Cylinder head question

-

johnmusk

Reaction score
I have a Dodge Dart 2013 1.4 liter turbo with some valve trouble. Initially (this car is a mechanic's special), cylinder #4 lost compression...so I pulled the head.
The head seems ok but the #4 exhaust valves are "popped" out of their seats...maybe 1/16"...just enough to lose all compression.
So I cleaned all the carbon off, lapped the two exhaust valves, reinstalled, and checked for leaks. They are still "popped out" and leaking like crazy.
Is this a manufacturing defect? Were the seats cut wrong? This car made 120k miles before it had trouble. I'm at a total loss for what's going on. The springs look fine. Thank you.
I'm attaching a photo of the valves before I cleaned them. You can see how the left one looks "popped out"

number 4 exhaust valves.jpg

"Popped out" and "Lapped In"..... im having trouble seeing how that could happen at the same time.

Did you check the cam timing before the head came off?

The previous owner told me he had the timing belt replaced, so I checked it out and the timing was spot on. However, he did say the belt was "making noise" before that though, so who knows what happened. The other valves were tight, so I should be able to use one and see if it seals in #4.

I didn't see any nicks on the piston, but it does have some carbon on it. I'll clean it tomorrow and get a good photo. Thanks everyone for helping.

Looks like you guys knocked it out quick. I put a valve from #2 in and it sealed perfect, barely had my thumb on it.

I have to order at least two valves, does the cylinder head and piston normally survive something like this? The valves in #4 seem to be going in tight like the other cylinders. The car was running well when I bought it (assuming you think running on 3/4 cylinders is running well). So, fingers crossed all I need is two new valves.

Is the cam holding the valves open , is the valve seat loose and coming out ? Have the valves heads tulip

I cleaned the top of the piston with a little brake cleaner. I can't see any marks on it.

number 4 after cleaning.jpg

IDK, man: I'm thinking valve job. It'd a turbo car right?
Valves don't bend by themselves, and if a valve doesn't close, it only takes seconds to burn a seat. If something went thru there to bend the valve, guess were it is now; Hyup, in the turbo. If the stems are tight, fix it, or you'll be back yanking the head again soon.

It's a turbo yes. I am still agreeing with the piston hitting the two exhaust valves, even though I can't see a mark. The turbo is fine, the car was running well before I removed the cylinder head (just running on 3 cylinders).

Will there always be a mark on the piston if it hits a valve?

-
Back