylinders may start working got it :coffee2:

I still don't understand what you're trying to say...

Dude.......... look at these. You're cardboard lay out is completely opposite of what the engine banks actually are. Confusing to understand.

Attachments

• SB firing order.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 296
  • All 8 cylinder plugs.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 286
Yes. The way you have the plugs, Cylinders two and three would be skipping. You see that, right? The plugs don't lie. The two clean ones are the plugs that are skipping.

are you timing on the proper cylinder bank? if the plugs came out as they are placed on cardboard, you are not.

meaning, is #1 plug at front drivers side and #2 on front passenger side.

OOOOOOOHHHHH lol ok now I get what everyone is saying lol. I didn't think about putting them in order on the cardboard I just pulled them out and marked what cylinder it came out of

Duey,
To help us understand what cylinder each of the plugs came from regardless
of the cardboard layout. Which side of the engine did you pull the odd numbered
Plugs from? the left side or right side bank? Because from the pic your #1 and
#4 plugs are not firing unless they are newer than the others

What is your initial timing set at? What is your total timing set at and at what RPM did you check it?

I am not sure. I don't want to run it for too long with it acting the way it is. I did set the timing the best I could but I don't remember what exactly it's set to. I had to make it idle a little higher to keep it running

Duey,
#4 plugs are not firing

Better say passenger or driver side.

Duey,
#4 plugs are not firing

Instead of left or right tell us driver's side or passenger side so there is no confusion.

Lol, got beat on the post again.

from front to rear,
drivers side #1`#3 #5 #7
passenger side #2 #4 #6 #8

Somebody just go help Duey fix his car:cheers:

Try this and it won't cost you a dine.....maybe a valve cover gasket if it gets damaged.
it will only take you 10 minutes and save you a set of intake gasket and a lot more then 10 minutes

loosen the right rear rocker shaft bolt, 1/2 of a turn.
Do the same to the left front rocker shaft bolt.

start it and see if them two cyl come to life. if they do you can buy some rocker pedistal shims and fix the problem or spend the $$ to buy some pushrods that or .020" shorter.

if neither cyl come to life, then take the intake off just to be sure.

Somebody just go help Duey fix his car:cheers:

I wish i could!!

I can't believe some didn't catch this and correct me!!!!!:eek:ops:

If it is not firing on cyl #2 and #8 that means he should have loosend the front and back rocker arm bolt on the same side...... passenger side.

I have done this stuff hundreds of time and know better, guess i have done to many Ferd too :banghead:

I am not sure. I don't want to run it for too long with it acting the way it is. I did set the timing the best I could but I don't remember what exactly it's set to. I had to make it idle a little higher to keep it running

why don't you get your timing set first. Then see if you still have a problem. Do you have headers? If so, check them for temperature after you set your timing to see if you actually have dead cylinders.

Duey,
#4 plugs are not firing unless they are newer than the others

Better say passenger or driver side.

Instead of left or right tell us driver's side or passenger side so there is no confusion.

Lol, got beat on the post again.

Ok driver or passenger side:toothy1:

from front to rear,
drivers side #1`#3 #5 #7
passenger side #2 #4 #6 #8
Gentlemen..... If your looking at the cardboard, the first row closest to you came from the DRIVER side. 1 being in front, meaning closest to the headlights. The back row came from the PASSENGER side. 2 being closest to the headlights lol.

why don't you get your timing set first. Then see if you still have a problem. Do you have headers? If so, check them for temperature after you set your timing to see if you actually have dead cylinders.

No i dont have headers. I got the timing to where the car runs well enough that i can keep it running to try messing with some things. I do have a timing light before anyone asks if i have one lol. And yes i have used it. Its timed where the car is slightly higher revved than idle. I would say like 1000 rpm. (my tach dont work.) I dont remember, this is advanced right? Being retarded is when the engine runs slower?

I still say the plugs do not lie. It's obvious which two are skipping.

get yourself a chiltons, it will show step by step basic tuneup procedure and provide the basic specs. there is a troubleshooting section as well.

sounds like valve timing to me

I hope he allready checked valve timing, who knows, I'm frustrated
he is making something so simple, so hard.
I got my 1st motor manual before I got my 1st car
my dad told me, if your gonna drive, ya better learn how to work on it. lol

Oh Boy,....Valve timing would affect all cyls,, not just a couple, and nothing has indicated a valve timing issue..

-
Back