cylinder scarring

-

hampton123

Reaction score
So i got the big ugly gouge in my cylinder wall. Cylinder 3. I micd the top of the cylinder and got an average of 3.435 (wasn't perfectly clean) so that would put my engine at .040 over if my math its right. Now i don't have the tools to measure how deep it is and i can't figure out the picture adding part because i don't have a computer just my phone, but i can see that it's about an eighth in wide. If I bored it out would i be making the walls too thin? Should i sleeve just that one cylinder? Everyone at work (precision tune) says it's time got a v8 but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on the old slant. We've been through too much.

There's about a million slants out there that ran fine when pulled. Offer $100 and you'll likely have several to choose from. I've got two of em but too far away...

well depending on how many miles, carbon, and other issues i would actually think you have a .030 over, though they dont have those these days i have seen very changes in sizes in the old stuff. If it was .040 over and had wear the hole would be bigger not smaller.

as far as the bore you can go .105 on every block, with the right block .150 is possible. Summit sells a 3.460 piston for cheap, i run the same thing but an .080 over and they they work perfect.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-244np60/overview/make/dodge

i would call total seal and use there rings though

well depending on how many miles, carbon, and other issues i would actually think you have a .030 over, though they dont have those these days i have seen very changes in sizes in the old stuff. If it was .040 over and had wear the hole would be bigger not smaller.

as far as the bore you can go .105 on every block, with the right block .150 is possible. Summit sells a 3.460 piston for cheap, i run the same thing but an .080 over and they they work perfect.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-244np60/overview/make/dodge

i would call total seal and use there rings though

Thank you that is exactly the info I wanted to hear. It will be going to the machine shop for more accurate measuring next week. I will post the numbers when i get them. I think my turbo build might be turning into a cammed up build.:burnout:

Worse comes to worse you can always sleeve the offending hole. It's normally a little more than $100 per hole.

Worse comes to worse you can always sleeve the offending hole. It's normally a little more than $100 per hole.

"Offending hole" That's a goodun. Sounds like a skanky hooker.

Ok so i should continue with my plan of stock cam grind oversize valves light port and polish with a gasket match on the head. Also shave just enough off the head and block to true them up. Just need to finish doing my research on carb and distributor

Ok so i should continue with my plan of stock cam grind oversize valves light port and polish with a gasket match on the head. Also shave just enough off the head and block to true them up. Just need to finish doing my research on carb and distributor

on ebay there are 1.7/1.44 valves from engbuldr (or close to that) and are under 100 bucks, most all the slant guys I know run them and never have issues. as far as the head sounds like a good deal.

You can run the stock distributor just fine just have it re curved for your application. and for the carb either a 2 or 4 holley, 4 would probably be easier and better mpg.

anybody have a link to those valves? I've been searching ebay all morning and can't find them. Also is there a recommendation on a 4 holley model for blow thru? Can I buy one that is already set up or would it be cheaper to buy used and modify?

-
Back