D100 Slant six will this work?

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I didn't get a response over at truck site so I thought I would ask here. 1964 D100 Utiline short box. I'm thinking of building a STOCK (peanut head super six 2bbl) /6 and changing to AT (A904 non-lockup) and adding AC. The truck would be strictly for driving to shows or road trips. Would it get out of it's own way and do Hwy speed say 70-75 mph. I have 2.76, 2.94, 3.23 and 3.91 gears to choose from my stash. I had a 80s something LB Ram with a /6 but, it didn't have AC and I don't remember the rear end ratio. It wasn't a hot rod but, it went 70-80 mph on the highway. The 64 now has a A745 with 3 on the tree and 3.91s. 60-65mph max any higher seems too much rpm but, never checked it. I'm lowering and putting in SIDS axle with disk brakes plus power steering. What do ya think?

I didn't get a response over at truck site so I thought I would ask here. 1964 D100 Utiline short box. I'm thinking of building a STOCK (peanut head super six 2bbl) /6 and changing to AT (A904 non-lockup) and adding AC. The truck would be strictly for driving to shows or road trips. Would it get out of it's own way and do Hwy speed say 70-75 mph. I have 2.76, 2.94, 3.23 and 3.91 gears to choose from my stash. I had a 80s something LB Ram with a /6 but, it didn't have AC and I don't remember the rear end ratio. It wasn't a hot rod but, it went 70-80 mph on the highway. The 64 now has a A745 with 3 on the tree and 3.91s. 60-65mph max any higher seems too much rpm but, never checked it. I'm lowering and putting in SIDS axle with disk brakes plus power steering. What do ya think?

2.76 is fine for a Valiant, but I bet that heavy truck needs a 2.94 to get that speed and low RPM's. How heavy is a D100?

What year is the engine and trans? 68-earlier engines have a different sized (smaller) torque converter snout. You can use a later engine with an earlier trans if you use the adapter bushing. ANY slant I build will get the head shaved to bring the compression up to around 9:1. Makes a noticeable difference in power output, and I can still use 87-89 octane gas.
As far as gears go, kinda depends on the tire diameter. Overall, 3.23's are a great all round gear to use.

I think it is about 3600 lbs. The engine and trans are out of a running dart. Not sure what year but, has the 5 freeze plugs.

Last edited:
I think it is about 3600 lbs. The engine and trans are out of a running dart. Not sure what year but, has the 5 freeze plugs.
Perfect then. I would still shave the head as the factory compression is notoriously low.
Do the Early Dodge trucks use the same oil pans as cars? I had a 72 D100 and it used a different oil pan than what was used in car applications.

Search Google Images for a photo of the various slant oil pans, from slantsix.org or Allpar I recall.
The factory RV2 compressor is heavy and will rob power, though it cools like a beast. If you have time, search for Sanden brackets from a 78-79 Volare. Many truck slants put the alternator on the driver's side, but yours is from a car. If you don't have power steering, you can use that pad on the block to mount custom Sanden brackets. Syed did that on a 1964 and I am currently fabbing some for my slant, but nothing custom is trivial.

What satisfies drivers varies. You will probably accelerate faster than the guys who complain about their diesels on a M-B site, especially the non-turbo ones. Just about any engine can get you to 75 mph on flat land if you can wait. Rodney King proved a 4 cyl Hyundai econobox can do 85 mph carrying 4 big guys. You should see what people drive in developing countries. When I was in Indonesia in the 1980's they were advertising the new Super-Kijang minivan w/ 1 L engine (replaced 750 cc) and you should see what they pack into those and drive on mountain roads.

Thanks for the responses. The current /6 in the truck is original with no AC or PS. Mine is a 64 so the alternator is on the passenger side. The /6 from the Dart has AC/PS. Front sump pan in front of cross member and I'll have to fab a AT mount. I was just wondering if the AT /6 in the truck would get it down the road at 70-80. The 80's ram weighted about 4500lbs and it did it but, a Sweptline is a flying brick!

-
Back