Cylinder head interchangeability

-

Reaction score
Starting to build a 2007 Hemi for a 68 Dart. The hemi is a car block. I plan to delete the MDS next and send it to the shop for some work. Ran across some heads on FB market place with Comp springs new push rods and lifters. The heads are 2012. Only 200 miles on them and the guy wants 700. My question is will the 2012 heads work on a 2007 block? And if so how will the Comp springs affect my cam choice when doing the MDS delete?

Thanks
5258 Mike

Those would be Eagle heads and will flow better out of the box than your 07 heads. But they have smaller combustion chambers and jack the compression ratio pretty high. Google Hemi Eagle swap and you should get some ideas on what you can do to use them if you don’t want 12:1 or more compression. Might even be higher than that.

Ok so the Eagle heads sounds to be similar for Hemis as the X heads were for 340's. If so based on everything he has with the deal 700 sounds like a win. I need the push rods and the valves regardless for the CAM upgrade and MDS delete. Which those 2 new around 550$ alone.

Thanks
Mike

I am going down the same path as you are, Eagle heads on a pre Eagle shortblock. I got my heads from a pull-a-part for $140 for the pair with rocker gear. They are not hard to pull. Most of the time the exhaust is cut from them from removing the cats so all the work is from the top of the engine bay.
As Dion mentioned the heads are nice BUT you will need a 70 thous thick head gasket to keep the compression down unless this is a race engine. If you have to shave the heads to clean up the sealing surface that will make the compression go up more. That being said you really need to buy two pushrod checking tools to get the lifter preload correct or you may be bending things as there is no adjustment. On the springs Mopar sells a spring that drops in and uses the Eagle retainer and is good to .625 lift. Part #68277306AA. Google it and find the best deal. Normally ~$80 bucks for 16 shipped. Also your pre Eagle intake manifold will not work.
You really need the spring numbers to see if they will work with the cam you are using. Are the lifters Mopar brand non-mds lifters? From everything I read they are the best.

-
Back