Cylinder wall thickness: what is too thin??

-

73ScampSS

Reaction score
I have this block I machined in auto school, era 1978-ish 360 block, .040" over. I have ALL the parts ready to be assembled, including 40-over pistons. Upon testing the block, I found a spot midway down on the 6th cylinder which has a thickness of .088". :banghead: :eek:ops:

I have heard never use a block with a cyl thinner than .090". I dont know what to do, since I already have the pistons which cant be returned. Should I build it and run it as-is, since the spot is midway down on the cyl, or should I have the block sleeved... what do the pros think??

Where is the "spot"? Is it front, back, inside(toward lifter valley) or outside? Odd side or even side of cylinders?

Is it just a small spot, say the size of a quarter? Or is it a large area? How thick is the surrounding area?

Is this for a 3.58 stroke (stock) or 4"? As MRL asked - where is the thin spot? (in terms of compass point, if "North" is the front of the engine... what cylinder, what compass point, and how high up the bore is it?)

If the rest is .09 then .002" uh build it and don't look back.Whats the rest measure?

the rest of the cyls are over .100".

I would hate to get it all together and then crack a cyl or something.

btw it is stock stroke, but i was hoping to make some power with mild porting on the iron head, comp 268H cam, eagle forged crank and I-beam rods, keith black hyper-u pistons and somewhere around 9.5:1

It's thin, but not a big deal. That's along the pin axis of the bore. It's not a high stress point. So long as the testor confirmed that's the thinnest and the thin area is restricted to that spot you're fine.

Yup, not a high stress point, they are thinner in those areas anyway. Run it you wont have any issues

-
Back