dads christmas present in the making

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
Well i like giving my family members things i have built as holiday gifts. this year the ol' man is getting a dodge tailgate bench. picked up the tailgate from a local wrecking yard a few yrs back and its just been hanging on the wall in the garage. so i decided it would make for a pretty cool patio bench. here are the progress pics.

the seat frame.

then i got the rear legs and back support finished.

gotta build the front legs and the arm rests yet but i think its going to be pretty cool. the seat portion will be done in wood planks with the steel strips like in old truck beds.

Thats freakin (OTHER choice word here) AWESOME! NOW if I could get my Step-Son to cough up **** like this I'd have it made!

NICE work!!!

Ramie I hope so! I know if I were the Dad getting that seat, I'd be a happy camper and it serve 2 purposes, the wife would be getting a bench for her gardening efforts.....SO, it be kinda a gift to both of us! :D

I'm still impressed!

I knew when I seen this thread it was going to be friggin cool for sure :cheers:
younggun2.0 :glasses7: You rock a bunch of dad's worlds with your crafty ideas :color:
It is going to look like an old truck bed to enjoy :glasses7:

thanks guys. im pretty stoked. the seat portion will be wood either maple or red oak with the metal hold down strips. just like an old truck. im thinking i might even do the tail gate chains looped on the sides with the rubber sleeve over em. i have seen some that go the whole way and attach bumpers and lights and all that jazz but i like simple and clean.

I have to agree that some times less is more youngun :color:

that rocks

any idea if you are going to make the frame the same patina as the tailgate?

that rocks

any idea if you are going to make the frame the same patina as the tailgate?

gonna have to powder coat the frame. its free for me as i have a hook up. that and its going outside in a covered patio so i want the metal protected. the tailgate is going to be scotch bright'd to knock off any scale and then i will clear the tailgate to preserve it and protect the patina.

here is the little bit of progress tonight.

frame is almost done. got a few small things left and have to dress the welds then its off to powder coat.

Ermhagerd I want!

ERMAHGERD! DERGE TRRK! hahaha...

Good work.

I was a little worried about the tailgate eyelets up high, until I saw pics of the arms going on. Those might have caused some damage on an open sided bench!

Looks nice.

I'm making a couple of things for Amy, this year. Maybe I'll post a few pics later this week.

I thought about doing almost the same thing, but I thought about making it a bit taller and using a bumper as a foot rest. Love what you are doing and can't wait to see it finished!

I have a tailgate for anyone interested. Maybe I should put it on the for sale forum

-
Back